PDA

View Full Version : Lee Dippers...

jdgabbard
05-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Alright. I'm in the process of putting together a Portable Outdoors/Survival Reloading Kit. Because of the ease of use, the obvious solution for powder measuring is going to have to be Dippers. Now I have an old (circa 1966) set of Lee Dippers. But would rather not bust up my set. I do have a .7cc Lee Dipper that came with my .357 Dies that I bought some time back.

My question is, what is the equivalent of the .7cc dipper on the old numbers? It seems to be pretty close to a #052. But is the data interchangable??? And if not, someone that has a chart for the .7cc could you by chance post a list of charges for that dipper with the following powders:

Bullseye, Unique, H110, IMR4227, and 2400.

I know. I should just buy a newer set of dippers. But I got these for a $1 some years back, and there isn't any other need to upgrade. Thanks again in advance for the help.

jdgabbard
05-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Ok...nevermind. I found LEE's downloadable instructions for their measures. Link to it is posted below.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Dippers.pdf

fallout4x4
05-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Jd,

I took a case that i decided was not reloadable and soldered some coat hanger around it for a handle. then I filed it down until it poured the correct weight of powder. Sometimes the lee dippers just arent the right size. Make sure you only use it for that one powder tho.

mooman76
05-15-2009, 08:33 PM
The old lee dippers are a different measure type. They didn't use CCs. So they do not come out to the same unless one or two happen to even out like Metric vs sae tools. It's good to have an old and new set so you have more different sizes even though they aren't much difference. I even took some extra dippers I had and put cardboard in them to give me more sizes. I like fallouts idea but haven't done it yet. If you heven't used Lee dippers much the key like most other reloading is consistancy. Always dip the same way. I have also used heaping scoops to get closer to what I wanted.

snaggdit
05-15-2009, 10:37 PM
I have done the used casing thing. The Lee dippers weren't right where I wanted them, so a few old 45 cases and a small sidegrinder did the trick. Never thought about the coat hanger handle idea. Good one. I went all out. Drilled out the primer and tapped in threads and put a short bolt and adjustment nut in through a shaped piece of stainless sheet stock. Then I attached this to a small wood handle with little wood screws. The plus to this is I can adjust the volume by turning the bolt in or out a little. Then I got the auto powder measure and haven't used it since...

SciFiJim
05-15-2009, 10:57 PM
jdgabbard, I like the idea of a
Portable Outdoors/Survival Reloading Kit. Share with us what you will include in to to give the rest of us a clue and starting place. I'm thinking a Lee Hand press, dies, maybe a powder that is usable across several calibers.

An idea I just had - make a dipper for each caliber that you will be reloading from a spent casing for that caliber. Cut it down until it dips the right amount and solder a wire handle to it.

jdgabbard
05-16-2009, 03:45 PM
jdgabbard, I like the idea of a . Share with us what you will include in to to give the rest of us a clue and starting place. I'm thinking a Lee Hand press, dies, maybe a powder that is usable across several calibers.

An idea I just had - make a dipper for each caliber that you will be reloading from a spent casing for that caliber. Cut it down until it dips the right amount and solder a wire handle to it.

Would be easier to put the handle on before hand, then grind it down to the right charge volume.

As for the rest of the question, I posted in your spin off of this thread - Portable Outdoors/Survival Reloading Kit (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=53842)

Echo
05-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Or dribble a little candle wax into the case (rather than grinding down the rim). That's what I have done. Easily adjusted...

fallout4x4
05-16-2009, 07:05 PM
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss134/fallout4x4/1242514781.jpg

before and after trimming. sorry about pic quality, taken with phone.

jdgabbard
05-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Cool. I'll have to try it that way, cause its not working my way.