PDA

View Full Version : New Guy in Bossier City, LA

JIsabelle218
05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Hello all,
I'm located in lovely Bossier City, LA. (Military life)
I'm a pretty experienced shooter and love to shot often. Just getting into casting. Been doing a lot of research and surfing on the topic. Got a Dutch oven and outdoor, propane powered stove; looking for a good ladle and trying to find lead/wheel weights with no luck :-(. checked out a bunch of tire shops yesturday and no joy. . .not even a trade for beer :-( they all turned me away, I'm afraid I might have to buy for the scrap yard. Looking to see if anyone has any experience locally a can ping ideas off of.

But never-the-less; looking forward to the contributions and experience of the site!:drinks:

dubber123
05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Welcome aboard, and good luck on the WW hunt.

runfiverun
05-15-2009, 02:41 PM
good luck with the ww's

Down South
05-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Welcome aboard. WW are getting harder to find but keep looking.

Echo
05-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Welcome to the forum, or should I say addiction? I was stationed @ Barksdale 63-66 in 46th CS, and was a communicator on Achieve. Second son was born there while I was on alert. Great place - I lived in Shady Grove, just south of the base. Is the Double R BBQ place still there?

Slow Elk 45/70
05-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Hullo , and welcome, WW are getting scarce, lots of people out ahead of you making deals , you may need to start looking for some lead and maybe some solder,, printers type or Linotype or Babbitt from the scrap yards for alloy to mix with the lead to make your own alloy , depending on what you shoot.

Good luck and good casting.

sundog
05-16-2009, 01:21 AM
JI, my friend, check out redistribution and marketing, or whatever that department is called there at Barksdale, that sells surplus out to the public. Think weight and balance for aircraft. Counter weights, man! And check to see if you can scavange the ranges, indoor or out. When I was stationed at the Air Force Academy in early 70s me and a bud cleaned out the sand box several times at the indoor range. We didn't know much then, but we made boolits! And they worked! We had lead. Check out the base hospital and find out where the isotope containers go or if the are referbing an xray room. Don't forget the motor pools. Get in tight with some folks....

I was stationed at England AFB before that, and another bud was at Barksdale. We fished Toledo Bend together a few times. Life was good.