View Full Version : export question

05-04-2009, 09:38 PM
I am sure there are people here can answer my question. I had a request to sell some fired cases to someone in another country. for some reason, I don't think it is legal to export cases. can someone tell me what the law is on sales to another country?

05-05-2009, 12:27 AM
I believe that you are correct...

A member here from Sweden tried to send me some brass and customs snatched it up.


05-05-2009, 12:49 AM
................Various countries have differing laws. Some countries do not allow their citizens to own firearms or ammo, that is used by their military. Some possibly outlaw ALL military ammo, regardless whose military uses it. If it is an English speaking country you might find the answer via the internet. Another thing to do would be to contact their closest consulate to you. If you should get a "No problem, send it" I'd sure get it in writting.

The next step would be to contact our State Department and see what they have to say. Quite possibly they may give you some pointers and/or shortcuts.

Remember, you me and everyone else reading this know exactly what empty cartridge brass is, and how lethal it can be, which is totally NON lethal. This may be the simplist and easiest couple of phone calls you've ever done. But in case it IS a no-no, you do need to find out, and if it is okay you also need to know the RIGHT way to go about it.

If you do not do it right, in todays political climate I'd sure hate to run afoul of some minor government functionary who isn't looking forward to spending another day under his supervisor's desk, and instead thinks he could make a name for himself by crucifying you for some minor oopsie.


The Double D
05-05-2009, 01:02 AM
It's been a while since I worked this but yes you do need an export license for fired cases.

The best way to get the correct answer is to write a letter to:

PM/DDTC, SA-1, 12td Floor Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
Bureau of Political Military Affairs
U.S. Department of State
Washington, D.C. 20522-0112

The State Department is responsible for control of exports of munitions. In the letter tell them what caliber and quantity of cartridges cases you wish to export and to what country you wish to send them. Ask for a one time personal exemption from licensing for exportation. I do not know if that personal exemption still exist as there has been some changes since I last worked export enforcement and retired.

The only correct answer will come from this agency.

This covers only the export from the country.

You also may be required to provided an end user certificate that shows the shipment can legally imported into the country of destination.

05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't know of another site like this one and the quality of the members. you can ask about any question and get a detailed answer from an expert on the subject. it amazes me the amount of knowledge the group possesses, and is willing to share. I appreciate the expertise that is available for the asking