PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of ditching 38/357

Brother_Love
05-06-2009, 08:25 AM
I am thinking of getting rid of all my 38/357 stuff. I do not even own a 357 anymore. I got a model 60 S&W as a carry piece but I do reload for it. My other carry gun is an S&W M&P 40 and I shoot 44 spl/mag for target shooting.

I have bullets, molds, dies, brass and other stuff. My question, should I just push it to the back of the reloading bench just in case or sell it? I purchased a Model 19 about 7 months ago, kept it 3 months never shot it and sold it. I don't think I will get another 357 (famous last words, huh?)

I am thinking of what I could buy with the money!!!!Malcolm

Rockchucker
05-06-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm interested in the dies if you decide to sell.

cheese1566
05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Keep it!!

A year and half ago when brass recyclers were paying top dollar, I recycled 3 five gallon bucket fulls of odd range brass I accumlulated over the years. One bucket was 9mm "junk" consisting odd makers, foriegn, and military. I withheld a 50 cal ammo can full for my use.

Another was full of 223. :sad: I sold the rifle years before and thought I would never get another. Just before the election, I was able to get another AR-15 M4.

I wish had all of the brass now!!!

Good thing I kept my dies and primers!

monadnock#5
05-06-2009, 08:57 AM
The real question isn't what amount of money you'll make by selling the stuff. What you should do is take a guess on what it will cost to replace that gear several years down the road. Please don't ask why I make that suggestion. Suffice it to say, IMHO, you should store the stuff a while longer.

Calamity Jake
05-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Just send it all to me, I will hold it for you. When you want it back just PM me, I will send it back. :bigsmyl2: :bigsmyl2:

timkelley
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Put it on the back of the shelf and leave it, you will need it again.

Trey45
05-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Keep it! There is no such thing as too many dies, moulds, brass, etc. Trust me, you will eventually get another 38/357 and kick yourself for not keeping your reloading gear for it. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. A master enabler told me this, right Ken??

Tom Herman
05-06-2009, 09:36 AM
You'll never know when you want to cast & load, or need to for that caliber.
I love big bore revolvers, but am set up for .38 SPL/.357 magnum simply because it's fun and there are so many guns in those calibers out there.
Casting and reloading equiopment and loaded ammo in those calibers are like money in the bank.
If the SHTF, you're good to go. There's nothing worse than backing yourself into a corner you can't get out of.
With my casting setup, and reloading dies, I'm only a few hours away from producing whatever I need...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Down South
05-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Keep it!!!!!!! Unless you need the money real bad I think you should keep it. Been there done that before. I’ve got stuff for calibers that I don’t have anymore. I used to sell or trade stuff off that I didn’t use but it seemed that sooner or later I would wind up buying the same stuff again on down the road. I hardly ever trade or sell a firearm anymore too. Actually I haven’t gotten rid of a firearm in years.

HeavyMetal
05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Last year I took a hard look at my mold storage box and realized I had molds I hadn't used in year or had duplicate's of several molds.

In a case like this a little thinning of the herd is a good thing!

I'll suggest you take a good look at the molds you have decide which ones will do double duty for the 38 and move on from there.

The dies can always work for the special so keep those, as for brass I guess it depends on how much you have and how much storage spacwe you got. For 200 case's I think I'd clean and then vacuum pack in a freezer storage bag for the future.

Same thing with powder most can be used for several different pistol calibers, so keep it unless it's a large amount.

northkid
05-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I would keep it all if I were you, but if you sell the bullets, molds, brass I being new to this I would be interested in these items if you do part with them pending on the type of mold.

Hang Fire
05-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I got rid of my S&W 9mm back in the 80s, but kept the brass. I have since picked up 9mm (as well as all other calibers) brass over the years. The other day I counted the 9mm brass, there is now over 2,000 cases. But, I will not get rid of it or other brass, dies and molds for guns I no longer have, in today's climate of uncertainty, one just never knows.

05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Speaking from personal experience, never sell either a gun or anything reloading related.

Curly James
05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Nah...get rid of it all, it's just cluttering up your reloading bench.........By the way, I'll take the molds off your hands.
Honestly, never sell that stuff, three years from now you'll find a really nice 357 revolver and need it all back. I have regreted every mold I've ever sold at some point and time.

jdgabbard
05-06-2009, 02:58 PM
You'll wish you had it down the line. Keep it.

Gary51
05-06-2009, 04:55 PM
KEEP IT! I own dies and moulds for guns I don't own. I admit some of these items are for guns I have owned and might get another one someday and some are for guns I desire to own and some stuff is for guns I have no interest in but might someday. Clean your stuff up and preserve it for storage so when the bug bites you again you will be able to justify your purchase since you have all the reloading gear.

Firebricker
05-06-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd say keep it or try to trade it for something else. Always good to have some trading stock around. FB

Char-Gar
05-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I have been reloading for 51 years and I still have every set of dies, every loading tool and every bullet mold I purchased to us.

Now, I have had some stuff come my way, that I took on trade which I had no intention of keeping. I consider that stuff "trading stock" and I get rid of it when it is to my advantage to do so.

But my stuff? That I keep! ONe never knows what he will need and when he will need it.

DLCTEX
05-06-2009, 06:34 PM
The surest way for me to come across a gun deal I just can't pass up is to sell the dies, moulds, and brass. Murphy's Law dictates it.

Stray Round
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounds like have a good excu....I mean , need for a little lever action in 357.

geargnasher
05-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Refer to "Gears Gun Rules" #12 posted on a thread somewhere. (if you have 2k rounds of brass or more you have to buy a gun chambered for it +molds and accessories and be casting within a limited amount of time) or you will turn into a toad.:kidding:

Just keep the stuff. It's paid for isn't it? What is it costing you to store? You'll never regret keeping it.

Gear

sargenv
05-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Heck, I had about 500 pieces of 32 SW long brass that I just HAD to get a small revolver for.. I picked up a little S&W model 31-2 before the State of California decided that it was now unsafe to sell/transfer/buy.. Nice little 6 shot J frame. I think I paid $260 for it with the transfer and shipping..

superior
05-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Think of it as an investment.

wdr2
05-06-2009, 11:44 PM
The replacement cost will be high - I know that from experience. I am now trying to replace 357 molds I sold 15 years ago when I convinced myself I would never want to reload 38/357 again. Then I dusted off my 30-year old Python last winter ...

Don't sell!

BIGGUNGOBOOM
05-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Id say keep it. you never know when you might pick up another 357/38 and then you will be wishing that you never got rid of the stuff. its already paid for, they don't cost nothing to feed, just push em to the back and hold on to them