PDA

View Full Version : 1911

hoss-noogy
05-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Anybody else here over the age of 40 not own a 1911 of some kind? I have never been impressed with them. I have shot a high end STI and a $4000.00 brazo. Both jammed. Not trolling but anybody else here feel that way?

DLCTEX
05-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Jammed with what? Mine has worked faithfully through many thousands of rounds of handloads and factory, jacketed and cast. When working with some new boolits and bullets I've had to adjust to find what works in seating depth and powder, some magazines have proven less than satisfactory, some magazines have gotten damaged and gave problems, but when these external things are right, it works. There are probably more aftermarket products and ammo variations for a 1911 than any other pistol out there, and some of these "improvements" can give problems as can some "accurizing" modifications. Most mil spec copies will perform well. Just my 2 centavos.

JSnover
05-12-2009, 06:55 PM
I have a 1991 Commander that jams with some ammunition and not with others. Easy fix; find what it likes.

dominicfortune00
05-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I have an old US Property 1911A1 that I have a hard time hitting anything over 10 yards away with.

I attribute this to the gun being loose.

She never jams, no matter what I feed her.

I shoot much better with my Brazillian Contract S&W 1917.

Geraldo
05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
anybody else here feel that way?

Nope. All of mine run with whatever I put in the magazines-ball, SWCs, HPs, but the 1911 isn't for everyone.

Phil
05-12-2009, 07:54 PM
loose hold.

ddeaton
05-12-2009, 07:59 PM
1911's rock, what else is there? Good tight barrel fit and polished ramp for feeding creates a nice shooting pistol. Loose slide to frame fit doesnt hurt accuracy. A nice Mihec HG68 6 cavity mold, 3.8 gr of Bullseye makes a good time.:Fire:

hoss-noogy
05-12-2009, 08:04 PM
loose hold.

Nope. All the others ok so no limp wristing here

BarryinIN
05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
The only trouble I've ever had with a 1911 has been with guns I've bought used and some previous owner just had to "help" or "tune" it somehow. Every time, they worked fine after reversing their "help". Usually, it's been an extractor that was bent to increase tension, and they got it too tight and caused problems.

And I'm not one of those guys who wouldn't think of looking at anything but a 1911.
I didn't want to like the 1911. I really didn't.
Frankly, I was sick of hearing how they were God's gift to "fightin' guns" long before I ever owned one.
But I got one anyway since it seemed un-American not to have one, and I wanted to try every handgun I could. I kept trying other guns (including 12 Glocks over the years), but I eventually realized that the two I kept coming back to were the 1911 and Browning HiPower.
I gave in. I'm a fan now.

JIMinPHX
05-12-2009, 08:34 PM
I haven't had a single jam since I found the right $10 mags. I can feed it SWC, HP, ball, anything.

HeavyMetal
05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
The only time mine give me any problem is when the get dirty. A quick cleaning and I'm back in the game.

Many 1911's can be ammo sensative and it has always seemed to me the more you spend on one the finickyer it is.

Try buying a $500 Taurus and see if the problem goes away.

phil218b
05-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I would have to say that after 100 years and several generations the old 1911 still fills a respectful place in american history, and a very reliable design. Go find a used 20 year old semi of other design and a 75 year old 1911 and I would say you could continue to feed another 10,000 rounds through each but the 1911 would have less costly maintinance, ease of repair, and more reliabilty than any other out there.
So after many years and lots of different handguns, the one I go to, and pack with me is an old Colt 1911.

mike in co
05-12-2009, 09:21 PM
am i over 40 yes, do i own a 1911...yes bought my first one last week.
do i feel like you...no.

i shot one in the service..familarization only no real qualifying( along with an m16 and the riot shotgun)..........ohh and a garand in boot camp.

my preference in life has been hi cap 9mm. first was a s&w 59, tried a hipower, but they do not fit my hand, next was a cz75 and never stopped.

but for the last couple of months have been looking at a 1911. this is covered on the pistol forum.

new gun, ball and lrn...200 rds...none stop...no errors.

mike in co

KY_Camper
05-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I have a WWII vintage Ithaca and a Colt Series 80 and the only problem I have had was when the series 80 slide stop broke. Both are more accurate than I am.

sleeper1428
05-12-2009, 09:45 PM
All things considered, the 1911 chambered in 45ACP is perhaps the finest handgun ever produced. You may have to make some adjustments in how you load your ammunition and you may have to experiment with different makes of magazines and even do some work on the magazine feed lips but once you get everything working properly you can depend on the 1911 to do the job. As an example, I'm in the process of working out the kinks in a new Para Ordnance PX745SGR and I have every expectation that when I hit the right combination, it's going to perform up to my highest expectations. Oh, by the way, I'm well over 40 - about 31+ years over to be precise!

sleeper1428

AZ-Stew
05-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I have a Colt Gold Cup .45 and a Star Firestar .40 S&W. I seldom shoot either one, as I hate to lose brass. The GC has a loose rear sight cross pin that will fall out after about 50 rounds and the Firestar has about a 20 lb trigger.

I much prefer my S&W K, L and N frame revolvers. No jams, no lost brass, no ammo sensitivity.

That having been said, if I had an endless supply of military hard ball, I'd love to have one of the GI models I toted around on shipboard for many years. I mean one that can be traced back to the ship I served on at the time I served. Nostalgia.

Regards,

Stew

P.S. WAY over 40.

softpoint
05-12-2009, 10:43 PM
The only time mine give me any problem is when the get dirty. A quick cleaning and I'm back in the game.

Many 1911's can be ammo sensative and it has always seemed to me the more you spend on one the finickyer it is.

Try buying a $500 Taurus and see if the problem goes away.

I agree with that. I won't say where the breaking point is, maybe between 12-15 hundred dollars. After that you are buying cosmetics and name. I have a good friend that "builds" 1911's and he has always said "There aint no 1911 worth 2000 dollars, they just aint" I have a couple and they are "customized " somewhat, match barrels and aftermarket beavertails, and they shoot right along with 2 and 3 thousand dollar guns. :drinks::Fire:

Big Boomer
05-12-2009, 11:57 PM
hoss-noogy: Like one of the other posters, I was a revolver lover for many years. I just didn't like what I heard about those tempermental semi-autos. Finally, I yielded and purchased a Ruger P89 at a really great price. I got very good accuracy with reloads compared to what others were saying they were getting. . Then I had the opportunty for a trade for a new P90DC at a great price. Never looked back. Have enjoyed them greatly. While I still have all the revolvers for hunting and target practice, I prize my .45 ACPs and have a few of them, nothing really pricey, though. A Chas Daly, a Dan Wesson Pointeman and a Firestorm high capacity (10 rd) chop job. Even it doesn't do badly at short range. Variety is the spice of life. 'Tuck

Echo
05-13-2009, 02:07 AM
The 1911 fits my hand like the hand of a friend (I think Savage used that as an ad for their pistols). I will shoot others, but the 1911 .45ACP is still my favorite. No problems as long as good magazines are used. When Lew Willing built my wad gun, he included two modified mags that have never hiccupped. NEVER had a failure to feed, no matter whether I was shooting W-W, Rem, Federal, or Peters (my favorite). The only malfunctions came when I retired and started shooting reloads - not familiar with the dirtiness caused by the lube. When in service, I cleaned my guns at the end of the season, but that doesn't work w/cast boolits. My wad gun still shoots 2 1/2" groups @ 50 yds.

BIGGUNGOBOOM
05-13-2009, 02:18 AM
IM under 40, and have several 1911's, I also have other semi auto's like Glocks and such. I used to years ago hate 1911 cause I couldn't shoot them worth a darn, and accuracy seemed less that good. then I started reloading and found out that with the right ammo the 1911 is a far superior gun. Not that I don't like others, but now my taste is for sure with 1911's. they just need to be figured out if you will, and find the right ammo that the gun likes.

oldhickory
05-13-2009, 04:20 AM
There ain't nuthin else in the world of self feeders. The only time mine stops is when the magazine is empty! That old girl will hand cycle an entire magazine of empties, not to mention any live ammo I feed her!

The only other self loading pistol I own is a 40 year old Ruger standard model .22...Nuff said.

StrawHat
05-13-2009, 06:06 AM
Anybody else here over the age of 40 not own a 1911 of some kind? I have never been impressed with them. I have shot a high end STI and a $4000.00 brazo. Both jammed. Not trolling but anybody else here feel that way?

Morning H-N, Like you I am over 40 and without a 1911 of any sort. Never did warm up to them even though I had the use of several of them. I just prefer my revolvers. My brother has offered to build one for me but I don't see the use. It will just lay around and get dusty.

corvette8n
05-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I have a circa 1957 Argentine Colt, and I have never fed it anything but millitary ball, it has not jammed on me. Except for the wrap around grips mine is stock, but I do know a few shooters with race guns as they call them.

Cherokee
05-13-2009, 09:43 AM
GI 1911 I purchased from DCM ( a looog time ago) was my first CF handgun. Have owned at least one ever since, presently 5 plus and I even built up several of mine. They will malfunction if not fed good ammo or barrels not throated properly for SWC bullets. I also have other semi-autos that I like, but not as well.

dolang1
05-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I also have an Argentine Colt. I bought it because my supervisor told me it was against the law to be my age and not have a 1911. I bought the Sistema because it was cheap. I never go to the range without it and it shoots everything I load for it. I plan to Durabake it someday. Later Don

captaint
05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Hoss - I own two. A GI Rem Rand and a high end. They both gobble up whatever I put in the mag. I love(gay, I know) both. And I still like my revolvers too. Mike

fecmech
05-13-2009, 04:42 PM
66 years old here. I own 2, a 1911 made in 1918 that was accurized by the AMU back in the 60's and a 1911 Mil spec from Springfield Armory. The old Colt will feed anything including empty cases and will still stay under 3"@50yds all day long(wish I could!). The Mil Spec is very dependable, won't do the empty case routine but pretty much 100% with any load with enough energy to fully cycle the slide. The 1911 trigger is the best out there in CF auto's IMO.

Hardcast416taylor
05-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Let me see... I`m almost twice the age of 40! I`ve used a .45 since the early `50`s. I carried a .45 as a deputy sheriff. I still either use as a house gun or as a "social" deterrant item a .45. I have relied on it in many forms, either miltary or civilian models, more times than I want to remember. If you have a problem with a .45 Colt perhaps you should go back to carrying a slingshot in your back pocket instead since it won`t jam on you. If you have jam problems, find out why, there usually is a good reason why it is happening and often a simple fix. Robert

BD
05-13-2009, 05:01 PM
There's been a 1911 in a drawer nearby since I was born, in fact that goes back three generations. I currently own 3 Kimbers, one in each barrel length. Between my father and us three sons I'd bet there's 10 of them. The only other shell throwing handgun I own is a ruger .22/45. I always prefered it for carry, and after a couple of years of action pistol competition I'm convinced of it's advantages in social situations. My 5 incher is coming up on 50,000 rounds and it's only choked on me twice.
BD

crabo
05-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I love 'em. I have had a number of race guns, but that got too expensive to keep up with the Joneses. I have a Para frame, with all the goodies and a Kart barrel, a Kimber lightweight Commander both in 45 acp. I also have a 38 Super with all the good stuff and a Knowlin barrel.

I don't think there is a more cast friendly auto than a 45 1911. Brass is easy to find and pick up compared to 40s and 9s. You don't need anymore than a H&G 68 and your BD45 to cover all your shooting needs. It might take a little work to get it to feed the swcs but it is worth it.

It's easy to get a good trigger and it just shoots where I look. You can't beat that.

hoss-noogy
05-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Let me see... I`m almost twice the age of 40! I`ve used a .45 since the early `50`s. I carried a .45 as a deputy sheriff. I still either use as a house gun or as a "social" deterrant item a .45. I have relied on it in many forms, either miltary or civilian models, more times than I want to remember. If you have a problem with a .45 Colt perhaps you should go back to carrying a slingshot in your back pocket instead since it won`t jam on you. If you have jam problems, find out why, there usually is a good reason why it is happening and often a simple fix. Robert

Never carried a slingshot in my back pocket. Dont tell anybody else here, but I usually tote a Glock 23 or 19. And yea I still got all my fingers. Thirteen -fifteen rounds of Speer Gold Dot goodness. Neither one ever choked.

But I hope everyone here has confidence in what they carry or keep for self defense.

What kind of truck ya drive?:kidding:

Newboy
05-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Way past 40, never owned one, still don't.

Shot some that were so accurate, it seemed like I could just think where I wanted to hit, and a hole would appear.

Can be made to have a very nice trigger.

Seems to be pistol for people who like to tinker with things. Always adjusting springs and magazines.

When I go to a match, half of the problems will be 1911s. And everyone says the same "never done that before!" Maybe people with 1911s have short memories.

JIMinPHX
05-13-2009, 07:55 PM
If you ever want to stir the pot around here - just badmouth the ol' Colt .45 Auto & it's a done deal.

Sprue
05-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I had some stove piping once (new loads / new boolit) but that problem was cured by the additiion of another 1/2 gr of powder. However that lead to a real issue...picking up brass. I don't pickup much brass anymore (mine), I resorted to another variation of steel. Lordy Lordy, way past forty.....

4570guy
05-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Love the 1911. I currently own a Taurus PT1911. Its never jammed once. It shoots better than I can -- not bad for a $500 1911.

I can also say the same thing for my Ruger P97.

The only stories I've heard regarding 1911's jamming are high end, tight race pistols. Even then, if they are properly tuned, they don't jam either.

KYCaster
05-15-2009, 01:37 AM
When I go to a match, half of the problems will be 1911s. And everyone says the same "never done that before!" Maybe people with 1911s have short memories.

OK, I can believe that. Some guys can make any gun quit. If they had problems, they didn't win the match. What was the winner shooting? Probably a 1911!

You can't tell what works by looking at the losers....and why do the losers shoot 1911,s? Cause that's what the winners are shooting...but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's winning because he shoots a 1911...he could probably win with something else, but it's a little easier with a 1911.

Jerry

Hardcast416taylor
05-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Hoss-Noogy, I`ve driven about everything from tanks with mine sweepers mounted on them to my current GMC. I sort of feel ashamed to admit it, but I own a Glock - a Model 21 in .45 acp that is compensated. My long suffering 70`s Colt Combat Commander is on it`s second barrel and bushing. I mounted my own Trijicon sights and made any changes to it otherwise myself such as springs, trigger and extended controls. With my eyes going South on me I have Crimson Trace grips with a laser in them on the Colt. Nothing like a red dot on a bad guys forehead to make his Fruit-of-the-looms turn yellow!:Fire: Robert

looseprojectile
05-15-2009, 01:11 PM
is good then the Para ordnance double stack is mo betta.
The wonder nines with high capacity are good for the masses and I like the double action autos. However I grew up with the single action 1911 and they are second nature for me to shoot.
Someone said recently, A 9mm MAY expand but a fortyfive will never SHRINK.
My double stack .45 holds 16 rounds and I have shot against some good shooters in head to head competition and won. [bowling pin].
Of course I cheated. I loaded real soft heavy boolits with a wide meplat and depended on momentum
My .45 seems to eat anything I load and I can tailor the load to the use.
The Para Ord P14 is the answer for me.

Life is good

azrednek
05-16-2009, 05:29 AM
the Firestar has about a 20 lb trigger.

Regards,

Stew

P.S. WAY over 40.

Stew have you removed the mag/trigger block safety? Made a big difference on my Firestar's trigger pull.

6.5 mike
05-16-2009, 06:56 AM
I too am well past 40. Have 3 45's, 70 series ss combat commander, minor custom, a 625 4" with a glass smooth trigger out of the box, & a brazil 1917, one of my most fun shooters. Shot them in the service & ever since.
Something about bad guy looking down wrong end of 625 full of hy-dra skoks does my heart good. Going to stop his!!