PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Service

softpoint
05-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I just got off the phone with Dillon. I have a shellplate that has chipped. Almost before I got through telling the fellow what had happened to it,he said "That 'll be shipped out today", They already had my customer # and address on file. This mirrors other times I have had to call them for service. I have two of the 550B machines that have untold #'s of rounds loaded through them. I've nitpicked the 550's, and stated things I wish were different, wish they were 5 station, etc. But thier service is second to none, in my experience. :D

mpmarty
05-13-2009, 12:46 PM
+1 on Uncle Mike's service. I've been a Dillon user for over twenty years and every time I call them they are absolutely great. I'm thinking of moving up to a 650 but really can't justify the move from my 550s. Best customer service in this or any other industry. If only all US Corporations had this attitude we would still be a manufacturing giant with our jobs here instead of overseas.

mongo404
05-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I will agree with that statement 100%. Everytime time I call them I get the same treatment when something is wrong or broke with my dillon excellent service!!!!!!

Trey45
05-13-2009, 07:25 PM
I bought a used Dillon 550B, had some missing parts, called Dillon, established an account with them, and described what I had and what was missing. The guy took all my info, got part numbers for everything, and shipped it all out the next day free of charge! This is a used machine missing some small parts, through no fault of Dillon, yet they refused payment and sent them free. I had a part break early this year, the powder through die yoke collar, I found the part in the Dillon book that came with the machine and read it off to him, it was then he told me I had an outdated manual, and he would send a new manual along with the replacement collar, free once again. Big blue will continue to get my business.

rebliss
05-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I agree 100%; Dillon's service also earns my business when I need other shooting supplies. Just bought some D-Lead hand soap; makes me feel better after my casting sessions, although I'm sure the multiple times I washed with regular soap worked just as well.

I'd like to add that I just bought a Weber gas grill, and needed to call them for a little help with operation. It's a quality American-made product, and the customer service rep (an American) was very friendly and helpful. My grill beats the snot out of any of the Chinese-made, fancy grills I've seen at Lowe's.

Tom Herman
05-14-2009, 11:02 PM
I've put over 100,000 through my RL-550 over better than 20 years. It's needed some service parts, which is to be expected.
They have done pretty good... Once they sent me the wrong part, and I sent it back and got the right one (it can happen to anyone!).
They dropped the ball on my last order, but the fellow popped in here and made it right.
You simply can't beat that! Dillon is tops for service. I love their products and will continue to buy them.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Cadillo
05-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Back in '87 the job sent me from Texas to California. Somehow in the move I lost a box containing quite a few of the small parts for my 550. I put together a list of the needed part numbers and called Dillon. I tried to give them my credit card data and they refused. I told the guy that I had lost the parts and that it was MY FAULT. He said "Our products are guaranteed to work, and they won't work without all their parts. No charge. It will go out tomorrow."

I now have two 550-B's and am a customer and advocate for life. :D

Fugowii
05-14-2009, 11:45 PM
They are very good with customer service. Technical service not so. I find the
550 marginally reliable. The powder system is flawed, the primer system is
flawed terribly, and the primer catcher, well, is just about useless. If it wasn't
for the great customer service I suspect a lot of people wouldn't tolerate the
operation of the 550 for very long. The 550 is long in tooth and nothing has
been done to correct it's glaring flaws. I suspect it is due to some marketing
reason more than anything else in order to get you to move up the food chain
for a pricier press.

I've been loading on a 550 for a long time and recently had the good fortune
to visit a friend using a Hornady LnL and that my friends is a press. My complaints
about the 550, and Dillon's technical service, are well justified but I will spare you
my less than satisfactory experiences. The design is far from flawless and no
attempt has been made to correct those shortcomings by the manufacturer.

Superfly
05-14-2009, 11:55 PM
How is the primer catchter flawed Mine works Just fine ??????

Fugowii
05-15-2009, 12:07 AM
How is the primer catchter flawed Mine works Just fine ??????

Probably 10 percent of my removed primers wind up on the floor. This is a common
problem with the Dillon 550 and there are any number of 'home brew' remedies but
nothing concrete solves the problem. If yours is working fine, enjoy it. I've tried
most all of the well documented attempts to get it working 100% of the time and
nothing I have tried to date solves the problem.

Superfly
05-15-2009, 12:18 AM
i bet i have maybe 10 primers hit the floor on 5 k worth of reloading with it.
Jaime

JIMinPHX
05-15-2009, 12:46 AM
That's good to hear. I'm glad that their remote customer service is better than their walk-in customer service. Maybe the next time I want something from them I should mail order it instead of driving over there. Shipping can't cost that much more than gas.

Rodfac
05-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Me too. Great service. When I bought my first 550 I called them with questions on the set-up. I'd read the manual a cpl of times but couldn't make sense of one part (no history with turret presses). Their guy on the other end of the phone line lead me through the process step by step as I performed the process on the press. Great people there at Dillion. Buy American!!! Regards, Rodfac

Fugowii
05-15-2009, 12:37 PM
i bet i have maybe 10 primers hit the floor on 5 k worth of reloading with it.
Jaime

I just de-primed/sized less than 1K of .223 brass and I'll bet at least 75 hit the
floor. I have lubed it, put in the famous safety pin fix, adjusted (bent) the chute,
etc. This is the best I have had it work since I have owned it. It's a real crappy
design at best, especially when de-priming and sizing rifle brass, and especially
mill brass. BTW, you would think with something as simple as a spent primer
catcher that Dillon could get it so that none hit the floor, not even ten. Makes
you wonder about the rest of the design? It does me. If I had engineers
working for me that were satisfied with that design, I would either get it
corrected or they would be walking the streets looking for a job.

Trey45
05-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Reading everyones issues with their dillons here makes me want to hug mine, it has been nothing but flawless in its operation since replacing the parts. Every primer gets fed correctly and every spent primer gets caught in the collection cup. The powder charge is accurate enough , although my Lee pro auto disc seems to throw a more consitent charge. I don't load max, or near max charges to begin with, so a slight variance in the dillon powder measure isn't going to be of major concern.

kywoodwrkr
06-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Service is number with Dillon-I guess.
I sure don't know for sure!
I e-mailed them a month ago asking what steps would be necessary or at least a what to look at guide, to clean and make operational a 550 which had smoke damage from a fire.
NADA. Nothing.
It will be a real cold day somewhere before I buy anything blue you can rest assured.
On similar path, took delivery of a Lee 20 # Prod Pot.
Screw which holds wooden handle on was not welded on.
Contacted Lee, and two days later had part in hand.
BIG difference.
FWIW.

lead_her_fly
06-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey ky,
Send that press to me. Anyone else having problems with Dillon's service and are mad at their stuff, pm me and I will send you my address to send it to.

I have 3 SDBs and an XL650. NEVER had a problem with customer service, not once. I even got some parts that weren't supposed to be sent, sent to me!

If you have a problem with their customer service, I'm betting it ain't them that's the problem. I'm not trying to be mean but their customer service is better than what I give my customers! Honest!

airborneshooter
06-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Agreed. Dillon customer service is the best. I wish everything came with their No B.S. guarantee. Took a tour of the place 10 years ago. Second to none.

Hang Fire
06-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Agree on their service. Just the other day I ordered a 45 Long Colt shellplate for my old 450 and then inquired about getting a primer catcher set up for my Square Deal I had broke. He said that will be shipped at no cost, I said I broke it, he said I didn't ask how it got broke, it is at no cost.

Springfield
06-07-2009, 02:07 AM
I have 2 550's, one for 16 years and one for about 4. I bought the second one because the first one worked so well. It is a mechanical device with moving parts, and I have never seen a perfect machine yet. I have never had to order any parts for the 550's. I did buy a used Square deal that needed some parts, and received them in a very timely manner. Some I had to pay for , but most I didn't, even though they were just lost. Ya think if you bought a used car Ford would replace all the damaged items? I don't think so. As for the unanswered e-mail, I think they deserve more than one chance, e-mail isn't exactly perfect, they get lost all the time. Even on this board.

shoestring
06-07-2009, 10:17 AM
had my 550 for about 12 years now. i love it!!!!!. i have no desire to try anything else period. the current events these days gets my blood pressure up a lot more than a few spent primers on the floor. i guess it's that old ford vs. chevy vs. dodge thing. i am just thankful i live in a country where i CAN own, shoot, and reload for MY guns. Dillon is top shelf!! IMO

Dale53
06-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds, from .32 S&W longs to .375 H&H Magnums on my Dillon 550B. The machine design is EXCELLENT. Like anything mechanical, you do have to learn how to operate it (it is a heck of a lot safer to operate than an automobile, for instance). A couple of years ago I decided to add another machine. I thought about various options, carefully, then decided to just add another 550B. I made the RIGHT decision. A good part of that decision is the GREAT Dillon service.

I'm not, typically, a "cheer leader" but the 550B is a superior piece of equipment and coupled with the more than excellent service says it all for me.

Dale53

10mmShooter
06-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I love my 650, its been churning out ammo for 15 years, I just went to check my log book, its loaded 49,000 rounds in 15 years, the only broken part I have ever had is triangler black plastic thing that drops the new piece of brass.

Dillion is great[smilie=p: