PDA

View Full Version : Did a bunch of pouring (not casting) today

ghh3rd
05-17-2009, 04:32 PM
I gathered up 78 lbs of old lead from undesirable and unknown sources that I didn't know what to do with. Part was a 33 lb chunk of lead I found on the road that looked terrible when I smelted it.

I purchased a Do-It egg sinker mold with 9 sizes from 1/8 to 3 ounces and got busy today. I now have over 70 lbs of assorted egg sinkers!

Hmmm, I wonder if I could melt down all of that Zinc I've saved and make some "environmentally friendly" sinkers?

Randy

runfiveswife
05-17-2009, 05:14 PM
we make sinkers too they work great,

shotman
05-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Alice the rivers out there require ingots not sinkers

randyrat
05-17-2009, 05:38 PM
No, save your zink. It may be worth more than lead some day. Besides you can learn to make boolits out of it and paper patch them.
#1.....Idaho,,,, You need some downrigger weights. 10-12 lbers for that cold fast water commng down from the mountains.

NuJudge
05-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if I could melt down all of that Zinc I've saved and make some "environmentally friendly" sinkers?

Randy

Ahem. Zinc is not considered to be a non-toxic metal. At best, it's a less-toxic metal.

CDD

ghh3rd
05-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Zinc is not considered to be a non-toxic metal. At best, it's a less-toxic metal.

I should have realized that as I was typing it. I remember hearing that over time the Zinc from pennies thrown into porpoise tanks at attractions was making them sick.

I guess it is a good idea to save the Zinc, sinc someday we probably will have to figure out how to cast and shoot it.

Thanks

Randy

Slow Elk 45/70
05-18-2009, 01:59 AM
+1 On saving , waste not , want not....the way things are going at this time , you may need it.