PDA

View Full Version : lube groove question?

M1-30 cal
05-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Hello all, this is my first post but since the more time I spend here the less I seem to know it won't be my last! I have noticed that some boolits have lots of lube grooves some almost 3/4 of the length of the boolit while another boolit of the same caliber and weight has only 2 or 3 larger grooves is there a reason behind this?

geargnasher
05-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Not sure if you are asking about the difference between Lee tumble-lube boolits and "normal" boolits of same caliber and weight because most boolit moulds of the same weight and caliber have about the same number of grooves with a few exceptions, doesn't seem to be the rule though. Maybe someone else could shed some light on the "general" philosophy behind size and number of grooves.

Just a thought, beware of a certain moderator on this site who may try to sell/trade you for his "loob grooves", he has quite a large inventory of extras I understand[smilie=1:

Gear

mooman76
05-07-2009, 10:07 PM
There are many different designed bullets all with the intent of being the best or at least a better bullet. Some work better in some guns than others. Some are based on theories or ideas rather than facts. I thin you may be referring to the Loveren (not sure of the spelling)style Bullet which has lots of lube grooves almost the entire length of the bullet which gives you more options as to seating depth and more lube grooves for a longer barrel. Some bullets are desined for maximum accuracy or like SWCs or WC for target shooting leaving neat holes in the paper. That answers you question a little but I am far from the expert on bullet designs and I'm sure someone elsemor knowledgable will chime in and give a better answer to your question.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Lube rings in the design of bullets are usually in the section of the bullet called the bullet body or bearing surface. This part of the bullet is supposed to ride in the grooves of the bore. The idea generally is that the longer the bearing surface is...the less likely the bullet is to tilt when going down the tube. Also multiple rings carry more lube which is sometimes necessary to have. Of course more rings mean that they cannot be fully contained within the case...especially where bottle-neck cases are involved---so a main complaint is that the exposed lube will be prone to picking up dust and dirt. The legendary designer of this type of bullet was named Guy Loverin and several of his bullets still are popular to this day. A fact of life encountered in casting this type of bullet is that they they are more difficult to cast especially in smaller calibers; rings are sometimes hard to fill out, and if you have any kind of contaminant present in the alloy---especially a trace of zinc, there will be a lot of cussing going on. Bullets having shorter bullet bodies and longer noses work better in bores that have smaller grooves and broader lands. The noses ride on tops of the lands and the bullets are called "boreriders". Such a condition is found in the 03-A3 two groove barrels and the Enfield and M1917 rifles which have 5 groove rifling. The bullets with longer bodies and more rings are the opposite...they like skinnier lands and wider grooves (that they more easily fill), such as in the Springfield or Garand barrels. There are of course a lot of other factors that come into play in the course of determining bullet design; shapes of noses, meplats, wadcutters, semi-wadcutter,aerodynamics,weight and sectional density. etc, but for the moment the general question was the lube rings and the length of bearing surface and functions related thereto. And then there is always the subject of rifling and twist which is a study all by itself. Hope that this has helped clear up a few points for you. Good shooting/luck. LLS

runfiverun
05-08-2009, 01:01 AM
the loverins also help fill a longer throat,
are usually tapered some, to fill the bbl more and have less bore riding section,
they seem to do well at higher velocities.
they have the bad side in that they don't fit tight throats well and re then pushed into the neck/case further.
they do give you the option of having the throat cut to fit them though.

303Guy
05-08-2009, 03:39 AM
This is what my cast bullets look like.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-357F_edited.jpg

This is the result. (I was shaking some, at the time of firing).

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-457F_edited.jpg

BUT.... this was at only 50yds. However, there was no apparent leading after 7 shots and this is what the muzzle looked like.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-453F_edited.jpg

This is what the loaded round looked like - sort of.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-338F_edited.jpg

I have changed my lube a bit and have a lighter bullet to test (200gr).

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-722F.jpg

Wayne Smith
05-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Also factor in the fact that, prior to Alox, lubes were not as efficient and more was needed. Most of the designs you are referencing predate Alox. I believe all of Guy Louverin's do.

Larry Gibson
05-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Also factor in the fact that, prior to Alox, lubes were not as efficient and more was needed. Most of the designs you are referencing predate Alox. I believe all of Guy Louverin's do.

BINGO!!!! This is the reason.

Larry Gibson

M1-30 cal
05-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for your council. The boolits I was referencing were lovern style and one from Lee that has a Silloute symbol beside it in 7mm. with a long nose and wide grooves at the base.I am contemplating getting a mold and casting for my m95 Chilean mauser to shoot in CMP vintage matches

jdgabbard
05-08-2009, 03:40 PM
303 guy, what kinda lube you using there on that straight wall'd boolit???

303Guy
05-08-2009, 05:11 PM
303 guy, what kinda lube you using there on that straight wall'd boolit??? It's a mix of parafin wax, Alox and STP type oil additive. It can actually be used like that through the rifle magazine, although it does get a bit nicked. That test 'group' would have been with a muzzle velocity close to 1900fps with 220gr bullets on top of Varget/AR2208. The bullets are tapered and fit the throat very closely, making them oversize for the bore. On chambering, the leade impresses into the lube. I lube the loaded cases and bullet with STP type and this ensures that the lube does not get wiped off or smeared in the chamber or throat.