PDA

View Full Version : Another reloading error and other additional rules

joeb33050
05-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Looking for any additional comments and suggestions.

ANOTHER RELOADING ERROR AND OTHER ADDITIONAL RULES

Wednesday, April 29, 2009, the cast bullet cartridges for the Savage Striker and Competitor pistols were obviously loaded too fast, recoil was much higher than usual. I fired the first, then a second cartridge to see if the first was a fluke, in both pistols.
The powder charge for each was 10 grains more than planned. The cause was that my powder scale was set 10 grains higher than it should have been. Thus a 12.5-grain charge became a 22.5-grain wrong charge, and a 16-grain charge became a 26-grain wrong charge.
I thought the scale was set at 12.5, it was set at 22.5. Then setting for 16, I set the scale for 26-in error.
About 18 years ago I had my first reloading error resulting in my blowing up a NEF Handi-Rifle and blowing off a lot of my trigger finger. It was my fault, I was in too much of a hurry while reloading. This was my only reloading error in 49 years of reloading mostly cast bullets, until last Wednesday.
I don’t know why this last error happened and wonder if it has to do with my age, I’m 71.
At an Old Colony match Marlin Bassett asked me about all the details of my first accident; mentioned that he had had a/some problems, and said that if it happened to him again he’d quit the game. I’m not the only one.

ADDITIONAL RELOADING RULES
Each time I use the scale, I will put it on zero, check the zero, then set the scale to the desired weight. Means that if I’m going to load 13, 14 and 15 grains of a powder, I’ll set the scale to zero and zero it EACH time I set the scale.
I went to the “Cast Boolits” forum, told the story, and got these suggestions:

“Springfield”::
Whenever I am setting up a new bullet and weigh the charges, I always double it to check. If I am running a 12 grain charge, after I get it set right I will set the scale to 24 and measure 2 charges. If it is still good I will reset and measure 3 charges. Makes it very difficult to get it wrong. Haven't blown up anything yet.
(I’ve adopted this as a rule. It is simple, easy for me to remember, and works.)

“1 Shirt”
Glad you are ok Joe. Having blown one myself, and lucky enough not to loose anything other than a little feeling in my thumb for a coouple of weeks, and a lot of embarassment, I now adhere to the following: If the charge does not fill at least half the case, I weigh all loaded rounds for consistancy. I always check the digital with the old lyman, and or visa versa befor charging cases. On fast powder loads, l always weigh all of the finished loads for consistancy. (key here is to use all the same head stamps). It is extra work, but don't want to ruin another rifle, and definately don't want to ruin me any more than I alreald have.

A number of folks suggested using an electronic scale, which I have avoided because of reports of trouble. I bought one, it’s now waiting to be returned. I’ll order another. This would stop me from setting the tens poise incorrectly.

felix
05-17-2009, 09:08 AM
I caught myself several times over the last five years, Joe, using my "trusty" 10-10 scale. Yes, I will attest to the Old Age syndrome. It's real, and we don't need numerics to prove it. A blown off finger suffices to say the least. I have been doing both suggestions you have stated above, starting about eight years ago. I have caught myself TWICE since then and can remember distinctly the circumstances. No hurry during reloading each time. Just plain worn out eyeball-brain connect. ... felix

Calamity Jake
05-17-2009, 09:45 AM
If your going to buy an electronic, get a Pact, Lyman or RCBS (All made by Pact)

monadnock#5
05-17-2009, 10:26 AM
It took me a while to warm up to my Lyman digital. From taking it out of the box to throwing the first charge takes 40 to 45 minutes without shortcuts. For the Lyman unit there's no time saving to consider.

Over time, I've come to appreciate the need to start from zero with each use. What I especially like about it is that it gives me a readout that I have to look at to see that I'm getting what I'm looking for. If I can't have speed, I'll settle for accuracy. So, no shortcuts, no hurry up.

If there were a "10 Commandments of Reloading Safety", "you can't verify your powder charge too many times" would be up there with "thou shalt not smoke or use a die grinder in the reloading room".

dromia
05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
When I set my scales for a load I always verifly it with check weights, not so much just to check the scale but to give me two chances at setting the correct weight on the scale.

If my check weights can't give me the exact then I go to the nearest.

BruceB
05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Us "older gents" (I'm now 66) probably need all the help we can get. I've been using a PACT digital scale for at least ten years, and likely a good bit longer than that. It's a wonderful device, and my 10-10 Ohaus hasn't been used in many years.

I leave the scale "ON" all the time, 24 hours per day, seven days per week. No warm-up time. The scale is calibrated before every loading session, and my check weight (mentioned here previously) is the scale's own powder pan. Works great.

In use, I "tare" (zero) the scale with a sized-and-primed case, then adjust the powder measure to throw the desired charge in that case. Once the correct charge weight is being dispensed, I LOCK the powder-measure adjustment with a pipe wrench or vise-grips. The setting WILL NOT CHANGE, although I still test the locking nut periodically to see if it's less-than-finger-tight. I also test-weigh the load occasionally, keeping in mind that the scale must first be zeroed when using a different case than the one originally used. The locking nut on my RCBS measure has no knurling left at all, as it has been so thoroughly chewed-up by my locking procedure over the years.

The great feature of the PACT scale is the large and easily-read number display. For older eyes, it's a huge boon.

dromia
05-18-2009, 02:06 AM
Ditto what BruceB said on the Pact, I'd be lost without mine now. I have the dispenser as well and they are a great combo.