PDA

View Full Version : Kind of disappointed

Sprue
05-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Had to make an overnight trip to Pittsburgh for a days worth of training. Its about a five hour drive from here. Anyway, since Tuesday was desinated travel day, I decided to swing by cabellas before going to a motel for the evening. I have always wanted to go there since they opened.

I thought that they would have slightly less pricing on merchandising but my thinking was wrong. I'll admit that they had a few things that I don't normally see around my home town area ( i.e Molds, thermometers, trimmer replacement heads etc.. but the prices were no different, perhaps more than the locals at home.

They do have a nicely outfitted White Tail, live fish exhibit along with most anything material that can be associated with the outdoors. But, all in all I was somewhat disappointed. Just as the rest of the retailers (everywhere) their bullet, primer and powder shelves were bare pretty much like all stores this day and time.

Glad I had the opportunity to go visit them but they are no different than a Gander Mtn gouging.

I left empty handed to my dismay. This reaffirms my decision to support the little - local guy.

HeavyMetal
05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Got a Bass Pro here in the LA area and I haven't been impressed with it!

At least you saw some molds this outfit doesn't know what casting is!

Bent Ramrod
05-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Check out Cabela's Bargain Cave next time. Some of the repackaged stuff is a real bargain. Of course, it's a matter of luck whether they have something you "need," but still...

dakotashooter2
05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
I found the same thing when Cabela's came into our area. Seems you pay for the name. The worst part was that the main competitor in this area, who was considerably cheaper to start with, RAISED their prices to match Cabela's. So now they are both high.:groner:[smilie=b:

Sprue
05-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Check out Cabela's Bargain Cave next time. Some of the repackaged stuff is a real bargain. Of course, it's a matter of luck whether they have something you "need," but still...

Yep... did that too. My impression was: Thumbs down. The one here was nearly trashed out in appearance. I think that "Big Lots" trumps the Bargin Cave hands down. OUCH ! An no, there won't be a next time

Dennis Eugene
05-13-2009, 11:03 PM
i very rearly get off the Island usully only every other year. Went down south to my mothers last Nov. for Thanksgiving and visted the cabellas over by Lacey Wash. never bought anything but lunch did enjoy a fine day with an old friend but probley won't ever go there again unless I'm in the neighbor hood and have some time to kill. I was more than a lil dissapointed also even the wild life mounts wern't that great as I have taken several bucks bigger than the biggest Sitka blacktail mount they had in the place. Dennis

Gerry N.
05-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Yup, been there done that. Ive been to the new Cabela's in Lacey, WA about 70 mile So. of me. Spent my gift certificate and wandered around. Their guns were grossly overpriced, countermen were ignorant about their stock.

I won't be going back unless I happen to be driving by.

Gerry N.

Uncle R.
05-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Sounds like my impressions of Cabela's too. High prices, inventory only fair - and at least some of the salespeople fools. Gander Mountain is no better - it was there that I heard a clerk explaining to a customer that if he got into reloading he could safely make ammo for his Marlin .30-30 that was cosiderably more powerful than factory stuff. :holysheep (In fairness I have to admit that at least some of the counter people are pretty good.) I like Cabela's better than Gander Mountain but only a little better. Overall I'm not impressed with either. They're both clothing stores more than anything else. There is simply no place I know of in my area - large or small - that has a decent inventory of reloading tools and supplies. My favorite mom 'n' pop gun shop has been gone for several years now. The big chains drove most of the little guys out and then started eating each other. Sportsman's Warehouse was by far my preference and they were the loser in the turf wars. Go figure... You'd think the competition between the remaining "Big Two"would drive prices down but it ain't happening. I suppose that "Joe Average" likes Cabela's because it's such a wonderful shopping experience to go there. Me - I just want my stuff, in stock and at a good price. Lookin' at a fish tank is way down on my list of priorities. I find myself ordering from the web suppliers more and more often as time goes on.

SciFiJim
05-14-2009, 12:15 AM
In defense of Cabela's (at least the web shopping experience). There is no brick and mortar Cabela's in California, so what you order online is not taxed. I got a $15 discount for applying for their version of a Visa card (so what if I never use it again unless I can get a similar discount). I used it to purchase a $45 tumbler. After adding shipping back in the total was $39. The tumbler is made by Berrys. Not bad for a tumbler that is $60 at Berrys.

watkibe
05-14-2009, 01:01 AM
I have often been happy with Cabelas.com, but when I went to the store in Lacey, WA, I was disappointed myself. I'll tell ya why: it was probably the biggest building I have ever been inside of in my life, like the drill hall where they have boot camp graduations at the US Navy Great Lakes Training Center. I hate shopping, I hate crowds, and I hate big stores. Sorry, but I hated going to Cabela's in real life. Online is more my speed !

Firebricker
05-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Your paying for a ton of overhead costs at the huge stores. I still like to go look around at Cabelas,Bass Pro,Gander, etc whenever I'm working near one. They all have a decent gun selection just no real bargains. I really like Cabelas gun library with all the classics and antique guns cant afford em just like looking. FB

Larry Gibson
05-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Where in the name "Cabela's" or "Gander Mountain" do we find the words "bargain", "cheap prices" or anything like that? They are retail stores which means they're in business to make a profit not suppprt our hobby/sport for free. If you've any experience in guns/ammo/componant sales you'll know there is not near the mark up as in other businness like electronics, appliences and even ski equipment. I don't know about back there but out here Cabela's have the bargain cave and they run sales on guns and ammo on a regualr basis. I wouldn't expect them to be any less affected by the current shortage of componants than anyone else. When they do get componants they sell them at their regualr list price not the current gouged price that most of the garage dealers are selling them for. It is a sellers market right now and will be for quite a while. Most small gunshops have closed (there have been numerous discussions of that on this forum) because of the "I can get it cheaper at WallyWorld" attitude. If those small businesses could have stayed in business making a proffit they would have. Lack of profit closed many of them because of the larger chain stores and attitudes like I'm again reading here. Most of the larger retail discount chain stores have gone out of the gun business for political reasons. If we do the same thing to the big sporting goods stores Like Cabela's do you really think WallyWorld is going to cater to your shooting needs?

Heck, the wife and I like to go to Cabela's, enjoy the dispaly, look at products, have lunch (I like the chicken chili and bison sandwich) and buy a few things. It sure beats the heck out of $40 bucks to go to a movie (matenee plus soda and popcorn for both of us...have you considered what it cost to pop that popcorn?). Or how about golf fees (no I don't golf)? Or what does it cost for most anything we do for entertainment! Personally I think with guns/ammo/componants we are seeing the beginnings of rampant inflation. So quit complaining and get out there ans spread the wealth, that's what the country voted for, that's what we got.

Larry Gibson

Ole
05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Cabelas is a good place to shop for door buster sales on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving).

I got a pretty dang nice meat grinder for $59 that normally runs $120.

Uncle R.
05-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Stopped in one of the few remaining local gun shops around here this afternoon. I suspect he only manages to stay in business because he has an indoor range. I've been trying to lay my hands on some 4064 for several weeks - checked at Gander a couple of weeks ago and the price sheet said $30.00 / lb. IF they had any - which they didn't. Local guy had two lbs on the shelf today - just got a small shipment of stuff in - sold it for 24.00/lb which these days is pretty fair for a retail store. If Gander doesn't gouge then their list price went up a heckuva lot in the last year.
I still don't like Gander for guns or reloading tools and supplies but they have an impressive display of clothing. If I ever need to get a sweat shirt with a Gander Mtn. logo I know just where to go...

largom
05-14-2009, 10:16 PM
I shop at Cabela's for one reason only, To cash in my Cabela's Visa points. I have had a Cabela's Visa card for over 15 yrs. At one time I had over $1000.00 in points. Sure was great to go shopping, get $1000.00 worth of goods and not spend a dime. For the past couple of years I have used my points to get power and primers [not this year], their price is usually high but when you can get them for free, who cares.
Larry

Tom Herman
05-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Yup, been there done that. Ive been to the new Cabela's in Lacey, WA about 70 mile So. of me. Spent my gift certificate and wandered around. Their guns were grossly overpriced, countermen were ignorant about their stock.

I won't be going back unless I happen to be driving by.

Gerry N.

Hi Gerry!

The guns were OUTRAGEOUS! Very seldom do I bring anything home from there other than a bag of brass. No powder, no primers, don't know when they will come in. And they usually are out of the buffalo jerky I like... Grrrr....
I'm finding I get much better service from the smaller shops...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

AZ-Stew
05-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Around the Phoenix area, Cabela's is the only place that has been getting any components in quantity lately. Not that they've had that much, but they've had some. The biggest problem with them for me is that they're 40+ miles on the other side of town. They built the Bass Pro Shops store on this side of town, but what little they ever had in components was grossly overpriced.

My son in law picked up some Remington SR bench rest primers a couple of weeks ago. I traded him for some CCI SR primers and some .22s. I picked up some IMR 4007SSC and some Remington LP primers, both of which I traded to people on this board, one for some 4064 and one for some H380, which was also bought at Cabela's. While they're not perfect, at least Cabela's is getting some components.

Sportsman's Warehouse is starting to get some components, but you have to go on Wednesday afternoon to get anything. I picked up some Sierra 69 gr .224 match bullets yesterday, along with some Ramshot TAC and Accurate 1680 powder. I think they'll get better as time goes on.

Personally, I'm glad both of them are around.

Regards,

Stew

Bret4207
05-15-2009, 07:09 AM
I think Larry has a point. If I'm dragged to the mall where can I go? Sears to look at whats left of their pitiful tool display, Gander Mountain to look at the high priced toys or Borders to sit in a comfy chair and read magazines I'd never pony up the cash for. At least I have a choice. I suppose I could go sit in front of Victorias Secret and watch the fat chicks waddle in while trying NOT to imagine what they might be buying.......

1Shirt
05-15-2009, 08:40 AM
I buy all my gas on a Cabella's credit card, accumulate points and use them to buy powder. Makes it a little easier on the wallet. Agree with some of the others, that in most cases the counter folks don't know thier products, that is in particular when it comes to reloading and the actual firearms (which tend to be overpriced).
The specials and promotions are well worth the time to check out. A lot depends on the store. The original in Sidney hasn't been real good for the past two or three years. The One in Kearney is ok. The one in K.C. is excellent, and the one in Omaha, has a big problem in my opinion in knowledgable sales persons. However my bottom line is that nobody forces me to go to Cabellas.
1Shirt~:coffee:

wills
05-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Agree with some of the others, that in most cases the counter folks don't know thier products
1Shirt~:coffee:

I think that tends to be true for everything. Most of them are there to dust the shelves and ring up the purchases.