PDA

View Full Version : Old Boolets, Hard Lube

alamogunr
05-05-2009, 10:23 AM
I just bought a .475 Linebaugh that came with several hundred Cast Performance bullets. The bullets seem to be pretty old and the lube has hardened (Probably was too hard to start with) and flaked out of some of the grooves. I plan to use these bullets to work up from very reduced loads to serious loads to accustom myself to the recoil. Can I use them as is or should I boil the lube out and relube? Or maybe just tumble lube over the existing lube in the grooves? Most of the loads will be under 1000fps. Even that will probably be more recoil than I am accustomed to right now. The bullets are 420 gr LBT style. I plan to buy one or two molds once I determine what I want.

John
W.TN

Naphtali
05-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Welcome to my world. When I acquired my first 475, it included several hundred superb WFN PB bullets with varying degrees of blue colored bullet lube remaining.

This forum advised me on several ways to strip the lubricant from its grooves, the easiest being to immerse bullets in water and bring the water to a boil. Lubricant melts and floats to the water's surface. Be sure to NOT have bullets touching bottom of boiling container. This assures you of uniform temperature while assuring you that bullets will not inadvertently overheat.

Hope this helps.

454PB
05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Apply some Lee liquid Alox.

Calamity Jake
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
This forum advised me on several ways to strip the lubricant from its grooves, the easiest being to immerse bullets in water and bring the water to a boil. Lubricant melts and floats to the water's surface. Be sure to NOT have bullets touching bottom of boiling container. This assures you of uniform temperature while assuring you that bullets will not inadvertently overheat.

Hope this helps.

I have always used a oven, I put news paper on an old cookie sheet then boolits and into the oven set a 250-275° in about 20 min the lube has melted and been absorbed by the NP.
Boolits come out dry and ready to relube/load

TWIDI FWIW

alamogunr
05-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks to all. I will probably use a combination of the recommended methods. For the lightest loads I'll probably just LLA over the bullets. As I move up in velocity, I think removing the existing lube and relubing without sizing might be best.

I'm contacting Lee to see if I can get a push thru sizing die for .476 or .477 bullets. My throats measure .477
John