PDA

View Full Version : CB for .300 Whisper

simonbos
03-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Does anyone have a recomendation for a cast bullet for a 13.75" 300 whisper barrel (1-10 twist)? This is for silhouette shooting.

Thanks,
Simon

fourarmed
03-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the board. If this is a Contender barrel, I would try the RCBS 165 grain silhouette bullet first. This one is available from custom casters, but you wouldn't have to cast many to pay for the mold. I have used it in a .32-20 Contender barrel, and it is very accurate.

Bullshop
03-01-2006, 04:12 PM
220 Egan
BIC/BS

Bass Ackward
03-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Does anyone have a recomendation for a cast bullet for a 13.75" 300 whisper barrel (1-10 twist)? This is for silhouette shooting.

Thanks,
Simon

Simon,

I would say that anything over 165 grains and the trade off is too low of velocity. But if it has been throated out some, then you have more options.

So how long is the throat in that one?

redneckdan
03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
the idea behind the whisper is heavy ass bullets at subsonic velocities. what type of load are you looking to run..

versifier
03-01-2006, 10:33 PM
As heavy as you can go, that's what it was designed for. Start with 165's, I would think 180's or 200's would do you, but if heavier will stabilize, why not? COTW lists weights up to 250 and suggests you check the SSK website for data. It's probably for jacketed, but at those weights and slow velocities, it is a realistic starting point for the heavies. I bet you can order a selection in different weights from Bullshop to see what your barrel shoots best. Do you me to post a list of the COTW loads?

simonbos
03-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a copy of COTW...didn't think to look in there!
From some of the other sources I have seen it looks like < 220gr will work in a 1-10 barrel at sub-sonic velocities. There appears to be advantages to keeping the velocity down and the weight up; it seems that the terminal velocity and drift are better that way.
I checked the Bullshop site and didn't see any specific bullets listed...maybe I missed something.

Thanks,
Simon

Dale53
03-02-2006, 12:15 PM
We use too many abreviations (me included). What is COTW?

Dale53

Bullshop
03-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Simonbos
On my home page there is a link to links, and from there there is a link to auctions. There you will find pic's on each boolit auction. Remember some auctions are down at times due to expired dates but always get relisted the next day. Any questions, I am easy to find. If I'm not making boolits I'm here.
Dale53
Cartridges Of The World
BIC/BS

Scrounger
03-02-2006, 12:59 PM

Dale53

Dale, I think that may have a typographical error in it. Closest I can come is CWOT which translates into "Complete Waste Of Time". This from a list at AcronymsOnLine.com. For some reason I can't link to that site, so, with apologies to everyone for the length of this post, I will paste the list in here. I expect it will be of interest to others as well:

Acronym Meaning
2U2 to you, too
AAMOF as a matter of fact
AFAIK as far as I know
AFAIC As far as I'm concerned
AFAICT As far as I can tell
AFK away from keyboard
AFU all f__ked up
AMF Adios, motherf__ker!
AOL Army Of Lamers
ASAP as soon as possible
ASL age, sex, location
BBIAB be back in a bit
BBL be back later
BCNUL8R be see'n you later
BITMT but in the meantime
BOT back on topic
BRB be right back
BTW by the way
BYORL bring your own rocket launcher
C4N ciao for now
CFD call for discussion
CFV call for vote
CRS can't remember sh_t
CU see you
CUCME see you see me (video conference program)
CUL8R see you later
CWOT complete waste of time
CYA see ya / cover your ass
DAMIFINO damn if I know
DILLIGAF? Do I look like I give a f__k?
DIY do it yourself
DWL Dying With Laughter
EMFJI excuse me for jumping in
EOD end of discussion
EOT end of transmission
F2F face to face / flesh to flesh
FAI frequently argued issue
FAQ frequently asked questions
FBOW for better or worse
FOAD f__k off and die
FOAF friend of a friend
FOCL falling off chair laughing
FUBAB f__ked up beyond all belief
***** f__ked up beyond all reason / recognition / repair
FWIW for what it's worth
FYA for your amusement
FYI for your information
FYIV f__k you, I'm vested
FYYSOS f__k you, you sack of sh_t
GAL get a life
GBTW get back to work
GFC going for coffee
GFETE grinning from ear to ear
GJIAGDVYFCN go jump in a god-damn volcano, you f__king cave newt
GLLA great lovers love alike
GMTA great minds think alike
GR&D grinning, running & ducking
GRMBL grumble
GTG got to go
HAB hot Asian babe
HAND have a nice day
HHOK ha ha only kidding
HTH hope this helps
IAC in any case
IAE in any event
IC I see
IDGI I don't get it
IIRC if I remember correctly
IMCO in my considered opinion
IMHO in my humble opinion
IMNSHO in my not so humble opinion
IMO in my opinion
IMPE in my previous/personal experience
IMVHO in my very humble opinion
IOTTMCO intuitively obvious to the most casual observer
IOW in other words
IRL in real life
IYKWIM if you know what I mean
IYSWIM if you see what I mean
JIC just in case
J/K just kidding
JPYL just pulling your leg
JYYC just yanking your chain
KISS keep it simple stupid
LAGNAF Let's all get naked and f__k!
LMAO laughing my ass off
LMK let me know
LOL laughing out loud
LTNS long time no see
LTNT long time no talk
MfG Mit freundlichen Gruessen
MTCW my two cents worth
NAP not a problem
NC no comment
NP no problem
NRN no reply necessary
ONNA oh no, not again!
OOTC obligatory on-topic content
OTOH on the other hand
P911 parent (emergency) is watching
PAW parents are watching
PCMCIA people can't memorize computer industry acronyms
PITA pain in the ass
PLS please
PMFJI pardon me for jumping in
PMP peeing my pants
POETS piss on everyone tomorrows saturday
REHI hello again / re-Hi
RO(T)FL rolling on the floor laughing
ROFLMAO rolling on the floor laughing my ass off
RSN real soon now
RTDox read the documentations
RTFM read the f__king manual
SAPFU Surpasses All Previous F__k-Ups
SHTSI somebody had to say it
SNAFU situation normal; all f__ked up
SO significant other
TANSTAAFL there ain't no such thing as a free lunch
TAFN that's all for now
THX thanks
TIA thanks in advance
TLA three letter acronym
TMA too many acronyms
TMFA too many f__king acronyms
TMI too much information
TMK to my knowledge
TOS terms of service
TPTB the powers that be
TSWC tell someone who cares
TTBOMK to the best of my knowledge
TTFN ta-ta for now
TTWIG that's the way it goes
TTYL8R talk to you later
TWIMC to whom it may concern
URW you are welcome
WB welcome back
WIIWD what it is we do
WILBI wouldn't it be lovely if
WRT with regard to
*** what / who / where the f__k
***RU who the f__k are you
***WT what the f__k was that
WTG way to go
WTMI way too much information
WWDWIIWD when we do what it is we do
WYSITWIRL what you see is totally worthless in real life
WYSIWYG what you see is what you get
YA yet another
YABA yet another bloody acronym
YAFIYGI you ask for it, you get it
YGIAGAM your guess is as good as mine
YGWYPF you get what you pay for
YMMV your mileage may vary
YW you're welcome

I'll add a couple:
ASJ Another Sheep Joke
DCA Damn! Cats Again

simonbos
03-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Dale,
thanks for the link. I placed a few orders. Are there options on diameters? The .303 bullets I ordered are going to be used in a .313 bore 91/30 Nagant. The other 308s are for the whisper.

Cheers,
Simon

45 2.1
03-02-2006, 01:50 PM

Dale53

Cartridges of the World

floodgate
03-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Dale:

As noted by several of the gang, "COTW" refers to the late Frank Barnes' "Cartridges of the World", first published by the Gun Digest folks in 1965 and currently in its tenth edition (2003), updated by Stan Skinner and available from Krause Publicatuions, www.krause.com

It is the BEST one-volume reference for cartridge identification, history, dimensions, sample loads, and sources of brass for odd-ball ones - also a few choice anecdotes. Not perfect - there are a very few omissions, and a VERY few errors - but Barnes said it best in the Foreword to an early edition: "If you were travelling to Mars or some other planet by rocket ship, and could carry only one book on cartridges, we sincerely hope it would be this one." I agree. It should be on every reloader's and gun-nut's bookshelf, alongside the latest Lyman Reloading and Cast Bullet manuals, and the Lee 2nd and Speer 13th Edition handbooks, as a minimum. If you are an experimenter, I would add the new second edition, just out, of Donnelly's "Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions", www.stoegerpublishing.com.

No, I am not employed by any of the above firms, but I do refer to at least one of them daily.

floodgate

JSH
03-02-2006, 08:33 PM

Thanks,
Simon

Simon welcome. I am pretty much a newby to casting but have jumped right in feet first.
I do have a bit of experiance with the 300x221 aka 300 Whisper. I bought a 30-20 barrel and it was so close and had a rime I traded the whisper off. I don't recall the exact load but it was AA#9 behind a 190 Sierra. Anything much heavier or longer wouldn't fly well for me. I fooled around with trying to shoot subsonic loads, I got pretty discouraged at my results. The barrel shot better with a standard load. Your milage may vary if this is a custom barrel too.
I am like fourarmed and use the RCBS 165 grain sillhouette bullet. I have also used the RG-4 that is dropping about 200 from my alloy. It shoots fairly well to, though I don't use it much. I have some of the GB 155's loaded up and ready to play and see how they work.
As to load data I myself pretty much am right back to where I was with FLGC stuff.
Jeff

Greg
03-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Simon

I shoot my Whisper a 10" Contender...so your results might very. Remington (221 fireball) brass is used in all loads listed.

RCBS 30-150 FN cast of air cooled wheel weights; Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers; 18.3 grains, Winchester 680; 1.930 oal...2063 fps at 30º 1¾" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. these RCBS 30-150 FN 's weigh 168 grains.

Lyman 311679 cast of heat treated wheel weights; Remington 7½ Small Rifle primers;
14.5 grains, Winchester 680; 2.211 oal...1580 fps at 45º 2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. these 311679's weigh 208 grains.

The RCBS 30-150 FN fits the short neck and throat of the 300 Whisper better than any of the other boolits that I have available. I also tried the Lyman 31141, but it was too long in the driving bands to seat the gas check in the neck and still seat in the throat. The RCBS bullet is: .850" long; it has a .450 driving band length; and .400 bore ride length. The four barrels that I have been able to measure average .311 throat. The RCBS mould drops boolits about .309 and leads slightly because of this.

Reloader 7, IMR 4227, Win 296 / H110 are other great powders to try in the Whisper. SSK Industries, RCBS and Hornady have published loads, a polite request will get you copies. I use starting loads for condom bullets with the slower powders and work for accuracy, always mindful of pressure. Read the articles from Mike Bellm on Contender loading http://www.bellmtcs.com/FAQ/Experiment.htm

I’ve never shot silhouette with the Whisper, so I could only offer opinions...not facts that you asked for.

The Whisper was developed as a suppressed round that would fit a M16 upper for special opps

for the sportsman it is a great round...I shoot mine with real boolits in the Deer woods and practice.

felix
03-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Looks like we have a genuine case/bore size (221/30) for 680/116 powder other than using condoms. Great show, Greg! ... felix

Dale53
03-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Thanks to all who set me straight on "COTW". I have a copy, AND a copy of Donnelly's book as well as Howell's "Custom Cartridges". Can't have too many references.

Dale53

JSH
03-04-2006, 02:53 PM
One thing I might add to this thread. I had my best luck using 222 brass instead of the 221. The 222 brass was just enough thicker that it did a lot better, groups showed it too. No neck turning on this either. Also the shoulder seemed to form better IMHO. You positioned the shoulder rather than blowing it forward and out a bit.
This was in a factory TC chamber, other mfg's should do fine with the 221.
Jeff

HotGuns
03-04-2006, 05:48 PM
I have 2 Whispers. One is the 1in 10 twist Contender Barrel from the custom shop.

The other is an AR-15 top half which has the 1 in 8 twist to stabilize 220 grain bullets.

You can shoot 220's in the Contender as long as you stay supersonic. Go below supersonic and they will hit the target sideways at 50 yards and they'll be all over the paper.

On the other hand, Im using a 220 grain Sierra with 8.2 grains of 4227 for the AR. This load is very accurate and also operates the rifle in the semi auto mode whereas the faster powders do not cycle. The is for suppressed loads moving at 1050 and is very quite with my suppressor.

For brass forming, Ive had the best luck using .223 cases. Cut off at the shoulder and run them theough the sizing die. Its easier to neck down than it is to neck up and there are NO rejects from splt necks being sized up. The .223 brass is cheaper and easier to find.