PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba wax

keebo52
05-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Where can I find carnauba wax? I don't drink so I don't have access to whiskey bottle seals.

Down South
05-04-2009, 11:34 PM
I found a good deal on Flebay a year or so ago. Haven't checked lately but I bought several gallon packs of flake Carnauba wax at a good deal. I still have all of it. I was planning on making my own lube till I discovered Lar's Carnauba Red at the bottom of the page for cheaper than I could make it myself.

TDC
05-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Pure carnauba wax is available in most stores selling larger selections of automotive wax products. I buy Meguiar's Carnauba Wax in the pure paste form.

Their wax comes in two types. They offer pure carnauba with and without added cleaners in both paste and liquid form. For our purposes I buy the paste form without any cleaner additives.. I believe cleaner additives should be avoided.

"Mother's Wax" also markets a carnauba in the pure paste form... Haven't tried it but it should be a useful product if you can't find the Meguiar's.

44man
05-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Go to Majestic Mountain Sage on the net. They have flakes by the pound. It is called carnauba wax fixed oil. It was cheap. They have lanolin by the pound too and about anything else you want.

Calamity Jake
05-05-2009, 08:21 AM
You can also find it wrapped around specialty cheeses, it's usualy red in color but not always.

billyb
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I google for flake carnauba wax and bought two pounds a few years ago. I use it as a flux in my casting pot. Dosen't flame up quite as bad as candle wax,smells pretty good , and takes very little. Bill

jdgabbard
05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, is it safe to say that most Red "sealing" wax is carnuba??? Because I work at a night club, and one of the beers we sell (which is brewed here in Tulsa) is sealed with a brittle red wax. I just assume it is Carnuba, but not for sure. Either way it would be kinda expensive to obtain a pound by that method...but it sure would be fun!!!

303Guy
05-06-2009, 05:25 AM
From Wikipedia.
Carnauba wax can produce a glossy finish and as such is used in automobile waxes, shoe polishes, food products such as candy corn, instrument polishes, and floor and furniture waxes and polishes, especially when mixed with beeswax and with turpentine. It is used as a coating on dental floss. Use for paper coatings is the most common application in the United States. It is the main ingredient in surfboard wax, combined with coconut oil.

sniper
05-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Home Depot sells cans of Johnson's Paste Wax, whcih I am told contains Carnauba. Home cleaning section. Lots of guys use that in their lube. (Assuming that is what you wnat it for.)

high standard 40
05-10-2009, 09:35 PM
From what I can gather, none of the available auto paste waxes contain much carnauba. Meguiars wax made with pure carnauba actually has only a small percentage of it along with silicone, polymers, solvents, and water. The largest single ingredient by volume is water. This according to the MSDS for "Meguiars Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax". JPWs percentage of Carnuaba is also very low.
It would be best to purchase the Carnuaba flakes.

keebo52
05-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for something to harden my lube which is a variation of the Felix Lube formula. It's a little soft and stickier than snail snot. Guess I'll try the carnauba flakes.