PDA

View Full Version : anyone else having problems with lee 6 cavitys lately

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2006, 06:02 AM
FIrst i had one of the bd45cm group buys fall apart they replaced it. Then in the last two weeks i had a 9mm 120 rn and a 358 105swc that were junk. Both of them chucked there alignment pins in the first hour of casting and the 9mm mold didnt even have the blocks lined up when they cut it. Ive had good luck with 6 cavity lees in the past and own many of the that have give good service but to get burned on 3 of them in less then 3 months is pretty strange. Has anyone else noticed quality control slipping there.

Cherokee
03-01-2006, 01:44 PM
the 6 cv work fine for me, its the 1 or 2 cv that are flakey some time. The last buy I made for Lee was the 32-114 group buy and it is fine.

TC66
03-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I had a 6 cavity 358*** 158 SWC break on me. Filled it the first time and then on the second time I grapped the handle to cut the sprue and it broke off in my hand. Looking where it broke there appeared to be an air bubble in the metal.

Then I had a few of their "unbreakable" depriming pins snap right off when I was depriming crimped LC brass. Called them and they said they should not break and sent me a new one then it snapped off again within 100 rounds. Went with RCBS sizing and depriming die. Solved the problem.

In my opinion the quality is going down.

David R
03-01-2006, 07:10 PM
My last or next to last group buy 6 banger had the front alignment pin fall out. I put it back in twice, then used RED 271 Locktite and it has stayed there since.

David

Lloyd Smale
03-02-2006, 07:17 AM
hell i thought i was the only one to break there unbreakable decapping pins. At least they made it sound that way when they sent the new one.
I had a 6 cavity 358*** 158 SWC break on me. Filled it the first time and then on the second time I grapped the handle to cut the sprue and it broke off in my hand. Looking where it broke there appeared to be an air bubble in the metal.

Then I had a few of their "unbreakable" depriming pins snap right off when I was depriming crimped LC brass. Called them and they said they should not break and sent me a new one then it snapped off again within 100 rounds. Went with RCBS sizing and depriming die. Solved the problem.

In my opinion the quality is going down.

TC66
03-02-2006, 11:28 AM
No Lloyd I am sorry to say you do not have that honor all to your self. I have broken 2 then quit using Lee dies and have not broken one since I moved to RCBS.

redneckdan
03-02-2006, 11:32 AM
i blew one on the fourth primer I popped ot with the new speed die, wasn't even crimped. I have since gone to aold school rcbs flair/deprime die and have no problems.

robertbank
03-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Had one break on my .45Colt die. Seems like they should tkae the Un out of unbreakable!

Stay Safe