PDA

View Full Version : Wine cork foil is made of tin!

earplug
05-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Wine Bottles in the Napa ValleyWine. Bottles Sizes; Foil; Corks; Punt ... Today the capsule is made of tin, plastic or even paper. Should you encounter an older bottle of wine that has a ...

I was cutting the foil on a bottle of wine the other night and got to wondering about what the foil was made of.
Did a search and found another cheap source of Tin to alloy Boolits. Might have to cut back on the Box wine and screws cap stuff to keep the alloy correct.

putteral
05-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I'll drink to that!!
:drinks:

dakotashooter2
05-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Drinking to support your shooting habit. That sounds like a dream.

snaggdit
05-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Aww, I really kind of like the box wine, but if it's for a good cause...

RayinNH
05-11-2009, 07:46 PM
They may be aluminum...Ray

cheese1566
05-11-2009, 08:29 PM
When I made wine, the caps I put on the top were actually PVC. They felt like plastic until you shrunk them down (heatshrinked). When you cut them off to open the bottle, they felt kind of like metal foil.

Hold a flame to them and see if they burn...

leadeye
05-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I make my own wine, maybe I should make my own cap foil when I bottle it!:-D

earplug
05-11-2009, 11:29 PM
I have opened enough bottles to tell the difference between plastic and metal foil. You can feel the weight of the metal when you ball it up in your fist.
I'm a little dumbfounded that I didn't link the tin foil to my boolit casting until last week.

AZ-Stew
05-12-2009, 12:35 AM
I've seen three materials used for these seals: Plastic, Tin and Aluminum.

The plastic ones are easy to spot. If you bend them radically, they'll snap back to their original shape. Aluminum seals have a bluish tint to them (inside, facing bottle) and they are light in weight. The tin seals have a yellowish cast to them and are heavier than the aluminum seals.

Regards,

Stew

Dale53
05-12-2009, 12:41 AM
My son used to own a wine shop. They also sold wine by the glass over the wine bar. He saved the seals for me (when he lived at home, he became an excellent bullet caster and realized the value of tin). Just yesterday, while straightening up the garage (and re-arranging my lead supply) I found a box of those.

Guess what is getting smelted, shortly?[smilie=1:

Dale53

Green Frog
05-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Hey Dale, I'll give you a hand with that tin when I get there next week. Maybe we can make some bullets that will be good enough for you to have a chance against me in our great Ohio Shootout! :-D:-D:-D:-D

Tin from wine bottles. I'll drink to that! :drinks:

Froggie

Dale53
05-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm primed for you, Froggy!! Primed, that is!!

I'll drink to that, too:drinks:

Dale53

montana_charlie
05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I was cutting the foil on a bottle of wine the other night and got to wondering about what the foil was made of.
Did a search and found another cheap source of Tin to alloy Boolits.
I have a small batch of ingots that I bought from a guy who was melting down a large supply of wine seals. Hoping to find my own supply, I have Googled myself blind...with no mention anywhere of them being currently available.

Are you just getting them one at a time from individual wine bottles?
CM

EDIT...
Because of this thread, I went back to Google. Maybe I just missed it before, or maybe the fact did not appear, but searching for information on any kind of wine 'seals' is a waste of time.

'Capsule' is the word to look for.

Unfortunately, when you do find information on tin capsules, you also run into this kind of information;

As prices for raw material and shipping rise drastically [250% in two years], traditional tin capsules may become as endangered as the lead capsules they replaced two decades ago.

Increased Chinese use of tin for soldering electronics; closures of tin mines in areas with political unrest; and speculation in the commodities markets have contributed to the escalating costs.

Alternative materials like aluminum, polylam and PVC, and alternative closures including aluminum screwcaps, provide lower-cost options.

Tin remains the gold standard for premium wine capsules; producers of wines retailing for under $20 are weighing the alternatives.
CM

Beerd
05-12-2009, 02:27 PM
The twist off caps from "Mad Dog" are aloomium :(