PDA

View Full Version : 20 gauge rifled slugs in a 62 cal smooth bore ?

amwdc
05-09-2009, 11:32 PM
hi im new here i was wondering if there is mold out there that is 20 gauge rifle slug similar to Remingtons's rifled slug , im buying either 62 caliber Double Barrel Flintlock pistol or a 62 caliber Double Barrel Cap lock Pistol from these guys http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWpistol.shtml . I want to try and get some accuracy out ever which one i choose im ordering a 62 caliber round ball mold but i'm concerned about accuracy. im not to confident in buckshot but my buddy dose have a mold .I think a rifled slug would give a smooth bore some accuracy .

freedom475
05-10-2009, 12:02 AM
I tried the foster slug in my Howdah and it tumbles..hits sideways at 5 yrds.

Glued some wool blanket strips into the hollow base and they stableized and shot great but you can watch them fall from the sky at 200yrds...they just won't shoot farther than that.

With the RB. the 62 howdah is awsome! I have hit steel shotgun poppers at 100yrds. Asprin bottles at 10yrds are easy.

I suggest goin with the Round Ball mould as I have been through what you are trying to do and found that the RB is the best.

nitroproof
05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
amwdc-
Never heard of Middlesex Village Trading Company... they have some interesting stuff!
Will watch this threads for answers to your question.

northmn
05-10-2009, 07:25 AM
The Foster slug was invented to permit slugs to go through any chokes. The old pumpkin ball was so undersized it rattle down the bore. Even in a modern shotgun the use of a roundball in a sleeve in an open choked gun is pretty impressive and preferred by some for big nasty critters over the Foster. In a ML I see little difference in loading a slug or a RB for convenience, especially if you make a loading block using a 5/8 inch drill. The "mess" of traditional muzzel loading was mostly a catch phrase used by marketing to lure you into buying the latest and greatest junk that they can think up.

Northmn

amwdc
05-11-2009, 12:18 AM
I am having a hard time finding a .62 caliber mold ,other than the rcbs mold i came across for 60 bucks and it dose not come with the handles (...............RIP OFF).ill have to look to see if lee makes one 20$ is great and most of there mold comes the handles.

John Taylor
05-11-2009, 05:21 AM
The round ball should do better than the slug out of a pistol. In test a round ball out of a smooth bore shot as good as a rifled bore at 25 yards. I played around with round ball in a 12 gauge and was able to hit pop cans at 50 yards, lots of fun. Most 62s take a .610" RB so there is room for the patch.

freedom475
05-16-2009, 11:06 AM
many people including myself shoot the 60cal RB in there 62 smoothies....Lee does make one of these..... I would prefur a larger ball but as you stated "Way to Much $$": and no handles!