PDA

View Full Version : my 2660299 is in the mail !

superior
05-15-2009, 12:43 AM
I called Lyman today and the customer service lady said my mould was sent out yesterday priority mail. She said the technician's note reads: "I made the nose section as large as it could be made". She didn't know exactly what that meant but does anyone here know? Could they mean " as large as their current specs allow?" or "as large as possible, period?" hmmmmm. I merely requested they enlarge the nose because it could be pushed into the muzzle (very snugly) all the way to the first driving band and when I pulled it out, I didn't see any engraving marks from the rifling. That, and the fact that it wouldn't group as tightly as my lee moulds made me decide to ship it back for alterations. I do want the nose as large as possible but I wonder what the tech meant. :-? Also does anyone know how long it will take to get to Oregon from Connecticut? I can't wait to get my "custom" mould back.:Fire:

Buckshot
05-15-2009, 01:20 AM
I called Lyman today and the customer service lady said my mould was sent out yesterday priority mail. She said the technician's note reads: "I made the nose section as large as it could be made". She didn't know exactly what that meant but does anyone here know? Could they mean " as large as their current specs allow?" or "as large as possible, period?" hmmmmm. I merely requested they enlarge the nose because it could be pushed into the muzzle (very snugly) all the way to the first driving band and when I pulled it out, I didn't see any engraving marks from the rifling. That, and the fact that it wouldn't group as tightly as my lee moulds made me decide to ship it back for alterations. I do want the nose as large as possible but I wonder what the tech meant. :-? Also does anyone know how long it will take to get to Oregon from Connecticut? I can't wait to get my "custom" mould back.:Fire:

" I do want the nose as large as possible but I wonder what the tech meant. :-?"

.............Well, what did YOU mean? :-) WHat did you write in the instructions? I didn't know Lyman HAD and 'Technitions':veryconfu. If it went priority on Wednesday and you get Saturday delivery, I'd suspect you'd see it then.

..............Buckshot

mrbill2
05-15-2009, 07:54 AM
"I made the nose section as large as it could be made". In other words, if it isn't big enough now, don't send it back.

Calamity Jake
05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
"because it could be pushed into the muzzle (very snugly) all the way to the first driving band and when I pulled it out, I didn't see any engraving marks from the rifling. "

I thought that was the way it is designed? to ride the lands?

superior
05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I was under the impression that the boolit nose should be engraved by the rifling. (Ed Harris's article on cast boolits for military rifles) Again, I merely requested they make the nose larger, thinking that it would then be engraved by the rifling. I have friends who have the same mould and their noses are ALOT larger than mine. Their boolit noses are engraved by the rifling---mine are not.

runfiverun
05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
i sincerely hope you tried it before sending it back. [in the rifle]
some rifles shoot really well with minimal contact.

largom
05-15-2009, 10:12 PM
SUPERIOR, Don't know what "made it as big as possible" means but hope it works out for you. If you do not own a good set of verniers and a good micrometer you should invest in them. You should slug your barrel and match your boolit to that. Also different alloys, casting temp., mold temp., and your casting speed can all effect boolit dia. Good luck.
Larry

superior
05-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I own both, largom...and Yes, runfiverun, I have tried it in the rifle..(that's how I know it doesn't group as well as my Lee molds)..and no, my Lee boolits don't fit into the muzzle..( they shoot great) The Lyman boolits didn't group nearly as well. And Buckshot, the lady called the guy who openned up the mould a technician..his name is Dan. Maybe they've changed the way they do business as well as their specifications for the mould. They said the upper end of the spec for the nose size is .303 but I know others who have the same mould and their's drop bollits with larger noses than that. I'm sure people on this forum have molds that drop larger noses than .303. So I suspect that Dan cut the nose as large as the current specs allow, which would be .303. Before I sent the mould back, it was dropping noses at .3022.
I'll bet the nose will be engraved by the rifling now! I'll call them Monday and talk to the tech for clarification. Before he began the job, he said he would open the nose up to .303. I'm almost certain it could be openned up more than that but I dont think it will be necessary.

Buckshot
05-16-2009, 02:05 AM
............superior, just joshin', no harm no foul. Re: Lyman and technitions was merely a dig on the fact that that portion of the Lyman company dealing with moulds is only a faint shadow of what it once was, both in customer support and customer satisfaction. The fact that you actually were able to get Lyman to agree to open up the nose of your mould gave me a moments pause in shear amazement :-)

When I got my 40-65 one of the moulds I bought was a 40 cal Snover. It's nose dropped at .396" in my first session, and the drive bands were fine at .410". Best I could get running it hot and adding some lino would barely shade .398". Drive bands grew to a bit over .411" which was still fine. However with a .400" bore, the boolit just flat would NOT shoot. Lyman said it was within spec.

........... Buckshot