PDA

View Full Version : Would you like RCBS to make 4 cavity molds?

theperfessor
05-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I really like RCBS molds - I have four of them and they are all winners. And they have some really outstanding designs and great product support. But compared to the number of Lyman, Lee, and SAECO molds that I own this is a relatively small number. Why? Because they only come in two-cavity versions, and I hate to use anything less than a four-cavity mold for casting handgun caliber boolits.

I can live with two-holers for rifles, since I shoot a lot less of them at a time, but pistol boolits are another matter.

Just to get a sense of what you guys think, would you buy an RCBS four cavity mold if it was available, say at a price competitive with Lyman's?

Irascible
05-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Probably in Pistol moulds, but even a 2 cavity often has has too much difference between cavities which require sorting. I would not like it if they copied the Lyman handles. I currently own 2 - 4 cavity moulds in 44 Cal. 1 Saeco and 1 H&G. I borrowed a Lyman 4 cavity and did not like using it at all.

Dennis Eugene
05-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Yes I would STILL buy RCBS even if they came in an overly heavy 4 cav. ;>) Dennis

94Doug
05-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Maybe a 3 cav., split the difference.

Doug

Pepe Ray
05-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Since you asked;
No
Why not? you ask.
Publicly owned companies must respond to the desires of the stock holders.
Therefore profits must be larger than would be necessary to a smaller privately owned manufacturer.
If I must blow a chunk of my savings let it go to a grassroots company, at a level
that may help our growth.
There are plenty of hard working Americans to choose from.
Pepe Ray

jdgabbard
05-13-2009, 01:25 PM
I'd buy a 4-cav. But, I'm partial to Lyman I must say. But I hear RCBS is top notch, and if they offered a reasonably priced 4-cav you could bet your last dollar I'd give 'em a try.

Huntducks
05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
+1 on the 3 cav. NO 4 cav.

madcaster
05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I would buy them too,but they would probably wait until primers are more avalible before they do something like this...

fredj338
05-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Maybe a 3 cav., split the difference.

Doug
I agree. I have also tried to get Lee to make a 4cav w/ their 6cav design sprue plate.

leadeye
05-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I would buy them as well they are good molds.

runfiverun
05-13-2009, 08:18 PM
if they trimmed down the size of their molds a 4 cavity would be a winner.
if they could keep their handle design similar to what they have now or what red river rick does for the lyman they would definately sell.
i would like some decent 4 cav steel rifle molds.

Firebricker
05-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I'd like to RCBS in 4 cav I only have one RCBS mould right now and its a great mold but wish it was a 4 cav. FB

HeavyMetal
05-13-2009, 09:35 PM
I've had RCBS molds and they perform flawlessly.

As to weight of a 4 banger steel mold? The lymans are just right! They need to be able to store some heat to cast correctly and the three Lyman 4 bangers I own so that just right.

I don't kow if you have an in with someone at RCBS, if so then please ask them to go ahead on IF they can be competatively priced! Current Lyman list price is $103 plus handles and I think that's a bit on the high side for a mass produced product.

If they can't do it for less they shouldn't do it and I'm real sure that's why they haven't.

Heavy lead
05-13-2009, 09:39 PM
absolutely, and I do not care about the price if it is a good mould, unlike most new Lymans which are junk

RayinNH
05-13-2009, 09:46 PM
It would be nice if they would add a couple thousanths to the size of the cavities though...Ray

crowbeaner
05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
ABSOEFFINGLUTELY! I don't care what they cost or weigh; any RCBS mould I have is an absolute joy to use and makes perfect boolits! Saeco makes 4 bangers, so why not Big Green?

happy7
05-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Absolutely. I like the quality of RCBS molds, but rarely buy them because they are just too slow. I shoot mostly pistols and need production.