PDA

View Full Version : miroku

l-weinrich
05-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I found a made in japan by miroku muzzle loader in a gun shop today. It was sold by sears, are these good guns? The guy said 150.00 for it.

waksupi
05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I believe the price answers your question.

l-weinrich
05-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I guess I will pass on that one then.

Johnch
05-09-2009, 10:33 PM
If my memory is corect
That same ML was also labled as a Browning

So if it is the same rifle
I might be worth grabbing

I Goggled it and found a number of them selling online
Here is one , several are a lot more $$
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128321277

John

l-weinrich
05-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Hmmm, I'll go back and look at it again, it had a leaf pattern engraved on the lock that looked like it was gold filled. I thought it was paint, I better look again. Also the stock went all the way to the muzzle with a brass divider part way up.

northmn
05-10-2009, 07:34 AM
The brass divider permitted them to use a shorter drill to drill the ramrod hole. The one mentioned as made by Browning was a Hawken type copy. Those cheaper longrifle copies may work as a beater but had a cheap lock which defies getting a real good trigger pull. Some needed a better mainspring as they would not always set off a cap no matter what you did to tune the system.

Northmn

l-weinrich
05-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Ok, as you can see I don't know much about muzzleloaders I just thought it might be fun to get one to shoot. If anyone would like to enllighten me I would appreciate it.:)

mooman76
05-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Can't help you much as far as Ml's go. It's hard to explain to someone that knows nothing about them what is good vs. bad with the 1000's of guns there are out there and conditions very allot (espesially used ones) depending on how someone cared for them. Best advice would be take someone with experience with you to help you if possible. It is very common for someone to shoot a ML and forget to clean it right away. There's a big difference between not cleaning right away a ML and not cleaning an ordinary rifle. On an ML it will start to corrode and rust within 24 hrs of not being cleaned. That's why I never put mine away after shooting, so I won't forget and it will get cleaned right away.
I'm not trying to scare you away, just trying to clue you in some. You are right, they are allot of fun but allot of people get tired of them quick when they find out are stinky and kind of nasty to clean and take a little effort to load and shoot. I think it's worth it myself but some people, it's just not there cup of tea. Another thing would be to would be to find a ML club and show up when they are shooting. I'm sure you will find them eagar to help and show you the ways. Other than that if you don't mind spending the money, $150 isn't that bad for starting out. You don't want to go out and spend a thousand dollars on a gun and find out you don't care for it. On the ML's you can't really look down the barrel to see how it was cared for inside like an ordinary rifle. My first rule of thumb is if it wasn't cared for on the ouside, the inside is probably not cared for either. Look down the barrel as far as you can see or better yet get one of those tiny light and turn it on and drop down the barrel so you can see the inside. Hope I helped.

ktw
05-10-2009, 10:20 AM
One of the best entry level deals going are the Lyman Great Plains Rifles. You can order them mail-order as a kit or as a completed gun, no FFL required. Look for them at Midsouth Shooters Supply or Natchez. Not a great lock, but servicable, particularly in the percussion version.

You can get a better rifle (for more money, of course) from a semi-custom builder like Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (http://www.avsia.com/tvm/). There is a marketplace for good quality used (consignment) guns at Track of the Wolf (http://www.trackofthewolf.com/). T-o-t-W has great pictures of their used guns and kits that should teach you quite a bit about the various styles of rifles, if nothing else.

There is a semi-custom traditional gun builder in the lower peninsula called Sitting Fox. I have never dealt with them, but may be worth a visit to see and handle some rifles. Google them up. I think they may be over near the thumb.

I have heard that the annual "Living History" show in Kalamazoo is supposed to be pretty good and serves as a large annual traditional muzzleloader gun show, among other things. Those are held around the middle of March.

-ktw

l-weinrich
05-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Thank you all for your response. I will look at all of the muzzleloaders at the gunshop and report back to this forum and perhaps someone will be able to give me advice. I have to repair some gunstocks for the gunshop so I will be returning there about the middle of next week. By the way, this place has more used guns than any place in michigan so if anyone has a request I will check for them.

59sharps
05-10-2009, 03:15 PM
how about a modle # or photo. for $150 i do not think you could get hurt. some of there civil war stuff shot well from what i rember reading

Maven
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Also, Miroku has been making the current crop of Dixie Arms' Tennessee Mtn. rifles. Although I bought mine used (Miroku made), it is very accurate, albeit muzzle heavy. Having said this, I wonder whether parts are available for rifles such as the one I-weinrich is considering.

Gerry N.
05-14-2009, 09:08 PM
First thing you do any time you touch a muzzle loader is take the ramrod and drop it into the bore. If it bounces, fine. If it goes thud and does not bounce, it is loaded. Hand it back and leave. This process is called "Springing the rammer" and should be as intuitive as checking a cartridge arm for a loaded chamber.

Years ago Miroku made some muzzleloaders for Sears and a Co. named Ultra Hi which was based in Florida. The ones with the 2 pc. stocks were in general made very cheaply usually with inferior locks, barrels that "could have been better" and generally less than desirable fit on parts. The stock was made in two parts with a brass joining plate to make the kit cheaper to ship or mail. $150.00 is a tad high unless it comes with some goodies, powder horn, shooting bag, ball mold, that kind of stuff, and is in nearly perfect condition.

If the guy has one of those drop down the bore LED lights, have a squint at barrel condition, if youi've got one and he balks, run! I have yet in forty years of messing with ML guns to see a two piece Kentucky type rifle that was worth the powder to blow it to........well you get the drift.

Your mileage as always, may vary.

Gerry N.