PDA

View Full Version : I've gotta stay out of gun shops

Gussy
05-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Slightly off topic, but it's a gun. I shot an informal long range match today and as usual stopped at a regular afternoon stop. A gun store. Lots of guns, mostly used, some WELL used.

First thing I see is something that brought back old memories......REALLY OLD memories. My first gun. It was a war time made Stevens double 410 with plastic stocks. That was what caught my eye. The plastic stocks.

Well actually this wasn't exactly what I'd had. This was an O/U Stevens 410 with the plastic stocks. It came up just like my old double. This one has hammers. 2 small hammers side by side and easy to cock both at once.

It is well used and a bit rough. I looked at it and could see some nice walnut on it and a blue job. It'd make a sweet little shotgun for grandkid....or me.

Well, you didn't think I left it there did you????? I'll get at the walnut in the near future...........

RayinNH
05-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Gussy, are you already lining up projects for next winter?...Ray

Buckshot
05-10-2009, 02:43 AM
..............Gunshops can be disasters for me too. Either financial or mental :-)

..............Buckshot

DLCTEX
05-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Yes, you think you're fixed pretty good for guns and here comes a "gotta have". Had a Fox double barrel 410 once that someone offered too much money and a rifle for, have always regretted letting it go. Don't think I ever saw an O/U with hammers. How about pics.

Echo
05-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Gussy, are you going to do the walnut yourself, or is there a source for 90% stocks for these old guns? I have a Crescent Arms .410 double that really needs new wood, but I know squat about stock-making...

Gussy
05-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Gussy, are you going to do the walnut yourself, or is there a source for 90% stocks for these old guns? I have a Crescent Arms .410 double that really needs new wood, but I know squat about stock-making...

This is a do it yourself project. I went out to the wood pile today and found the chunk left over from a stock I made for a roller. I layed it out and band sawed it. Maybe next week I'll set up the milling machine and do the easy part of inletting. I've already found a problem......the through bolt isn't layed out in a straight line. Might be on the new one, but I'll seek advice soon.

In town lives one of the best custom stock makers in the US, Gary Goudy. He's had work on the cover of Leoupold's catalog. Google him if you want to see some nice work. I'll stop for a visit and get some advise. I've got some stuff to drop off anyway. It'll probably be a couple hour stop while I drool over the works in progress. You should see some of the wood sitting around in his shop!!!!!

Gussy
05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, you think you're fixed pretty good for guns and here comes a "gotta have". Had a Fox double barrel 410 once that someone offered too much money and a rifle for, have always regretted letting it go. Don't think I ever saw an O/U with hammers. How about pics.

Actually, I have 3 with hammers. A ?? .44 cal ML rifle, very old but totally unmarked O/U, a Baretta 12 ga O/U ML shotgun, and now this Stevens model 240 410 O/U.

The 2 ML have regular side hammers, but as shown, the Stevens is center hammers.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd47/jimc99328/410OU1.jpg

the hammers:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd47/jimc99328/410OU2.jpg