PDA

View Full Version : Way to Clean Bullets

big uns
02-27-2006, 01:31 AM
I came across 2k 38 Caliber bullets at a pawn shop at a cheap price because they had been setting around collecting dust in an open container. Can these bullets be cleaned and delubed? I would like to shoot them rather than melt them down. Any thoughts on the subject?

Dale53
02-27-2006, 02:03 AM
You can put them in a bucket of water and heat the water until the lube floats to the top. Cut the heat off and carefully pour the water off. The lube normally floats to the top and is easily skimmed off. That is if the lube is "normal". There are high temperature lubes that may not work well with this plan. Then carefully and gently pour the bullets onto a dry turkish towel and gently towel them dry. Re-lube and you are back in business.

I suggest that you NOT use your wife's favorite sauce pan for this procedure...

Good luck!

Dale53

Poygan
02-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Onced upon a time I would buy commercial cast from a friend but I didn't like the hard wax lube they came with. I don't load large quantities at a time so I would use a shallow pan on a hot plate in the garage (probably wouldn't use this method in the kitchen) and melt the lube over a medium heat. Picked the boolits out with a needle nose plyers and would relube them with FWFL. They usually worked OK but not as good as casting them myself.

zuke
02-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Cut th top off a 2 liter pop bottle, pour in bullet's till it's half full and then add gasoline to the 3/4 full point.

Let sit for a couple day's and the bullet's should all be lube free.

Junior1942
02-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I found some bullets I cast and lubed maybe in 1975. The lube was dry and brittle. So I added some Lee Liquid Alox and tumble lubed them. The LLA combined with the old lube just fine, and the bullets also shot just fine.

shooter575
02-27-2006, 10:30 AM
I found a box with a 1000 200 gr RNFP in 430 dia.I used a basket from a baby sized deep fryer. Dip em in boiling water and all clean in 5 minutes.Worked like a champ.

big uns
03-01-2006, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the replies! I may have to try all 5 different ways. I was thinking that boiling them would work but wanted other options.

NVcurmudgeon
03-01-2006, 04:47 PM
I found a box with a 1000 200 gr RNFP in 430 dia.I used a basket from a baby sized deep fryer. Dip em in boiling water and all clean in 5 minutes.Worked like a champ.

shooter, I see that your signature is a quote from Ambrose Bierce, an all-time great curmudgeon, so you may lean that way, too. But advocating deep-frying babies? That may be going a little too far!

waksupi
03-01-2006, 08:54 PM
shooter, I see that your signature is a quote from Ambrose Bierce, an all-time great curmudgeon, so you may lean that way, too. But advocating deep-frying babies? That may be going a little too far!

Don't forget Jonathan Swift, and his suggestion on eating English babies! Nothing wrong with eating them, as long as they are small enough, that the bones are still soft.

Lloyd Smale
03-02-2006, 07:13 AM
sorry but if theyd collected dust id be remelting them. I dont think a few thousand dirty bullets for free is worth a damaged barrel. Melt them and recast them.

wills
03-02-2006, 08:56 AM
I have to agree with curmudgeon. Too much cholesterol in fried foods.

Old Jim
03-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey guys. Get it right. those were Irish babies.

wills
03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Right you are, and how negligent of us not to have noticed earlier.

http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html