PDA

View Full Version : Lube types

bushwack
05-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I am new to this casting but have learned a lot already from this forum, thanks to all. I am going to be casting for a 9mm (smith and wesson m & p, browning high power, high point carbing) and was wondering what the best lube was.
I have narrowed it down to LLA or JPW or a mix with beeswax. But if your mixing with LLA does it need to be the Alox 350?
Does anyone have a recipe using LLA, JPW and beeswax. Or would it be best to just go with Lars BAC?
Could you give me your input.
Thanks for your help.

SpaceGlocker
05-17-2009, 05:38 PM
I have Javelina (50% beeswax and Alox) in the for sale section.....

cajun shooter
05-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Buy the BAC until you have your casting down and can branch out. There is a sticky on lube recipes. Read Glen Fryxell sticky section and buy Lyman Cast Bullet book. Later David

runfiverun
05-18-2009, 09:14 AM
thin the lla out 50-50 with mineral spirits add about 1/4 the amount you think you need.
tumble them, let dry for a day or so.
i like to then mix jpw 3 parts to 1 part melted b-wax.
stir together till it forms a nice paste [consistancy] and is still warm, then do the 1/4 as much as you think you need thing again.
let sit for another day or so and load. it will look kinda flaky but will firm right up as it sits.

mtgrs737
05-18-2009, 10:03 AM
+1 on the thinned out LLA or Lars Liquid Xlox. I have both and they are the easy and inexpensive way to go. If you want a heavier coat, let the first application dry and then do them again. I often will size and lube my oversized boolits with BAC then after loading I will paint the bore rider nose section with thinned LLA so that little lead is unlubed. After the first couple of shots this is most likely not needed but I am kinda anal about some things and I take the time.