PDA

View Full Version : Amount of crimp for rifle loads?

Nora
05-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Has anyone played around with the amount of crimp verses accuracy? Say a batch with no crimp, .003 and then .005. How would the boolit tension / internal pressure effect the end product on paper. Or would it make no difference at all, with the exception of to much would ruin the boolit. I'm thinking about trying it for fun but if someone else already has, I'd take what info they have to offer and save the primers.

Thanks in advance

Nora :coffee:

anachronism
05-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I use a crimp die, but don't really crimp my cases on cast rifle loads. I need the crimp die to straighten my case necks because I use an "M" die to flare my cases, & feel I should remove all traces of the flaring. My method will probably seem silly to some, I just screw the crimp die down over my loaded case until I can't tighten it down by hand anymore without tools. And I'm done. It seems to be all I need.

I pretty much do the same thing with taper dies for handguns, too. Revolver ammo gets normal full crimps.

John Boy
05-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Nora, shooting many many hundreds of BPCR reloads, have found it depends on the throat of the rifle and the bullet.
Generally though, I've evidenced that the following produces the better groups:
*** Bullet seated out into the leade of the bore
*** Crimp only to remove the bell
*** Bullet finger seated
*** 0.001 to 0.002 case neck tension
Sorry, but I have run not comparison tests: no crimp v varying degrees

felix
05-08-2009, 09:37 PM
JohnBoy is correct. However, the best load will not be found until the proper ignition of the load is met, and then finally dialed to the best it can be by using JB's described parameters above. The best clue to finding that load is by varying powder type and amount until at least ONE PERCENT variation in amount makes absolutely no difference in group size. Then play around using JB's parameters to HALVE that group size. For single shot applications only! ... felix

Nora
05-08-2009, 11:39 PM
*** Bullet finger seated

I'm not familiar with this term, what are you referring to?

Thanks

Nora

felix
05-09-2009, 03:58 AM
No die is needed to push the boolit into the case neck. ... felix