PDA

View Full Version : Question about shipping

hoss-noogy
05-10-2009, 08:35 AM
I need to ship some brass and needed to know how many pounds I can put into the flat rate box. I have never shipped anything big thru USPS and was just wondering

largom
05-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Flat rate box is just that. It's a flat rate regardless of how much you put in it.
Larry

3006guns
05-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I believe the weight limit in pounds is 70 for the standard flat rate box. I know you can get one heck of a lot of lead in one! Shipping brass is perfectly legal but if asked what the box contains, tell them "brass extrusions".

WickedGoodOutdoors
05-10-2009, 08:44 AM
I just shipped some and filled a small flat rate box chock full. Would have done the same to the large flate rate if I had more brass.

I dont think that you can get more brass in the box than it will accept wieght wize. Maybe if you laid each piece carefully in a alternating stack and wrapped it into a brick. Yea like thats gonna happen?

A pound of lead on the otherhand is pretty heavy

http://www.horsesoldier.com/catalog/m19298.JPEG

hoss-noogy
05-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Do you get the box from the post office.fill it up ,pay and send? Also,what is the cost to send? Sorry for the silly questions. I shipped about 30 peices of brass to Arizona recently thru ups store and it cost me $15. Like to have passed out when they told me the price. Hence the reason for the question

opentop
05-10-2009, 09:03 AM
How much brass are you shipping? Go to the post office and look at their FREE priority mail boxes. They have a small flate rate box that will cost less than 6 bucks to ship. then they have a larger flat rate box that will cost about 11.00 to ship. to can ship up to 70 pounds in a flat rate box.

NEWENGLANDCHARTERS .............Is that a canister round for a civil war canon?

Bob Krack
05-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I need to ship some brass and needed to know how many pounds I can put into the flat rate box. I have never shipped anything big thru USPS and was just wondering
The Domestic Mail Manual (rules of US Postal Service) specify 70 pounds as the maximum.

You will occasionally find unfriendly Postal clerks if the package weight is over 50 pounds or so, and if ya get up to 68 or 69 pounds, there just might be an issue with scale accuracy.

Make certain the box says "Flat Rate" - there are 5 flat rate packages:

Priority Flat Rate Envelope - about 9-1/2"x12" $ 4.95
Priority Flat Rate Small Box - about 5-1/2x8-1/4x1-1/2 $4.95
Priority Flat Rate Box (FRB1) about 8-1/2x11x5-1/5 $10.35
Priority Flat Rate Box (FRB2) about 12x13x3-1/2 $10.35
Priority Flat Rate Large Box about 12x13x5-1/2 $13.35

There are several other Priority Mail shipping boxes that look very much like the flat rate boxes but are NOT marked "Flat Rate" so watch the label.

Postal rates go up Monday, May 11, 2009. The amount is fairly small - I will try to post the new rates later today.

Bob

hoss-noogy
05-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks

trooperdan
05-10-2009, 11:22 AM
You can even go to the www.usps.gov web site, pay and print the postage and ask for the postal carrier to come & get it!

SciFiJim
05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
from a pdf on the USPS.com website about rate changes

4. $4.95 is charged for matter sent in a Priority Mail flat-rate
envelope or small flat-rate box provided by the USPS, regardless
of weight or domestic destination.

5. $10.35 is charged for material sent in a Priority Mail regular/
medium flat-rate box provided by the USPS, regardless of weight
or domestic destination.

6. $13.95 is charged for material sent in a Priority Mail large flat-rate
box provided by the USPS, regardless of weight to domestic
addresses, and $11.95 to APO/FPO destination addresses

It looks like the flat rate shipping will stay the same. So, we can still ship lead for a great price. The $10.35 box will hold over 60 lbs of ingots. I make sure and double box it (using their boxes place one inside the other and tape both).

Tom Herman
05-10-2009, 12:39 PM
The Domestic Mail Manual (rules of US Postal Service) specify 70 pounds as the maximum.

You will occasionally find unfriendly Postal clerks if the package weight is over 50 pounds or so, and if ya get up to 68 or 69 pounds, there just might be an issue with scale accuracy.

Hi Bob,

Yep, I don't push things too far. No one likes handling super heavy packages. I try to keep stuff here to 50 pounds to keep on good terms with my local postal staff, they are truly great ladies and friends!
It's the horses hind ends in other PO's that I take the really heavy stuff to... There, it's not only shipping stuff out, but great recreation! It's fun watching idiots with attitudes melting down in front of me...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

S.R.Custom
05-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Depends on caliber. The last time I sent brass, I was getting in the neighborhood of 25-35 lbs to a box, and that's with wadded newspaper packing in the corners to keep the thing from rattling.

I shipped about 30 peices of brass to Arizona recently thru ups store and it cost me $15.

Sounds about right... for overnight Air Express to New Guinea. Boy, did you get hosed. Those same 30 pieces of silver.. err... brass mailed in a padded envelope and sent first class US Mail prolly would of only cost a buck-fifty.

Bob Krack
05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I checked and the Priority Flat Rate prices did NOT go up this time! Hah!
You can also sign up for "Click-N-Ship" at the URL shown above (www.usps.gov) which will print the labels for you and they include delivery confirmation and the total price is about $ .50 less per package!

And - Tom - you are SOOOO right!

Bob

SciFiJim
05-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Priority Flat Rate Box (FRB1) about 8-1/2x11x5-1/5 $10.35
Priority Flat Rate Box (FRB2) about 12x13x3-1/2 $10.35

The only problem is that on click-n-ship they do not have the option for the above sizes.
They only have the option for the video tape sized box and the large flat rate box.

Bob Krack
05-17-2009, 08:21 AM
The only problem is that on click-n-ship they do not have the option for the above sizes.
They only have the option for the video tape sized box and the large flat rate box.
Jim,
I just shipped an FRB1 box last week with click-n-ship. 63 pounds, $ 9.85.

I have the software on another computer, will check the issue later and get back to ya.

Bob