PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 Gun Show in Springfield, MO...ammo & components report...

lathesmith
05-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Hello all,
I thought it might be of interest to some here, to post a bit about this show, and what was available as far as ammo and loading components were concerned. First of all, it takes $10 to get you in the door (OUCH). From here, primers, powder and other components were readily available. Primers were running anywhere from $35 to $70/1000, and there were plenty available. In general, most powders were in the $20/lb range, depending, and a bit less in bulk. And there was plenty of it, too, with a wide variety. Ammo-wise, there seemed to be plenty of everything--as long as you had deep pockets, of course. I even saw plenty of 380--though with a going rate of $1+ per round, there didn't seem to be much interest.
There was also plenty of black plastic; NO shortages here. So, overall, it looked and felt like a pretty normal gun show--but if you're thinking of doing any buying, plan on bringing a lot bigger wad of green than you would have a year or two ago. Things are returning to "normal", but it ain't the "normal" that we have been accustomed to in the recent past. Just thought some of you would like to know....
lathesmith

j20owner
05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Well, if stuff isn't selling at the high prices, they'll end up coming back down when people get tired of sitting on it making no money. If people keep up the insane spending, the price will never come down for us regular joes.

Jaybird62
05-18-2009, 12:42 AM
I predict that we'll see a slide in prices in July. That's the beginning of a new fiscal year for a lot of companies that make components and wholesalers and retailers will begin to get pressure from manufacturers for their opening orders that sets their discount levels for the entire year.

mike in co
05-18-2009, 01:38 AM
I predict that we'll see a slide in prices in July. That's the beginning of a new fiscal year for a lot of companies that make components and wholesalers and retailers will begin to get pressure from manufacturers for their opening orders that sets their discount levels for the entire year.

wrong....deals are set at the beginging of the year. two main shows the shot and one other mag /wholesale show.

and the supply and demand is as has been said before.......the demand is still high...july it aint gonna be( i wish...but think closer to the end of the year).
mike in co

EDK
05-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Check GRAFS web site for primers..."NO PRODUCT AVAILABLE"....and then tell me things are getting back to normal

I went to the Belleville IL gun show two weeks ago and the only Small Pistol primers I saw were Winchester magnums at $45 and $50 per thousand. Wolfe LP that were $20 at the previous show were $36!

BUT on a positive note, the local guy (DUNNS', Peveley MO) has ben pricing at suggested retail on the components he has in stock and has been getting in. He had SP primers and sold out quickly last week. Sunday (5-17) I stopped by and they were labeling CCI SP at $30...6000 followed me home. (They also had LOTS of FEDERAL promotional (?) 22 LR at $1.49; First time I ever bought a CASE of 22 LR!)

Things MAY get better, but I'll continue to keep an eye out for bargains (LOL) on primers and powder or once fired brass. I've been approached by casual friends from work wanting to know if I will reload for them (several calibers that I don't) or wanting to know where to find ammunition.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

schutzen
05-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Same story for Dunn's in Paducah, KY. They have LP, SR, SRM, and 209 primers of various brands from Win-CCI-PMC-Wolf in stock. They are prices from $27-31 per K.

They are short of the very popular calibers of brass, but have a fair selection of calibers.

Ole
05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
You won't see components widely available until the ammo shortage is over.

I did my durndest to use of some of my primer stockpile yesterday. :mrgreen: I would have shot more, but it got too dang hot.

Jaybird62
05-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Mike:
My prediction of a beginning in prices heading south in Q3 is just my opinion. I've been to 18 of the last 20 SHOT Shows, more NASGW shows than I can count, ran a division of Beretta for four years and I've been working in the outdoors industry for 22 years. We may never see prices like we had two years ago, but there will probably be corporate adjustments made in the next three months that will have a trickle-down effect. Some anti-gun politics could push prices higher, though, as a renewed buying panic re-ignites.

Storydude
05-18-2009, 04:27 PM
When is the last time ANYONE here saw component prices(other than Lead shot, which is a commodity in and of itself).....DROP?