PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning revolver cylinders

Wally
05-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I shoot a lot of .38/.44 Specials in my magnum revolvers. Gunk builds up from my doing so that I never could totally remove with a brush & solvent. I tried other methods, none being satisfactory...until yesterday. This is what I did/used:

1) I obtained a Dremel tool/drill
2) I had a bubby make be an adapter that chucks into the tool that has a female threaded end that accepts std. sized cleaning brushes
3) I purchsed two Outers pistol brushes in the .38 and .44 Calibers--both made of Tenex (Not bronze)
4) I screwed on the brush to the adpater chucked into the Dremel tool/drill.
5) I wraped the brush with a no. of strands of copper from a Chore Boy copper cleaning pad
6) You try to get enough strands to make a tight fit into the revolver cylinder chamber..you then instert and turn on the Dremel too.
7) You slowly pull the tool back & forth (but never totally out) of the cylinder. I did each of the six chamber for 15~25 seconds.

The cylinders are now as clean as they can be! This method has worked better than anything else that I have ever tried/used. If you'd like--you can run a patch of bore solvent through each cylinder chamber and leave for a few days to loosen up the gunk...but be sure to clean it out with a patch soaked in carb cleaner (Gumout) first. If you don't the solvent will lubricate the brush (that has the copper strands attached to it), making it less effective.

My Dremel has 6 speed settings---at level 6 the cylinder heats up quickly--don't get it too hot or it will melt the Tenex plastic bristles on the brush!

Hope this will be of help for many others..wish I would have thought of this sooner!

Calamity Jake
05-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Been doing that for years, just use a drill motor in stead of Dremel and I use the next largest caliber brush, ie clean 38/357 cylinder with 44 brush.

cajun shooter
05-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Wally, If you use 38 and 44 chamber brushes on your cylinders then you don't have to dremel them with chore boy. Most people only buy the barrel brushes when they purchase cleaning equipment. The barrel brushes are sized for the barrel not the chamber. Everyone knows that revolver cylinder chambers are larger than the barrel. Many places sell them in the bronze. You can also use 41 brushes on the 38 and 45 brushes on the 44. Later David

jcwit
05-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I've used "Gumout" carb & injector cleaner with excellent results. Its worked better than any gun cleaner I've tried and I've tried a bunch.

I will try the Chore Boy method you describe tho, sounds good. Don't know why I never thought of it as I use it to remove leading in my 9mm. Only cal. I have that problem with.

Whitespider
05-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I've also been spinning a brush in my revolver chambers for years. I just cut a cleaning rod off and chuck it in my cordless drill. Every reloading/cleaning bench should be equipped with a cordless drill, tons of uses.

KY_Camper
05-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the tips! I have had this problem shooting 38's in my 357 and thought I was doing something wrong.:roll:

Wally
05-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I have done so--the larger brushes larger wear out quickly and then no longer clean out the gunk. I do shoot a lot in the course of a year, however with the primer shortage I maybe shooting less now.

Wally

44man
05-17-2009, 01:37 PM
No need to run them dry. Put some M-Pro 7 on the brush and watch carbon flow out like crazy. You will have shiny steel chambers when done. I flush them in the laundry tub with hot water, also the brush. M-Pro 7 also cleans the front of cylinders using a brass suede brush.

Shiloh
05-17-2009, 03:45 PM
As already stated, Stainless Chore Boys work great. Used a little Flitz on one to remove the flame discoloration from the front of a stainless cylinder as well.

Shiloh

Frank
05-17-2009, 03:52 PM
44man says

I flush them in the laundry tub with hot water, also the brush. M-Pro 7 also cleans the front of cylinders using a brass suede brush.
:shock: 44man, do you mean the washing machine? :mrgreen:

DLCTEX
05-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Frank, I''ll bet he means the sink in the laundry room, to keep SWMBO from bringing down wrath upon his head for using the sink in the kitchen or bath.

44man
05-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah, just the sink in the basement. M-Pro7 is water based and rinses right out. My water is very hot and it dries fast. A quick wipe, a few patches and some Sheath and lube and it is done. I suppose it cuts my cleaning time in half.
Works great with the barrel too.

bobthenailer
05-17-2009, 07:15 PM
i also use a brush wrapped with chor boy but i use a cordless drill on slow speed ! workes excellent

JIMinPHX
05-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I use a cordless drill with a bronze brush that has a little strip of lead-away cloth draped over it.

Frank
05-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Frank, I''ll bet he means the sink in the laundry room, to keep SWMBO

What's SWMBO? :mrgreen:

stubshaft
05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I have done so--the larger brushes larger wear out quickly and then no longer clean out the gunk. I do shoot a lot in the course of a year, however with the primer shortage I maybe shooting less now.

Wally

When they wear out then wrap them in chore boy or 0000 steel wool.

Whitespider
05-17-2009, 10:10 PM
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

Frank
05-17-2009, 11:01 PM
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

Oh, right!! :neutral:

kelbro
05-17-2009, 11:55 PM
I use a swab with a generous amount of Kroil on it. Let it soak for a day or so. Follow with a brass brush soaked in more Kroil. Couple of dry patches and the lead/powder is gone. A little Flitz on one of those blue paper shop towels makes quick work of the face of the cylinder.

JIMinPHX
05-21-2009, 03:47 PM
When they wear out then wrap them in chore boy or 0000 steel wool.

Or use them for a smaller caliber. I keep buying .45 cal brushes. After a while they turn into .38 cal brushes, then .30 cal brushes, then they get trashed. I buy separate brushes for .22s.

sheepdog
05-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Hmm, cutting Popsicle sticks to size and rotating them on the inside has worked for me for year but thats a nice process there.