PDA

View Full Version : stick on - clip on ww ratio

TREERAT
05-14-2009, 11:36 PM
want to make some good hunting boolits.

how much soft stick on ww aloy would be a good mix with the harder clip on ww aloy with 2% tin added to make a good hunting boolit? or should I just use the clip on ww + tin, and save the soft for a muzzle loader purchase later? will the stickons work for minie's, are the stick on soft enough to engrave in a front loader?

SciFiJim
05-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Stick on WWs have .5% tin and .5% antimony. The bhn is 5.5 Pure lead has a bhn of 5.0, so stick ons would work great for a muzzle loader. I have more stick on than clip on so I mix my alloy 50/50 and use it for everything. I air cool for pistol and water drop for rifle. It you want a soft nose boolit for hunting check out the thread here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=53234).

Slow Elk 45/70
05-15-2009, 05:43 AM
You might like to use the stick on's and clip on's in a 50/50 mix, the stick on are almost pure lead, close enough for boolit making. This saves some of your clip on WW
and makes a good hunting boolit, if you want a harder boolit, water drop these, they will still expand. Make sure you check the stick on for zinc, some are marked ZN as are some of the new clip on. Watch your melt and when it becomes molten, skim off anything that is still solid.
WW melts at about 650*, Zinc melts at +-770*

Have some fun

Humbo
05-15-2009, 07:46 AM
The last batch I melted with stick on weights was almost identical to the clip on's, hardness was pretty much the same. They will water drop to BHN in the 20's. Strange thing.

timkelley
05-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't have a hardness tester so I can't be sure but the scratch test seems to be much the same for 50/50 stickon/clipon and straight clipon. The batch I am casting from now I brought from the Palm Springs, PRC when I escaped.
I wonder if the newer stickon weights are made of a harder alloy like clipon?