PDA

View Full Version : Bauska Rifle Barrel Co.

waksupi
03-04-2006, 08:41 PM
I took this picture last month, and tried to post it before. Then, i found my new computer had a limited time I could use all the phot editing features, without buying the program. They wanted well over a hundred bucks. So, I got a Phot Explosion Deluxe today, and am giving it a try. Cost about $19 after rebate.

Anyhow, with any luck, here is a look inside an old time rifle barrel shop.

swheeler
03-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Don't recognize the guy standing there, one of the "kids", but spent many hours in the shop with Les, and his dog. Held the first BBK action, or prototype, it was an investment casting back from Korea about 88, Les was definately GOOD PEOPLE! Actually there were alot of good and interesting people in that comunity, Les, Bill Wickes, Brian Sipe, Mel Smart, John Durn, John Pitcher, Cameron brothers, and on and on and on- damn Waksupi you're making me homesick! Nothing like a piece of "heaven" nomatter how you Kalispel it.

waksupi
03-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Don't recognize the guy standing there, one of the "kids", but spent many hours in the shop with Les, and his dog. Held the first BBK action, or prototype, it was an investment casting back from Korea about 88, Les was definately GOOD PEOPLE! Actually there were alot of good and interesting people in that comunity, Les, Bill Wickes, Brian Sipe, Mel Smart, John Durn, John Pitcher, Cameron brothers, and on and on and on- damn Waksupi you're making me homesick! Nothing like a piece of "heaven" nomatter how you Kalispel it.

That's Steve Williams, in the photo. And he has a big lab/chesapeake cross for company. Les is still kicking, although pretty frail. Mel Smart is gone now, and was the founder of the company I work for.
Yup, lots of gun people, and related businesses up here.

swheeler
03-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Ric; the stroke Mel had in 89? must have finally did him in. I saw him in Missoula a couple years later and he was in a wheelchair, when I met him he was trying to kick off the then new style of bonded laminate wood stocks, I think he told me he was dealing with Accu-bond back then. The wife and I used to shoot with Mel at the Whitefish Riflerange, he had a beautifully stocked Interarms MK10 30/06, I believe his first laminated stock and his favorite rifle, really quite stunning with nice checkering. We were shooting away at targets, Mel's 30/06, wife 308, me 300 wm, Mel said something is wrong, that thing kicked way to much, went to his bench and he was trying to open the bolt, handle was stuck down, we messed with it a bit and a couple really good whacks with the palm of my hand it opened. When we ejected the fired case we both looked on with wonder, an old gunsmith friend of ours had given him some 06 ball ammo to shoot up, there were a couple 8mm ball cartridges in with it, somehow he had managed to chamber one and fire it, left a strange looking empty! He took the rifle , and the rest of the ammo back to the gunsmith, he checked it over and said everything was still fine- guess that was quite a "proof load" for that mark 10. It wasn't too long after that that Mel had a stroke, and I never got to shoot with him again, I am truely sorry to hear he is gone! Very good news that Les is still kicking around, a true gentleman and for sure a diamond in the rough, a real man's man!
Scot