PDA

View Full Version : Which custom mold maker

softpoint
05-06-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm thinking of getting a custom mold or two cut. One will probably be a heavyweight .35 cal. Where to go? Of the makers I'm aware of ,there is Old West, NEI, Mountain Molds, LBT, I'm sure there are others. Cost? Turnaround time? Quality? Your experience with mold makers,and advice:-D:drinks:

stubshaft
05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
I have moulds from all of the manufacturers that you have listed. FWIW - I just ordered a mould from mountain molds 2 weeks ago. You design what you want, order it and get it in a reasonable time and for a reasonable price.

happy7
05-06-2009, 10:36 PM
+1 for Mountain molds. He will not make round nose designs, and the most you can get is 3 cavities. But there is no setup fee and so he will be the cheapest by far and also more than likely the quickest and I have never had myself or heard from others a complaint about the quality.

05-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I got tired of buying regular production molds that didn't cast the type and diameter bullets I wanted (a big waste of time and money in many cases). So I looked around and settled on Mountain Molds.
Currently have 6 MM molds. Turnaround time varies but has ranged between 4-12 weeks. If you do your homework and study and pay attention to the DETAILS the MM online design program is the bees knees! Every MM mold I have drops superb bullets of the right design and dimensions.

Bret4207
05-07-2009, 07:24 AM
If I ever get the money for my custom 32-20 boolit it'll be Mountain Molds cutting it.

softpoint
05-07-2009, 08:03 AM
So far I see it's Mountain Molds unanimously. Do they make molds of different materials? I'm fine with aluminum, but I had thought about brass. I've never owned a brass mold.

cajun shooter
05-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Let me add add Hoch Molds. Dave Farmer is a master at making molds. He is located in Roswell,NM and if you want his web site go by Colorado Shooter's Supply. I had two molds made by him after becoming fed up with Lee's Service. He does a lathe bored mold so you have no cherry cost. His molds in three cavity pistol with handles run around $230. They are true pieces of art. He is one nice guy to do business with and my time was about 45 days. His numbers are Shop- 575-627-1933 H- 575-627-6156

C A Plater
05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
So far I see it's Mountain Molds unanimously. Do they make molds of different materials? I'm fine with aluminum, but I had thought about brass. I've never owned a brass mold.

The last one I had done was out of brass. I believe iron is available too. I like the way brass heats up quickly and is easy for me to maintain a good casting temperature and turn out pretty shiny boolits. Play with the design software and you will see the material options. You will find it useful to take screen shots of your designs for future reference because there is no save function yet.