PDA

View Full Version : .45acp load confusion

xxclaro
05-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I have been shooting my cast 200gr round flat nose bullets in my Norinco 1911, and using 5.0 gr of Unique. This works fine,zero leading and accuracy is probably okay(I can't shoot for sh*t)! However, it is noticeably lighter than factory stuff,and in fact recoils about the same as my 9mm with 125gr cast,which I load with the same 5.0gr Unique. This is the only load my manual shows,and it lists it as both starting and max,for a pressure of 9800psi. Othere powders show loads up to 19000 psi. I'm wondering why it's kept so light with Unique? I don't really need to hotrod it, but would like to shoot something fairly close to factory ammo.
While shooting today,I recovered several .45 bullets that had hit the ground in front of the piece of wood I was shooting at, and they were just laying there at the end of the little furrow they made. Once,I hit he wood block,which was pine i believe, and the bullet actually made dent about 1/2 inch deep, and bounced off! I think maybe the flash hole had some tumbling media in it or something, as I did smash it the next time.
I've been looking for data online,and it's quite conflicting. Some guys are using over 7.0gr Unique with 200grLSWC, and onelaod was 6.3gr for a 225gr Lead round nose, and yet other list 5.0 to 5.3 as max. Anyone know whats up with this?

Dale53
05-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't know where you are getting your data.

However, the Lyman 47th is at hand and it shows 5.0 grs of Unique starting and 7.5 Maximum. From personal experience, 7.5 is pretty hot but 7.0 should not be any problem at all. If you have access to a chronograph - as long as you don't go much over 1000 fps you should be all right with Unique.

Dale53

ChuckS1
05-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I'd bump up the Unique to 6.0 - 6.5 grains with a 200 grain SWC to duplicate service loads. Check out this link for service load duplication http://www.bullseyepistol.com/reloads.htm

HeavyMetal
05-16-2009, 08:27 PM
bear in mind many reloading manuals don't see a difference between cast and swaged lead boolits. very soft lead is used in commercial swaged lead boolits and as such will lead like crazy if pushed to hard!

Since most loading companies don't care and won't take the time they print loads on the soft side and never look back!

The Lyman 47th is a good lead boolit manual and you won't go wrong using it.

xxclaro
05-16-2009, 11:06 PM
See, this is why I come here! You guys are awesome,many thanks!Oh yeah, my loads are from the Lee manual, and my bullets are water dropped WW.

geargnasher
05-16-2009, 11:57 PM
??Lee manual?? Didn't know they had one. Check out http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp for general info (sorry, they naturally don't list Alliant/Hercules powders). If you're short on good manuals you should rectify that immediately, +1 on the Lyman manuals as stated above.

I know the load data for Unique varies greatly, but if your boolits are bouncing off pine boards at 5.0 grains you should gently work your load up until you and your particular gun are happy with it.

Also +1 on Dale53's input about 1,000 fps max with Unique and using a chronograph to help work up the load.

gear

nicholst55
05-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Alliant's website starts at 4.4 grains of Unique and goes up to 5.4 grains, for 790 FPS. This is a very light load intended for 25-yard bullseye shooting, and doubtless uses a swaged bullet. I agree that you can safely bump the powder charge up. Suitable cast 200 grain SWCs can safely be launched at right around 1,000 FPS from a 1911.

fredj338
05-17-2009, 04:08 PM
See, this is why I come here! You guys are awesome,many thanks!Oh yeah, my loads are from the Lee manual, and my bullets are water dropped WW.
It's just another example of Lee getting it wrong. Their manual lists bullets by weight but not manuf or even type in some cases. IT matters. A 200grLRN does not load the same as a 200grLSWC or LTC. Your 5gr load is really, realy light, probably 650fps. I shoot 6gr under a 200grLSWC for a light target load @ 800fps from a 5". The powder will bunr better too running @ 6gr or more.

Hardcast416taylor
05-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Try going on www.aliantpowder.com to see what thry say about loads. Robert

runfiverun
05-17-2009, 07:13 PM
i just use 6 grs with 200 thru 250 gr boolits.
with a 160 they won't cycle your norinco, great for rack and tap drills though.
and are a ball in the 625 revolver.
i think i would have to go to 6.5 at least with a 160.....
but 6 is like a powder puff load still.