PDA

View Full Version : My Very First Made Ingots

chemist308
05-09-2009, 04:07 PM
It was awsome! All my smelting stuff came from the dollar store. Stock pot, muffin tin, soup ladel and a slotted spoon--even the long candles. I only casted about 12 or so pounds of ingots--enough for full Lee pot.

So, how do I tell if I got any zinc in the ingots? I don't think I did, but how do I tell?

Tom W.
05-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Did your molten metal look like oatmeal? if not there probably wasn't any. The zinc also melts at a higher temp than lead or wheel weights...so it will float for a time before it melts....So you can say "Ah Ha" and skim it off before it does.

runfiverun
05-09-2009, 11:08 PM
big ol golf ball size of oatmeal.
don't confuse this with antimony that hasn't hit the liquidous yet

Buckshot
05-10-2009, 03:02 AM
So, how do I tell if I got any zinc in the ingots? I don't think I did, but how do I tell?

............If it got past you in the rendering portion, you'll know when you try to cast a slug with it. :-)

...............Buckshot

armyrat1970
05-10-2009, 07:48 AM
............If it got past you in the rendering portion, you'll know when you try to cast a slug with it. :-)

...............Buckshot

Yep. But first, what alloy are you using to pour your ingot with? Wheel Weights? If so, get yourself a good thermometer and keep your smelting alloy below 700. You should be able to skim off any zinc that is present before it contaminates the alloy.