PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450

odinohi
05-08-2009, 03:33 AM
I would like to start gathering up equipment to start casting bullets. I have a chance to buy a Lyman 450 sizer and luber w/ a 38/357 die for 80.00. Is this worth the price? I also have a few other dies that I got in a trade. I dont really have the money right now to buy this, but if its a good buy I can get it. I would be casting for the 357mag, 44mag, and 32-20. Any advice is welcome. Thanks, Tom

stubshaft
05-08-2009, 03:55 AM
I've been using the same 450 for over 25 years. The only weak point I have had problems with is the handle link (replaced twice). Depending on your needs another item you can look into is the Lee sizing system. They are cheap, easy to use and fully adequate for tumble lubing pistol bullets.

RayinNH
05-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Tom, it's a fair price when compared to the cost of a new 4500. I just got a 450 about three weeks ago for $25.00 with a .357 die in it as well as a top punch. The wrench and dust cap on top was missing, no big deal. Since I already had a 450 I could afford to wait, but I have wanted a second for black powder lube. The urgency of need will determine how much you are willing to pay...Ray

monadnock#5
05-08-2009, 09:19 PM
$25.00 for a 450, even with a couple of missing parts is an exceptional deal. At $80.00 it's still a good deal. I'd try to split the difference if the current owner is someone you can haggle with. There's a long learning curve associated with the 450, but it gets the job done. If the unit doesn't come with a manual, get one from Lyman. Don't try to figure it out on your own.

mtgrs737
05-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I just got one from another member here for $80 shipped. The only thing it is missing is the wrench and I have two others I can borrow from until I get to a gunshow and pick one up. The wrench maker is Chapman and they are available as are most other parts. I plan on setting one up for Carnuba Red and one up for Speed Green the last one will be in BAC.

Tippet
05-09-2009, 04:32 AM
I just acqired a 450, I was reading in the instructions that came with a mold how to use it. Mine is missing the wrench, but is there any reason not to just use a socket on there?

DLCTEX
05-09-2009, 06:36 AM
A socket wrench will work, just don't over power the threads on the pressure screw.

mooman76
05-09-2009, 11:19 AM
It's not a bad buy in fact it is a good buy but not great. If you don't really have the $ I would pass and look for one later on. I got one on Fleebay a few years ago for $105. Soulds like a lot but it came with 5 sizing dies and 5 top punches plus several 4 of lube. A lot of sizing dies and top punches can add up quick. To my delight it came in the original box with everything and looked barely used at all.

GP100man
05-09-2009, 05:36 PM
as ammo $$ goes up more people are castin & reloading , so prices are bound to go up on components & tools .
i`d snag it while i had the chance.
& WELCOME to :cbpour:

GP100man:castmine:

Dan Cash
05-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I just acqired a 450, I was reading in the instructions that came with a mold how to use it. Mine is missing the wrench, but is there any reason not to just use a socket on there?

I prefer to use a small box end wrench with my 450. When the bullet is in the die, I give a slight pull on the wrench to apply pressure then reverse to relieve pressure. It keeps my soft lube from bleeding under the bullet.

Tippet
05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
ah thanks for that

Recluse
05-10-2009, 02:07 AM
A socket wrench will work, just don't over power the threads on the pressure screw.

I use a nut driver on my Lyman 45. That keeps me from overpowering the threads, plus no handle on the socket to get in the way of the lubesizer handle. Best of all, I get a better "feel" for the amount of pressure needed.

$80 isn't a great deal, not a bad deal, just as someone else said, it's a fair deal.

If funds are tight, I'd go with the Lee sizer system. You sacrifice NOTHING in quality and reliability. Nothing easier to use. You simply tumble-lube (or pan lube) and size.

:coffee:

Tippet
05-10-2009, 02:19 AM
I like the idea of seating gas-checks whilst lubing

gefiltephish
05-10-2009, 06:15 AM
I prefer to use a small box end wrench with my 450. When the bullet is in the die, I give a slight pull on the wrench to apply pressure then reverse to relieve pressure. It keeps my soft lube from bleeding under the bullet.

Wow! This falls under the "why the heck didn't I think of that?" category. I'm tryin' it this morning... The simplest solutions are always the best!

monadnock#5
05-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Two things: 1) The box end wrench is a fine idea, I wouldn't hesitate to use one on my 450. If I did it would be a 6 point though. A 12 point just doesn't have the contact area needed to get get things moving on a snow day. The hex head on the pressure screw isn't one of the beefier parts of the system. 2) If you don't already have a gunsmiths screw driver set, the Chapman Co. offers a fine little kit that's just the right size for the range bag and comes with the ratchet tool that fits the 450.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/chapman/chaguns.html

Gee_Wizz01
05-10-2009, 07:08 PM
I bought a Craftsman ratcheting box end wrench to use when my original wrench broke. It works great and its guaranteed for life. I bought it several years ago and I believe it was about $7.00.

G

RayinNH
05-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I use a Craftsman ratcheting wrench also...Ray

WHITETAIL
05-17-2009, 07:51 AM
odinohi, Welcome to the forum!:brokenima