PDA

View Full Version : 45 L C load

SWANEEDB
05-08-2009, 04:58 PM
:Fire:Am getting ready to load 45 LC using American Pioneer powder, 250 gr RFN bullet, where should I start out. ANY help would be great, Thanks, Dave

Onlymenotu
05-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Look here (http://www.americanpioneerpowder.com/loading.html) they say by weight.... most black powder or sub is done by volume

edit read closely as they list one by weight and one by volume.......

RayinNH
05-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Dave, the instructions on the web site say to fill to the base of the boolit and allow for one sixteenth inch of compression. Black powder and substitutes should never have an air space between powder and boolit...Ray

Grapeshot
05-10-2009, 05:37 PM
APP is OK for a sub, but in my experience it is a bit weak. I,ve used it in the bast and now use Pinacle. I'll probably go back to APP since GOEX has been absorbed by Hogden and Pinacle is going to be dropped.

When I used APP, and that was for a three year period, My .45 Colt load was 2.5cc's of APP, #3fg and a Variety of 250 grain Bullets. I used the Remington swaged 255 gr. conical. my RCBS 250 gr. Round nose, the Lee 250 gr. RNFP and the Lyman Cowboy 250 gr. RNFP. You should start out using the Lee 1.9 dipper and go up from there. You could go by APP's literature and use no lube or you can use any of the smokeless lubes on the market to include Lee's Liquid Alox.

I suggest that you use Large Magnum Pistol Primers as APP is hard to ignite sometimes. I opened the flash hole to 3/32nds of an inch and my ignition problems went away. I used CCI #350 LPM primers and Winchester LP primers after that with no complaints.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
When loading with BP or a Sub all the data I am aware of calls for no air space with slight compression. Not sure about APP but all BP and most Subs recommend using a bullet that has been lubed with a lube intended for BP, also check the powder can because most Subs require that they be loaded with static safe funnels and measurers.
ASAP get your hands on some real BP. None of the subs come even close to real BP, in fact the only reason subs exist is to cater to the gun control freaks, who think BP is more dangerous. Also BP ignites much better then subs, so no need for opening up the flash holes (which is highly DANGEROUS and not recommended.) Not sure if you are into casting yet, but if you ever do get into casting check out Lyman's 454190 bullet mold. These are the best for BP, Subs, and smokeless. In fact one reason I got into casting was to cast these bullets for my 45LCs to use with BP. Hope that helps and have fun.

cajun shooter
06-20-2009, 12:16 AM
APP is more corrosive than real BP. Goex Pinnacle was made by APP. The Lyman 454190 is the original bullet design of the 45 Colt. The current one made by Lyman does not carry enough lube for rifle shooting but it will work fine for revolvers. The subs will shoot with any lube and do not need a BP lube. If you shoot BP with a smokeless lube you will have a black tar mess in your barrel. One of the selling points of the subs is that They require no special lube. Magnum primers are a good call regardless of the powder type. Mike Venturino did a lot of testing on this matter and advises the use of the magnum primer. Later David

Jon K
06-20-2009, 09:21 AM
APP 30.5 gr/255 gr RNFP/.030 veggie wad/WLP .

Sad to hear Pinnacle is being dropped, I like it better than APP, if you're going to use subs cause BP is better than any sub. I like Swiss 3F in the pistol cases.

Jon

Dale53
06-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I have shot a serious amount of .45 Colt Black Powder cartridges with both Pyrodex P (won several pounds in a match) and black powder. Both can work quite well. I used the Lyman 452664 bullet (shoots exactly to sights at 25 yards in my Bisley Vaquero). It has a good, large grease groove that carries plenty of black powder lube for revolvers.

Mike Venturinos book, "Shooting Colt Single Actions", has a very complete section on shooting black powder in a variety of calibers. I used this to get started with Black Powder Cartridge revolvers, several years ago, and found his information to be SPOT ON. I won a number of matches with my Ruger Vaquero and Bisley Vaquero, including a number of score matches.

You can buy it directly from him at:

http://www.mlventerprises.com/Coltbook.htm

Dale53