PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Case

redneckdan
03-04-2006, 11:00 PM
How does one remove a stuck case? I made a redneck case remover, basicly a 1/4-20 bolt that inserts through a standard shell holder, drill/tap the bottom of the case for 1/4-20 and yank the case out; cept for the fact that I'm giver 'er all I got and I'll I'm getting done is lifting the table off the floor. I'm soaking it with wd-40 right now... help! [smilie=b:

David R
03-04-2006, 11:07 PM
This has been discussed here before. I ended up buying a new set of dies. Most said they could send it back to the manufactor and it would be replaced or they would get it out. I kept on trying things like heat, freezing....until I destroyed the die.

David

woody1
03-04-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure I can describe this but here goes. First if you've got some kroil, try it. You need to somehow thread a nut on your bolt and then get the nut to apply pressure on the die as you turn it. This will then apply pressure to the bolt that you've threaded into the case head. Clear as mud? You've got the bolt to thread into the case head...you need to apply pressure slow and steady to the die and/or press with the nut as you turn it down/up the bolt. Will take some sort of a shim system. Mebe washers or a short piece of pipe between the nut and the die. Well I gave it a shot. Good luck and regards, Woody

More....I have driven 'em out but mostly that doesn't work. If you can get into the top of the die and get the punch out you'll prob'ly drive the head off the case. Then you're back to where you are now and need to use an easyout or a tap to grip the case with. I have never ruined a die..knock,knock..BUT IT TOOK ME ABOUT A YEAR once to clear the die and I too had bought a new die set by then.

woody1
03-04-2006, 11:26 PM
God the internet is a wonderful thing.........I googled this up...here ya go
http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/reloading/reloading2.html
Regards, Woody

redneckdan
03-04-2006, 11:58 PM
I got it, nothin a some inconel drill rod and a 16lb sledge can't handle.

Buckshot
03-05-2006, 06:18 AM
God the internet is a wonderful thing.........I googled this up...here ya go
http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/reloading/reloading2.html
Regards, Woody

.............A variation on the theme. Instead of the conduit connector you can use a socket. D&T the base of the case then set the socket down over it. Put a suitable washer on the socket and stick the bold through. Tighten and 'presto-chango' teh stuck case becomes the FORMER stuck case.

.................Buckshot

David R
03-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Just had a thought like a lightning bolt hit me. After reading about the Kroil, I thought why not drill and tap it, screw a grease fitting in it and " pump " it out. A grease gun develops 10,000 psi. Its how I get a few stuck things out of blind holes.

david

John F. Lang
03-05-2006, 09:03 AM
I simply reach up on the shelf and take down my RSBS Stuck Case Remover in it's little box and proceed as per precedure listed in woody 1's posting.
I sray a little Hornady One Shot around the case while I'm getting set up or WD-40 if there is any in the shop.
Never lost a die for anyone yet with this tool.

If I have someone bring me a die that the case has been seperated at the web area....Now that is a differant hoss completely!
In that case I proceed as per the first part of woody 1's posting about the decapping pin. Then I "bag" the die and throw it in the freezer while I prepare a 1/8 or 1/4 brass rod to take the case out.
I go to the grinder and grind a looong pointy point on the rod and after a time I retrieve the die from the freexer and lock it in the lead jaws of my vise.
I pick and choose a spot somewher around the edge of the seperation and punch it the seperated case web carefully with the brass rod(the sharpened end!0 until I push a little space in between the case and the wall of the die.
Then I'm home free!!!
I then drive the pointy part of the brass rod between the csae wall and the die body wall with the long side of the rod along the die body.
I use a small bal peen hammer for all of this.
The brass rod pushes the case away from the die wall and the case usually just falls loose after driving the rod in a 1/2 inch or so.
It's faster to do than to write about though!
You should invest in a RCBS case puller. They work great.

KCSO
03-05-2006, 04:06 PM
First you buy a lathe...

I turn the bases off and then peel the case with a special chisel I made. Once you get a little of the case loose than Kroil and a tap will do it.

redneckdan
03-05-2006, 04:19 PM
lathe and mill are definitely on the list of things to get after I graduate from college.