PDA

View Full Version : Question for y'all from Mrs. Recluse

Recluse
05-11-2009, 10:34 AM
My wife wanted me to ask a question of all of you. I had taken her to dinner the other night and out of the corner of my eye, saw the NBA playoffs going on via the TV over at the bar.

I jokingly told her to be glad she's not a sports widow. (I have no real interest in any of the professional sports anymore--bunch of overpaid, underworked, spoiled brats. I keep up with college ball now and then and sometimes fly out to watch my alma mater play. College football is a lot more fun than pro football, in my opinion.)

She joked back and said, "No, but I feel like a casting and reloading widow."

I generally cast or reload, on minimum, two to three times a week. She's wondering how often you guys cast or reload or shoot.

:coffee:

docone31
05-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Tell Mrs. Recluse, it will make her feel younger and stronger to dive into this!
My fair bride, came from Los Angeles. You can imagine the issues we faced. However, I got her to be a very good target shooter with big bore. I have more fun helping her rather than myself shooting!
I do the casting, reloading. I rebuilt our home so we can be in the same room during this. Funny, though, we get no visitors in our home. The few that come in, do not stay long!
She is also a jeweler. She comments repeatedly how going to the range helps her ability to work with what we do. Her hands become more precise, her abilities improve. Towards the end of the week, with only one range day per week, she finds she needs a recharge.
Just us.
Tell the Mama, it is ok to join in.

SciFiJim
05-11-2009, 10:52 AM
OK, I am new to casting and reloading so I am experimenting with different things. I normally do that in my rotating day off, so once a week. The range I shoot at is an hour away so I only shoot about twice a month (I take lots of notes on what I am trying out).

What takes up a lot of time, is being on this forum. I am here every day, usually in the evenings, usually for a couple of hours a day. I am still learning and don't want to miss something that might be important.

I would rather be learning on this forum than watching the drivel on TV.

looseprojectile
05-11-2009, 11:02 AM
says, "sure beats me cashing my check in the tavern" when talking about me spending a lot of time in my man cave.
My woman doesn't even like the sound of shooting.

Life is good

jdgabbard
05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Honestly, I was divorced BEFORE I started casting, loading, and heavily shooting. But back in the days when I had a live in, she was always doing her thing in the mirror (for hours on end). So I never needed to shift my attention away from the loading bench. Yeah, every once in a while she'd ask if I was going to do that all day. But when all we were doing was watching TV, I didn't see the need not to be doing some casting or loading. I think that the "better halves" just get a bit jealous because they want to get attention from us man cave dwellers whenever they want it. And when were casting, its not something we can just shut down.

I cast and load as I need to. I try to keep a good stock of all my boolits on hand. So if I go out and shoot 300 rounds at the range (a short day), then I need to cast up about 300, and then I need to prep the brass for the next loading, not to mention doing the loading. So I'll take my time over the course of a couple days casting up the boolits. Then I'll take a day to prep the cases. Then I take one more to load.

Every day that I spend at the bench will take up about 1 - 2 hours at the bench. So its not like I spend ALL my time at the bench. But if we're not doing anything, and she is pre-occupied in front of the tube then I can find something to be doing. Whether its at the bench, reading a book, cutting the grass. Whatever.

Recluse
05-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Probably should mention that Mrs. Recluse has zero problem with my reloading and casting. She's a shooter, too, and a good one. She's a thrifty girl, too, and a good one. And, she hates the Muslim Messiah every bit as much as I do (which I didn't think possible that ANYONE could despise him as much as me) and sees the writing on the wall--so she greatly enjoys the fact that we are pretty much self-reliant and independent so far as all our gun needs. Primers are the exception, but we have plenty for our needs.

She is just curious if some of y'all are daily casters and loaders or if it's a once a year or once a month thing?

I keep telling her that I'm somewhere in the middle of you guys and have been for the last four or more years since we've been reading this board. [smilie=1:

docone31
05-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Hehehe.
Recluse, I bet you and I would be good neighbors. We could go into the man-cave, and our wives could go take lunch somewhere and tell each other what neanderthols we are!
Yet, they respond to the call to arms and we do not have to eat our meat raw.
Tell her , "Good for You guys!"

IcerUSA
05-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Weekly as it gets warmer , winter was for casting but we had some really cold weather here for Michigan and didn't start the heater as it didn't take the chill out of the garage those days .

After work during the week is prep time , work is going 6 days a week right now so Sunday is shoot day , working on loads for the .223 , 22 Hornet , 44 Mag Rifle . To do yet this summer are , 35 Rem , 32 Win Spl , 30-30 (maybe) , still working on alloy for the 9mm so it don't lead .

444 and 45-70 GG are set I think , still looking for the load in the Buffalo Classic .

Plus you never know what might fallow you home from a gun shop or gun show . :)

Keith

JSnover
05-11-2009, 12:16 PM
I cast or smelt two or three times a week and I shoot twice a month on average.

mongo404
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Hell guys my wife helps most of the time on casting and reloading 3-5 days a week. Some might agree and some might not, but the help is greatlly appreciated and the time is considered under the quality time area. Doing what I love with the one I love. And the best part is she dosent even ask for me to help with her hobby. But since we have 3 kids that all shoot she feels that it is her way of helping save money. The funny part is that She dosent like to shoot, only on rare occasion will she shoot a 22. Tell me how rare is that?:-D
Daniel

Shuz
05-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I 'spose I spend 4 to 6 hours a week casting and 2 hours or so a day loading or sizing and try and shoot for about 4 hours at least once a week. Oh, the joys of being retired and having your own shootin' range!

Kraschenbirn
05-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Looks like we're pretty much on the same page.

This time of year, I spend one or, occasionally, two evenings a week in my garage workshop (casting/smelting/cleaning guns) or at my reloading bench in the basement and try to get to the range once a week. During late-fall/winter/early spring, it's more like two evenings and a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and, maybe, once a month to the range (weather permitting).

Bill

runfiverun
05-11-2009, 01:18 PM
i'm gone [300 miles away gone] for 16 days at a time then home for 6. she's glad to see me.
since i am out the door at 3 and home by 10 [not the 7 hrs later 10] and half are am and half are pm the only time we talk is the odd nights i can get on chat here.
at least when i am casting or smelting or shooting she actually knows where i am ,she don't care. and can see me when she likes. she does know how to cast and usually goes shooting with me,guess it maximizes her time with me.

sheepdog
05-11-2009, 01:25 PM
My wife wanted me to ask a question of all of you. I had taken her to dinner the other night and out of the corner of my eye, saw the NBA playoffs going on via the TV over at the bar.

I jokingly told her to be glad she's not a sports widow. (I have no real interest in any of the professional sports anymore--bunch of overpaid, underworked, spoiled brats. I keep up with college ball now and then and sometimes fly out to watch my alma mater play. College football is a lot more fun than pro football, in my opinion.)

She joked back and said, "No, but I feel like a casting and reloading widow."

I generally cast or reload, on minimum, two to three times a week. She's wondering how often you guys cast or reload or shoot.

1. Tell her time=money so spending time casting is saving her money. At least in theory.

2. NFL football is pretty important but college football ellipses even that. I'm even a fan of HS football, where the real heart of football starts.

3. Couples need time apart. I don't rag my wife for reading her goofy books, watching her sappy TV shows, or myspacing her friends all day long. Thats her thing, she needs that and I'm ok with that. And when I spend time doing my stuff shes fine with that. Its how you spend the time together that counts, not the quanity.

scrapcan
05-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Sheepdog,

You have spoken like the true texans that I know. Friday night Lights is a way of life down your way.

putteral
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
I know I have a wife some where. Saw her on Mother's Day in between reloading for next weeks shooting.
:kidding:

sheepdog
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
It is. My high school won the state championship in 2001. You can bet I let everyone around me know it too. :) College and pro the guys aren't locals, in high school its kids in your area. You're proud of them, you're connected. Heck, look at most successful college QBs (Colt Mccoy, Tim Tebow, Harrell, Daniels, etc) all are from Texas.

stubshaft
05-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Tell her that you are saving money to take her out to dinner!

Trey45
05-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I cast boolits at least once a week, this past week was more due to rainy weather. At least once a week I lube, or size boolits. At least once a week I reload boolits. I shoot most every day, there's nothing behind me but a wheat field and swamp, I've got a couple targets back there I work on. But, I'm divorced so I can get away with it :)

largom
05-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Retired, have my own shooting range [400 yds.], small machine shop, and I work on guns, cast boolits, reload, or shoot 6 days a week. I go to an auction every Sunday, my wife goes to church.
Larry

snaggdit
05-11-2009, 05:38 PM
I try to get to the range at least once every couple weeks. Every week if possible. As I "create brass" I cast and load to replace it. I probably cast 1 night a week. Toss in some range brass now and then to increase the stockpile and I probably spend 2-3 nights a week loading what I cast in various calibers. My wife was calling me boolit man this winter, but now that spring has come I have started doing more outdoors, cleaning up the yard, starting the garden. I never sit still (except in front of the PC on Castboolits or the reloading bench) so my wife is used to it. I work from home so we still get to see all we want of each other. She has her things, too. She doesn't care for shooting but doesn't mind me doing it and the kids sometimes join in. My daughter and I joined a 22 family siloette league her friend's family goes to every Wed. night (they have their 3 and 4yo shoot, too!). She is kicking my butt 2 weeks running. Offhand is my least accurate since I am so tall. 6'5" (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!). Also they say women tend to be better shots. Great fun together. I've got my wife to agree to take hunter safety with my daughter this summer. Hoping that after that she will feel more comfortable with guns. Have been trying carefully to get her to participate...

1Shirt
05-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I try to shoot at least once a week, twice if my schedule and business will allow. This is at an outdoor range in Nebraska, and that means year round. Of course it depends on weather, and I don't like to shoot below freezing, or above 90. However, can honestly say that I have been able to shoot at least once or twice a month in each of the 12 months of the year for the past 3-4 years. As the range is 35mi one way (disadvantage of living in the city), there is of course a time and gas factor. My son in law and I like to be on the range early, and most often are the first on the range, and usually are done shooting for the most part befor others get there. We shoot mid week and that is advantageous for us as so many other shooters are only able to shoot after work or on weekends. I would give my left watchamacallit to be able to have my own range out the back door, but that is about as probable as a second vergin birth. The better half and daughter have both been shooters and competetors and are understanding of the shooting needs and compulsions of the spouses. I feel sorry for those who do not have understanding wifes. As for those who do not have understanding wifes, I can only say that"Life is a decision making process, and ya gotta live with your decisions!"
1Shirt!:coffee:

DLCTEX
05-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I cast and reload in stops and starts, depending on work load. My wife is ok with it and usually I try to get most of it done before she comes home. She keeps her office open until 6:00 PM and then has reports to enter and records to square away, so sometimes is not home until 8 or 8:30 she is a cell phone agent). I mostly supervise in my construction business now, and can get away early some days. We like different TV programs, and she likes to read a lot, so there is little conflict. We are much more laid back than when we were younger (we're pushing mid-sixties) and both like Cowboys, Texas. and Texas Tech football. I cast and reload for 5 sons, two daughter-in-laws, 1 grandson (currently), and some friends, and some 38's for the wife on rare occasions, so she doesn't mind most of the time. I quit smoking, drinking, racing, rodeoing, garden much less, and fish very seldom now so she knows a guy needs some diversion. DALE

geargnasher
05-11-2009, 08:54 PM
I usually have a marathon casting session about once a month and reload once or twice a week just to supply what I shoot. I don't stockpile plinking/target ammo right now, I stock a few cases of proven loads in a few calibers and keep a bunch of clean, ready-to-go components around for everything I own since most of my range time is spent working up new loads.

I asked my wife how she feels about this (she is sitting right here at the table playing "Second life" while she is cooking supper and she said that she doesn't mind a bit that I have my hobbies because we always get "our time". I work about 60hrs a week and don't get much play time, but we keep the communication going and neither of us feels "widowed".

Gear

HeavyMetal
05-11-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't reload as much as I once did. There was a time, 1970's, that I competed in IPSC match's here in So Cal. I also did some bullseye match's with my local club, now long gone.

As I got older more responsibilty entered my life and time to enjoy the hobby diminished. Then the kids got older and the time came back to me.

I'm sure this is pretty true of any family making a go of it yesterday or today.

I spend more time experimenting with load, molds and dies than with actual shooting these days mostly because the economy is way down here in the southland.

However it is picking up and I will get out to shoot soon. As to how often? Well spent the week end running the lathe to make an adapter for a Lyman 55 powder measure that screws into a Lee powder through expander die and doesn't "flop" all over the place when the turret head is turned on my All American or Tru line junior.

Last weekend I worked out two of my group buy molds for a few hours, the 357 and 44 PSW molds set up by Blammer, and made about 1000 cast boolits.

The next day I sorted and sized.

So I do a little bit every weekend and maybe a little every night between picking up the kid that don't drive and house work.

In the next week or so I'll take a pistol to work and have "lunch" at a local indoor range to test a few target 38's in my old Model 52 smith.

I hope this answer's Mrs Recluse's question.

randyrat
05-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I read about shooting/reloading about 5 hours a week, load about 2-3 hours a week and shoot a 1-2 hours a week.
It's a whole lot better than crying in a bottle of Whiskie.
Now my oldest son is interested in shooting and casting a lot more since the price of ammo went up/availability went down. He is constantly asking and has a want to learn now.
This little ammo shortage i think will give our hobbbie a big boost.

Tom Herman
05-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Probably should mention that Mrs. Recluse has zero problem with my reloading and casting. She's a shooter, too, and a good one. She's a thrifty girl, too, and a good one. And, she hates the Muslim Messiah every bit as much as I do (which I didn't think possible that ANYONE could despise him as much as me) and sees the writing on the wall--so she greatly enjoys the fact that we are pretty much self-reliant and independent so far as all our gun needs. Primers are the exception, but we have plenty for our needs.

She is just curious if some of y'all are daily casters and loaders or if it's a once a year or once a month thing?

I keep telling her that I'm somewhere in the middle of you guys and have been for the last four or more years since we've been reading this board. [smilie=1:

I'm glad to hear that Mrs. Recluse is a wonderful lady.
I don't care about sports at all, and mostly work with technical hobbies.
As far as casting goes, I do that when weather and opportunity coincide.
Lately, I've been horrendously busy with the technical stuff, and only had time to work out my mold issues. Now I'm ready to cast, but won't be able to do so for a week or two. Then I plan to pump out a small mountain on .38's and .45 LC's.
Sonmetimes I'll cast two days on a weekend, and do this for a couple of weekends in a row.
Again, it all depends on weather and timing.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

No_1
05-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Mrs. No_1 is very tolerant of my hobbies. I think it is comforting for her to know when she sticks her head into the man-cave that I will be at her side in less than a minute.

She has always packed the cooler with snacks / lunch / drinks when I have taken #2 daughter to the range and has attended such sessions (along with #3 daughter) a couple of times. I feel I have a good one and wish the same luck to the rest of you.

R.

runfiveswife
05-13-2009, 10:41 AM
yup what runfiverun said since i am his wife, love shooting of course he does most of the reloading but i do do alot of casting and lubing, anyway i like to try to go shooting when we can at least 2 times a week. oh and thanks for asking