PDA

View Full Version : "Germans"

joeb33050
05-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Sam Anderson called these "germans", little screws that interfere with big screws. Turned to the correct position, the little screw allows the big screw to be unscrewed. At another position, with the big screw in the correct position, the little screw locks the big screw. The germans on this rifle don't line up to lock when the big screws are tight.

I'm realizing that I don't know what germans are supposed to do. Anybody out there know?

Thanks;
joe b.

Calamity Jake
05-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Looks like you need another half turn on the big German, eather shim out or inlet deeper the floor plate to get than half turn, or try a different big German.

Another thought, the big german could be bottoming out in the action, you might try shortening it a little.

StarMetal
05-07-2009, 11:28 AM
They were a failsafe to prevent the action screws from coming lose and falling out. Once the action screws don't tension up the action so as their notch isn't in the correct locking position of the lock screw (such as yours) they are useless.

Joe

atr
05-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Star Metal has it !

BABore
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Us American's came up with a replacement. It's called Loc-tite.:-D

markinalpine
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
...(pun intended) with the original parts, I would find replacement screws and notch the larger one after trying it for fit. You could use white-out type of correction fluid, if they even sell the stuff anymore, to coat the top of the larger screw, and driving the smaller screw in would show you where to file the edge with an appropriate diameter round file. The white-out is easily removed with acetone.
Keep the original parts so the weapon can be restored to its "original condition" for future sale to anyone anal enough to want it.

Mark
ps, I just plugged your Cast Bullets book somewhere else on this forum. One of the best references available [smilie=s:

The Double D
05-07-2009, 12:18 PM
When they don't line up any more usually means the threads are worn or stretched or the wood under the fixture they hold has become compressed.

Lots of different fixes. Bedding under the fixture. Replacing. Filing the head and shaft to get another turn. Peining the bottom of the head to take upslack. Spacers (washers) filed to fit

big boar
05-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Markinalpine, what cast bullet book are you refering to?

markinalpine
05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
...at http://www.lasc.us/, and more specifically at : http://www.lasc.us/IndexBrennan.htm
You can also download it in Word format, but it's HUGE, and I find it easiest to read chapter by chapter from the LASC, Los Angeles Silhouette Club's site.
It was written/edited by joeb33050

Lot's of good info :coffee:

Mark :castmine: