PDA

View Full Version : Cast in FAL?

LowPE
04-11-2005, 10:31 PM
I am new to the forum, been casting for about 5 years mostly handgun and 303.

Last year I built a FAL from a kit, and I am curious if anyone has experience with cast bullets and the FAL?

--LowPE

PS: I have enjoyed reading the posts on this board -- very educational. I hope that I can contribute too...

Ed Barrett
04-13-2005, 01:30 AM
I had the Brit version the L1A1 that would shoot cast like a bolt rifle. the adjustable gas system allows for some pretty light loads and range of fast to slow powdwes to work the action. I sold the gun 2 years ago I will see if I still have the load data I worked up for it around.

If the barrel is good cast should work great.

LowPE
04-13-2005, 08:37 AM
That's good news & I would appreciate any load data you worked up.

I have a Saeco 254 (115 gr) that I hope will work the action for 25-50 yard plinking. If not, I will try out gradually heavier bullets.

Ed Barrett
04-15-2005, 03:25 AM
I haven't found that load data yet but I'm still looking. My filing system leaves a lot to be desired.

gman
04-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi.

I have a L1A1 and would be interested also. Also a CETME. Been kind of curious about lead slugs down these for target and/or hunting deer.

Thanks,

gman

alohaha
04-30-2005, 03:23 AM
The cetme is a good semi auto to use w/ cast as there is no gas port to get clogged. I killed my chrono with a cast load out of my cetme. Insert Homer Simpson Duhsound here. Aloha

Four Fingers of Death
04-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Hi.

I have a L1A1 and would be interested also. Also a CETME. Been kind of curious about lead slugs down these for target and/or hunting deer.

Thanks,

gman

I carried the SLR as we call the FN/FAL for six and a half years while I was in the Aussie Army and my rotten Govermint won't let me own one. Boy I'm pissed about that. I loved those suckers. Pointed like a shotgun. I carted the things over hill and dale and I'm sure my arms are three inches longer because of it.

Mick.

I think I'll have to travel over to my mate's place in New Zealand and buy one and keep it there. I can't finish up my days without owning my own SLR!

LowPE
04-30-2005, 09:55 AM
I shot some 115 grain plinkers out of the FAL. The light bullet can't work the action, what I expected. Next up is some tests with Lee's C308-160-R which should work fine with the right loads.

The FAL is so easy to clean, that a little extra cleaning (i.e. gas port), shouldn't be too much of a burden.

Four Fingers of Death
04-30-2005, 07:00 PM
I shot some 115 grain plinkers out of the FAL. The light bullet can't work the action, what I expected. Next up is some tests with Lee's C308-160-R which should work fine with the right loads.

The FAL is so easy to clean, that a little extra cleaning (i.e. gas port), shouldn't be too much of a burden.

Have you tried shooting it with the port closed? Just curious.
Mick.

LowPE
05-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Yes, I had fully closed the gas port. I will experiment more with the 115 grainer but I am not very hopeful.

BruceB
05-01-2005, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=4fingermick]I carried the SLR as we call the FN/FAL for six and a half years while I was in the Aussie Army and my rotten Govermint won't let me own one. Boy I'm pissed about that.
Mick.

Back around 1980, I walked into the Lever Arms' store in Vancouver, British Columbia. I'd been having dealings with them for many years at that point, but actual visits to the place were rare as we lived a LONG ways away.

On this occasion, there was a stack of Aussie L1A1 rifles in boxes in the middle of the store, and the pile was about ten feet wide, twenty feet long and five feet high. I'd estimate several thousand FALs were in that group. I don't recall the price right off, but I ended up with three of them over a period of several years and I reckon about $200 would be close.

Also, they all still had the safety sear which is needed for full-auto fire, and a minute's artful industry with a pull-off beer can tab and a pair of needlenose pliers would give one a full-auto-only L1A1! This wasn't very practical with a rifle of that weight, but for occasional grins and giggles it was pretty cool. You won't find many safety-seared FALS in Canada these days, and there's a five-round limit on mag capacity, too.

I have run a few cast loads through a variety of FALs, but not enough to give any meaningful advice. Functioning was excellent, though.