PDA

View Full Version : Toilet bowl gasket for lube??

steveb
03-03-2006, 07:43 PM
This has been a debate in the past, and I have several sitting around and was wondering can these be used for bullet lube. These are FluidMaster brand, and says nothing about beeswax on the box. Also it has no smell. Do any of you guys use this stuff???

montana_charlie
03-03-2006, 07:54 PM
There was a time (I think) when beeswax was the preferred material for making toilet bowl gaskets. That is (apparently) no longer the case, though some gaskets made of beeswax might still be in production...or simply still on the shelf.

Bullet lube for use in cartridges loaded with black powder is said (by many) to require that no petroleum products be used in it's makeup.
Lubes with natural substances (no petroleum) also work well with smokeless powder.

It is said, by those who claim to be knowledgeable on the subject, that petroleum-based ingredients can only be used in lubes chosen for use with smokeless.

Paraffin is a petroleum product. I think it is also the material being used today in toilet bowl gaskets...but I don't know this to be a fact.

One thing is true. Beeswax used in toilet bowl gaskets is usually so highly refined, it no longer smells like honey.
CM

steveb
03-03-2006, 08:16 PM
It would be used with smokeless powder

John Boy
03-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Steve - there is a very popular lube used by BP Cowboy Shooters called 'Dick Dastardly's Pearl Lube'

The recipe is:
1 part Soywax
1 part Toilet Ring Seal (they are petroleum based now - no more beeswax)
1 part Shortening (any kind works)

I use it for CAS and BPRC- using BP and smokeless. It works, keeps the barrel wet and leaves a nice lube star on the muzzle.

DwarvenChef
03-04-2006, 04:07 AM
they are petroleum based now
This with real BP leaves hard nasty fouling, how are you getting around that?

Springfield
03-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I have seen that recipe but I have a problem using something for lube when I don't really know what it is.

swheeler
03-06-2006, 05:56 PM
SteveB; I tried a homemade lube about a year ago in the muzzleloaders, 50/50 toilet ring / crisco. After the second shot I could nolonger load the rifle, this was with goex 2F black and it made a ROCK hard fouling in the barrel that took a little effort to remove. I came home and threw it all in the garbage- just my personal experience.
Scooter

Old Jim
03-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Don't use it. I tried and had as nasty a mess as you can imagine. Fortunately was stopped by someone smarter and more experienced than I before I actually used it as a lube. Still took a while to get rid of it in my equipment.

Maven
03-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Look up "Emmert's Lube" (Google, this forum, etc.) and follow the recipe (there are several) that is most convenient for you. I use the resulting lube on .459" CB's in my Marlin #336 with BP (FFFg) or Pyro. P and have no problems with fouling attributable to a petroleum based wax. However, I don't use it as a patch lube in my muzzle loaders as I'm quite pleased with "moose milk" (home brewed or proprietary).

steveb
03-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas! ;-)

yodar
03-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Indeed, a member of another cast bullet list has been a chemical engineer at aplant where the material for toilet bowl rings is made.

Indeed it is mere petroleum jelly. Not too distant from soupy paraffin chemically. He doesnt recommend it, nor would I.

I make my own lubes from various raw materials including paraffin, beeswax, STP and lithium auto grease.

Yodar