PDA

View Full Version : Determining Max OAL

Bass Ackward
03-02-2006, 07:31 AM
We have methods to obtain critical measurements on just about anything else we need. Is there a practical way to do this outside of trial and error with a loaded round that anyone has found?

As it turns out, an accident took place where someone picked up a 44 Mag of 1.715 in length and shoved it up the tube of my new Marlin 1894FG. While I explained what I needed to do to remove it, he cycled it home slick as you please and then out in his hand. I measured the round again and it was 1.715. So this time I loaded it and cycled it slow to watch the clearance. Seems I have some more distance to spare. Thinking of my long throat in this gun, I want to know how much.

I tried several designs at this length and all went well. Slow or fast. Then I got brave and decided to try one in my Browning 92. No way.

Has anyone else noticed that Marlin modified their short levers in the last couple of years to accomodate loads of this length?

45 2.1
03-02-2006, 07:42 AM
BA-

I'm suprised that a 44 mag would fit in an 1894FG, which is a 41 mag.

w30wcf
03-02-2006, 09:40 AM
BA,
I have a '94 Marlin in .45 Colt that I purchased in 1997. It will feed rounds up to 1.72" in length with nary a hitch.

I have one Model '92 in .357 and 1.59" is the max. o.a.l. on cartridges that it will feed reliably. 1.59" happens to be the o.a.l. of the cartridges this action was designed for ..... .32-20, .38-40, .44.40 and .25-20.

One can modify the carrier / lifter on individual rifles to load slightly longer cartridges if so desired.

Trial and error is the only method that I know of to determine the overall length that an individual rifle is capable of feeding. The meplat diameter of the bullet also factors into the equation. In the afore mentioned '92, using LBT 180 gr. bullets with a .28 Meplat, I had to shorten the cartridge o.a.l. to 1.55", otherwise the wider nose of this bullet would disengage the cartridge stop and allow the 2nd round to follow the first round into the carrier, thus tying up the action and requiring the removal of the mag tube end, spring and follower to remove the cartridges. Not exactly fun.

w30wcf

NVcurmudgeon
03-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Bass, my 1894 Marlin Cowboy will not feed cartridges loaded with the RCBS 250 KT in standard length cases. That long Keith nose will slam into the front wall of the receiver every time. I trim my .44 Magnum cases .010" shorter than nominal "trim to" length, and all is well. To avoid confusion, I use the same slightly short cases in my S&W 629. However, I did have to arrive at this solution by trial and error because I haven't yet figured out any other way!

Bass Ackward
03-02-2006, 06:48 PM
BA-

I'm suprised that a 44 mag would fit in an 1894FG, which is a 41 mag.

Bob,

Woops. 1894PG.

Bass Ackward
03-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Bass, my 1894 Marlin Cowboy will not feed cartridges loaded with the RCBS 250 KT in standard length cases. That long Keith nose will slam into the front wall of the receiver every time. I trim my .44 Magnum cases .010" shorter than nominal "trim to" length, and all is well. To avoid confusion, I use the same slightly short cases in my S&W 629. However, I did have to arrive at this solution by trial and error because I haven't yet figured out any other way!

Curmmy,

I was reading that which you posted on another thread. My Keiths give an OAL of 1.710. And that was why I was suprised to see them cycle.

When Bob designed the 240 grainer, it was decided that we needed three seating depths. The first was for 44 Marlins, the second for 444s and the third pistols. Well, it seems this gun don't care. Had it not been tried accidently, it might have been years before I realized it.

Opens new avenues to experimentation and dual use rounds now. More D@^* experiments. :grin:

Jack,

I was shocked considering all my problems in the past with seating and trimming brass. My Browning 92 chokes on anthing longer than 1.62. Nice not to have to fool around. I have modified carriers before, just too lazy on mine I guess.