PDA

View Full Version : I think it may be starting here!!!!!!

dakotashooter2
05-15-2009, 09:25 AM
The profiteering I mean. Stopped by the local Cabela's last night and just glanced at the primer shelves. Now these shelves have been virtually empty for the last 6 months with one exception. Last fall they must have had a dozen cartons of Federal magnum small pistol primers. (Most of the area stores all have a good supply of these.) I stopped in a few days ago and picked up 1000 to develop some loads for my 38 and 357. There were six cartons on the shelf when I left. Yesterday there were none. Now these sat for at least 6 months with little or no movement because there really isn't a huge demand for them. Loads that utilize MSP are hard to find. Now flash...they are gone. It's no skin off my nose but it smells like somebody is gonna try make a profit.

Tom Herman
05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
I hope the idiot winds up having to eat them...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

atr
05-15-2009, 10:24 AM
yes,,,,it is profiteering....
I think what is happening is that people are buying off the shelf from Cabela's etc. and then turning around and re-selling them at gun shows for a much higher price

I was at a gun show a couple weeks ago,,,,guys were rushing to buy primers etc.....and they were paying up to $50/1000 when the self price at Cabela's was more like $30/1000

handyrandyrc
05-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Get your Varget here.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128745098

Great deal, don't pass this one up. ;)

fatnhappy
05-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Who's to say Cabelas isn't the profiteer? They may have sent them to other stores where they would sell.
You're probably right though.

captaint
05-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty OK for primers for at least a year and I can assure you I'm going to do my best to make sure these folks lose their butts when "profitmaking time" comes.

montana_charlie
05-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Had a gunshow here in Great Falls late last month. I didn't go, but a friend made all three days. On day one, the primers you could find (at the show) were selling for $35 per brick. They weren't selling fast, because the local Big Bear had a new supply of primers on the shelf for $30, and the word went around at the show.

On day two, my friend decided to stop in at Big Bear to pick up a couple of bricks. He was only allowed to buy one, and he asked why. The manager said he had a guy come in and buy a case (or two?), and he later saw him at the show peddling them for 50% more. So, he initiated the one-brick limit until the show was over...or they were gone.

On day three, Big Bear was empty, and the (original) guy at the show with primers had bumped his price from $35 up to $45...and sold out.

I kinda wish 'we' knew who the local low-life was. This is a fairly small community (still) where everybody (sorta) knows everybody.
It would be real satisfying to cause him some heartburn in his business dealings around town...the business that buys his groceries.

CM

txpete
05-15-2009, 12:06 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357689

montana_charlie
05-15-2009, 01:55 PM
I hate forums that you can't even read unless you are a registered member.

cmkiefer
05-15-2009, 02:57 PM

Nice to have forum members helping out while making a "small" profit

dakotashooter2
05-15-2009, 06:01 PM
I can't wait till supplies return to normal and guys start crying about how they "overspent". I'm just gonna laugh.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-15-2009, 06:36 PM
What if things don't return to normal. What when new legislation(which really has just passed the senate) allows illegals to get credit cards, what if the credit cards helps them get a mortgage, what of the mortgage enables seven more anchor babies (you pay for in taxes), what if the congress legalizes 20 millions of illegals to start citizenship, and that brings in 20 millions more of kin, and then the welfare and immigrant classes vote for dems next time, and your taxes go up even more, guns are outlawed( now a liberal majority in the Supreme Court), free speech is curtailed,...................... There is more to our sport than reloading manuals. BvT

cmkiefer
05-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Get your Varget here.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128745098

Great deal, don't pass this one up. ;)

Holy cr*p! I just looked at this auction. What a joke. $85 per pound!

Slow Elk 45/70
05-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Primers are non-existent in Anchorage, in most shops. Found a few thousand 209 shotgun primers at $63 per thousand .... wow. It may be bad in the lower 48, but it is really bad up here due in part to the shipping restrictions [ shippers will only take a certain amount of powder/primers on each shipment ] to go along with the poor availability of components.[smilie=1:

Gun Broker has most kinds starting at $50-75 for bids, but most of these people do not ship to Alaska, we are still not considered part of the USA[smilie=1:

The Double D
05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
But the other side of the coin is the only way these guys make a big profit is some idiot buys them...

Heavy lead
05-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Has anyone else but me thought maybe the government is using some stimulus money buying this stuff up? Maybe it's just me, but I cannot see any normal person spending that kind of jack for 8 pounds of Varget. That's nuts. I'll shoot a flinter and make black before that happens.

Now part of me doesn't want to believe this would happen, even under the Obama plan, but I just cannot believe someone would pay that, hell I've got 8 pounds of 4064 I'll trade for a new rifle any day of the week and that is about what it adds up to.

Any takers?

txpete
05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
flint shortage is coming soon :mrgreen:.

pete

c3d4b2
05-15-2009, 09:30 PM

This is the post from the firing line

I have the following primers and powder in the associated quantities for sale in Kansas:

CCI 35 (50BMG) - 500 Make Offer
Hodgdon H50BMG Powder 2-8lbs Make Offer
CCI Large Rifle 10000 (Two Cases) $350/5000
Winchester Small Rifle 2000 $180

I will be driving to Nashville in a few weeks, so arrangements can be made to meet during this trip. I do not have the ability to ship hazmat due to the licensing requirements from UPS.

Buckshot
05-16-2009, 01:48 AM

I have the following primers and powder in the associated quantities for sale in Kansas:

I will be driving to Nashville in a few weeks, so arrangements can be made to meet during this trip. I do not have the ability to ship hazmat due to the licensing requirements from UPS.

..............That guy is a real asset! Seven hundred scooties for 10K CCI primers. I guess that's a real deal compared to the price for the Winchester SRP's though.

..............Buckshot

Recluse
05-16-2009, 02:10 AM

Ditto--and I refuse to register just to read something on a place I otherwise have zero interest in.

This is the kind of guy I'd like to meet in Nashville (or wherever) and in the middle of the night, slash his tires, punch holes in his radiator. . . . then show up in the morning in a tow truck and offer him a tow in exchange for those primers.

Or maybe a tow for several hundred dollars PLUS the primers.

Sure hope "what goes around comes around" in regards to these kinds of folks.

:coffee:

grumman581
05-16-2009, 02:24 AM
[QUOTE=Recluse;570066]Ditto--and I refuse to register just to read something on a place I otherwise have zero interest in./QUOTE]

I have a couple of my own domains, so I just create a throw away email address on one of them and use it for the registration... That way, if I start getting a bunch of spam on that email address, I know which site sold me to the spammers... Still, it's a pain in the butt to have to register just to read what is on the site from something that came up in a web search...

Hunter 24095
05-17-2009, 02:20 AM
Guys hit your local bass pro shops up I found some today when I went to the all star race in Cocord N.C. They had win LRP's remington sp mag'sand rem lrp mag's I bought 3000 assorted and they still had some on the shelf and said more was on the way.

bigdog454
05-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Gun Show today, the only primers were LP. Guy was asking $100 / M (old school M=1000), or $12.00 /C. No buyers!