PDA

View Full Version : Off Center Hollowpoint

chickenstripe
05-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I dont have any HP molds, but wanted to try some. SO I loaded some cartridges with boolits, and used my brass trimmer, with a drill bit the size of the pilot holder diameter (0.152) and made some hollowpoints 0.100 deep.

Some are obviously offcenter, which should effect accuracy.

Anyone out there try this?

I was thinking of making a jig to align a drill bit of choice to the center-line of the boolit. Anyone try this?

dubber123
05-08-2009, 12:46 PM
I think Forster makes hollow pointing tools. I'm not sure how they work, but from all I have read they work well, and are pretty inexpensive. I have heard people claim it's actually faster than casting them.

fredj338
05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Sure, but unless you get the HP dead center, accuracy will be pretty poor for anything but 7yd shooting. A HP mold is really the best route. You can buy one from Lymna, but you are limited to bullet & HP design. The other option is find a mold you like & have Erik @ HPMS make you what ever HP style you want. The faceted one in my pic was an idea we had, seems to work better than either of us thought.

beagle
05-08-2009, 02:12 PM
It's been my experience with the Forster HP rig that they would turn out slightly off center most of the time. Maybe I'm a dumb ass but I can never get them centered to suit my taste.

I cast my HPs and then when sizing, I use what I call a "nosepicker" TP as it removes any boogers left in the cavity.

These are easily made. I turn them on my DP using a file as a cutting tool. Make a shank to fit the sizer. Then turn a pin on it long enough to extend down into the cavity but a tad larger than the cavity. This will accomplish two things, it will straighten and make the cavity perfectly round and at the same time centers the bullet in the sizing die.

Works well for me./beagle

azrednek
05-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Like Fred said, short range only if you don't want to throw them back into the lead pot. I did fairly well out to 15 yards with some 45's I drilled off center. Any further out apx 50% keyholed on me. Don't know if the link is correct. He can make a hollow point out of most molds except Lee for a reasonable cost. http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

LAH
05-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I was thinking of making a jig to align a drill bit of choice to the center-line of the boolit.

Personally I believe this is better (easier/faster) than casting. Just my 2.

Larry Gibson
05-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I both cast HPs and use the forster toll. I've not had any problem getting centered HPs with the Forster and the HP'd bullets shoot as accurate to 200 yards as when not HP'd. The trick is to hold the jig over the nose and and press the drill against the bullet nose before tightening the case holder. I then continue to hold the jig tightly against the bullet nose while drilling the HP. Sounds a lot harder to do than it is.

I find the Forster tool quite versitile giving the option of HPing most any cast bullet without having to have a special HP mold for every bullet.

Larry Gibson

Leftoverdj
05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
There's a simple drill press method. Clamp a scrap board to the table. Chuck the desired bit, and drill a hole. Remove and reverse the bit, epoxy it in the hole it just drilled. After hardening, chuck the bullets and drill.

gwalchmai
05-11-2009, 09:28 PM
What if you drill a hole in the scrap to fit a shell holder, then use that to hold a loaded round for drilling your HP?

Leftoverdj
05-11-2009, 09:40 PM
What if you drill a hole in the scrap to fit a shell holder, then use that to hold a loaded round for drilling your HP?

Too much wobble.

geargnasher
05-11-2009, 09:41 PM

If I understand you correctly, what you are suggesting would defeat the point of the drill press. The object is to spin the loaded round (thus achieving minimal radial runout) and apply the nose of the boolit to a fixed bit. I have done this with my 30-30 with very good results with a custom-pointed bit that just made a funnel shape of about 12 degrees and left a shoulder on the bit so I could precisely duplicate the depth and keep weight consistent. Made a special collet out of hardwood wedges and rubber bands to compensate for rim and case taper when chucking cartridge. Also checked runout in the middle of the meplat with a dial indicator before cutting.

Gear

geargnasher
05-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey! just gave myself an idea, anyone try hollowpointing by using the Lee hand case trimmer base ( the one that locks down on the case rim and has a hexagonal peg on the back suitable for drill chucks) to hold a cartridge in a drill press???

Maybe I'll try this next time I have a few minutes.......I'll kick my own butt if this works better than my homade maple collet[smilie=b:

Gear

chickenstripe
05-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Looks like I have a few new methods to try. :drinks:

Jeff H
05-12-2009, 11:03 PM
.....I was thinking of making a jig to align a drill bit of choice to the center-line of the boolit. Anyone try this?

About 35 years ago, my Dad did the same thing with a Wilson case trimmer and a center drill. As a long-time tool and die guy, his work was meticulous and I never noticed any eccentricity on any I ran through it. I HP'd a good many Speer .30 110 gr. "Plinkers" for my Savage 24V 30-30 with that thing and never saw any type of reduced accuracy from it. I have stuck with the Wilson case trimmer myself, as the shell holders always seemed to keep the case centered and straight. This worked out well for HP'ing because the shell holder is like a section cut from a chamber in a barrel. Keeps things lined up nicely.

Jeff H