PDA

View Full Version : Broken Buckshot Mold.

Bobby Ironsights
05-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Well, I bought a buckshot mold in #000, in hopes of feeding my ten gauges cheaper from an ebay seller, skiesunlimited; during the winter. So, yesterdays snowfall has already melted and it looks like the rest of the month of May will be nice and sunny and warm up here in Northern Ontario, so I finally started casting with my new mold, (and a few other molds too).

This mold casted fast, after getting up to temperature, and I was as pleased as punch with it, until about 5 or 6 casts before it broke, when it started getting more and more difficult to open. I checked if there was any little fragment of lead in the joint, but there was no visible reason why. I thought maybe I just had to break it in, and it would loosen up again after awhile. I had to give it a little jerk to get it to open, and then it just broke. There doesn’t seem to be any sort of void or casting flaw. I really don’t know what happened, but I’m really disappointed. I thought about high temperature epoxying it back into place, but the center ring is still solidly stuck into place on the pivot pin.What is shown is all I got from the mold, before failure. So very sad!

This was much faster than casting them one at a time with my lyman mold, that’s for sure. I'm gonna write skiesunlimited, and see what he says.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/BobbyIronsights/bummold.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/BobbyIronsights/bummold2.jpg

Storydude
05-17-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm sure he'll make it right. I have one of his rejects and although it was hard to open cold, once I got it HOT it worked excellent ever since. I found on mine it works best to cast once and let the alloy sit in the mold for 15-20 seconds to warm it up nicely. dump those back in the pot, and it starts filling 80% next cast, 100% the following.
Again, I'm sure he'll make it good.

Bobby Ironsights
05-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Ooops, just noticed I posted in the wrong category. MOD?

mikenbarb
05-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Yep, He's a great guy and im sure he will make good on it.
PS- I use Bull Plate Lube on the hinges of the three Sharpshooters I have and they work perfect. I also smoke the cavities like a Lee.