PDA

View Full Version : Conical Mold

saz
05-19-2009, 12:57 AM
I have been shooting No Excuses conicals in my inline .50 (1:28 twist) and I have been playing around on the mountain molds website kicking around ideas for a conical mold for my .50, but also for my 58 kodiak. How much larger than the bore should one make the mold?? I know that you can order a sizing die on here but how much can you actually size down a pure lead bullet? Also, my kodiak has a 1:48 twist, and I was playing around with the bullet weight and it was saying that about a 600gr bullet at .580 is a good match for that twist. Seems awful heavy for a slower twist but it would be awesome if it worked. I love shooting heavy conicals- the 495gr out of my .50 are tack drivers!!!! I have printed a few sub 1" groups with them @100yds- absolutely unbelieveable! I need a sledgehammer for a griz hunt I am planning when I get home. Any advice is welcome!

Underclocked
05-19-2009, 01:41 PM
If I were designing a mold, I wouldn't go more than .003" over desired final dimension. Depending upon the bullet design, you can go as much as .006" and still have a very shootable bullet, but it will show some smearing from the sizing.

I've sized .457 to .451 and still got very decent accuracy.

http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/500/49Elite020106.jpg

http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/1/49bigboys.jpg

saz, Bull Shop can sell you some great boolits at prices that make it hardly worth the effort to roll your own.

Nobade
05-19-2009, 07:03 PM
If that 58 Kodiak you mention is the Pedersoli double, I would strongly recommend against conical bullets in it. The recoil from the first shot can dislodge the bullet from the second barrel, with none too good results. If it is a single barrel rifle, then go for it - just keep in mind you'll lose a lot of velocity and gain a lot of recoil. And there's not a whole lot of things a 58 roundball can't shoot completely through anyway. You'll want to spec the mould so it's maybe .001 over bore diameter, and size them to .001 - .0005 under bore dia, so the weight of the ramrod will seat them. Cast from nearly pure lead with a stout charge of real BP, they'll seal the bore and shoot well. Make sure you spec big lube grooves to keep the bore nice and wet for easy loading.

saz
05-20-2009, 10:01 AM
I shoot the Lee minnie in it and I havent had any problem with the second barrel's bullet walking off the powder. I also shoot roundballs in it with a rather stout charge of 2f and no issues there. I was very careful when I first got the rifle because I had heard of that very problem. I am just looking for options with shooting a big conical- costal brownies get pretty big in AK....... I will have a buddy backing me up with his 416, but I'd rather not have to rely on him.

mooman76
05-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Have you tried Dixiegunworks? They have a good selection of 58 moulds.