PDA

View Full Version : Another gun show report...

mike in co
05-03-2009, 10:15 PM
PRIMERS SOLD FOR 55-60 per k for small and large pistol. 80 for large rifle. only one dealer had small rifle....$120 per k..and sr br...$125.......i do not know if any sold, i did not get a chance to check.( several dealers had win lp...seems thats what win kicked out a couple weeks ago..just got to the dealers)

i had little brass to sell, but sold out of 40 s&w. 45acp and had only 1500 9mm left( 3 bags). i had no 308 and no 223( tho i did buy some....was suprised).

i took 10 k os sm p mag and sold 7 for 60/k....these were not mine but owned by one of my customers....he made a little as the repalcement cost in 6 mos. will eat about 50% of what he made..he is a cowboy shooter shoota a lot, but thinks he has enought till more are in stock at "normal" prices( i'm guessing "normal" will be $30-35/k)

mike in co
ps
i picked up a 6" dan wesson 357, an sks and an 03a3 complete rem recvr( to go with my nos 2 groove rem bbl)......so on the parts side...not bad.

GabbyM
05-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Mike If I were you I wouldn't bank on prices being higher once this short fall is flushed out. Remember we are at the start of a recession. I don't have a crystal ball but?

I do remember the silver market the Hunt brothers put in play. I missed getting burned on that one but have been bit in the tail a couple of times trying to be a smart guy. I'm just thinking these hoarders don''t have ten days worth of food on the shelf and will get hungry at some point. But then we haven't seen the rush up to the end of the world as we know it in 2012 on the winter solstice. What a bunch of BS that's is.

I did by 5K small rifle primers last summer just because I had some new brass to load. Lucky timing. But now I'm not wanting to go shoot my new rifle. I'm not selling at $60 per K either.

Ole
05-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Once the ammo fills the Walmart shelves again, look for that as a sign that we'll all be swimming in primers in the near future. :mrgreen:

Why would Federal/Winchester/Remington divert primer production to components when they can get 10x as much revenue by selling ammo?

Seems simple to me.

mooman76
05-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Maybe they will loosen up some when peole stop buying their powder, bullets and brass. After all what good are those things without primers?

mike in co
05-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Mike If I were you I wouldn't bank on prices being higher once this short fall is flushed out.

i have posted elsewhere...one of my suppliers "says" wolf wants in on the new prices, and that my cost on wolf primers will go up...est retail at about $30/k...that is a 6-7 dollar bump.
i have not seen it in print.....

mike in co

Tom Herman
05-04-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm glad that you had fun at the show and got some good parts.
Powders are slowly filling the shelves here, I even found a brick of SP primers the other day ($60/M). Not happy about the price, but I needed them.
BTW: I wanted to tell you that I took your advice on storing primers: They are out of the ammo cans, and stashed in styrofoam coolers.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

legend
05-04-2009, 03:24 AM
gillette wyoming gun show this weekend had VERY few primers.

cci 200s were 70 a thousand and you had to buy 5000 to get that.

localy we can get them at 39 a thousand...

i told him i hoped nobody bought any as he is a crook,

we had more to say to each other...............

Missoulaz28
05-04-2009, 03:58 AM
wanna talk about crooks at gunshows. The show here in MIssoula last month I saw a guy selling WWB 9mm at $40 a box. I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and got 200 at $19.88 a box.

Bad Water Bill
05-04-2009, 04:59 AM
I went to the Crown Point In gun show Sat. As I walked down the aisle one dealer had Federal Champion 525 count 22 LR at $30.00 per box. CCI Mini mag 100 count for $13.00 When I saw the hand writen sign on his counter I kept on walking. THIS AINT 1935 GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR F-----G A-- AND PAY UP OR GET OUT OF MY FACE I never found out if he had any primers but with his attitude I will quit shooting before I buy from him.

ddeaton
05-04-2009, 06:54 AM
white box 380 from walmart at the show Sun qty 100 per box priced at $80 per box. Ruger LCP's were selling at $399, retail price is $289. I seen 3 sell in half an hour. primers, what were there, $60 something a K. I dont need anything at those prices. I bought a Dewey cleaning rod, same price as has always been, I felt like I took advantage of him!:smile:

Recluse
05-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I went to the Crown Point In gun show Sat. As I walked down the aisle one dealer had Federal Champion 525 count 22 LR at $30.00 per box. CCI Mini mag 100 count for $13.00 When I saw the hand writen sign on his counter I kept on walking. THIS AINT 1935 GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR F-----G A-- AND PAY UP OR GET OUT OF MY FACE I never found out if he had any primers but with his attitude I will quit shooting before I buy from him.

You won't have to quit shooting.

Darwin takes care of jackals like that, one way or another.

But, it's also just another reason I've avoided gun shows for the past fifteen-plus years. My wife and I will hit maybe one gun show every year to two years, just to see what's out there.

Gun shows used to be fun and you used to could find some real bargains. Now they're just traveling circuits for the bandits in our industry. I'd much rather buy from individuals via Shotgun News and word-of-mouth than buy from many of the dealers I meet at gun shows.

On the flip side, though, there are some folks around the country that had it NOT been for gun shows, I never would've met them--and I enjoy doing business with them.

Good and bad, I suppose. I just see far more Bad at recent shows than I have Good. At least I'm not seeing as many "Special Forces/SEAL/PJ/Recon/Ranger/SAS/CIA" wannabes/pretending-they-were types anymore. You know, the guys walking around in old BDUs (usually jungle camo) with a black t-shirt with some catchy "kill them all" slogan on it, a third-hand beret they got at an Army-Navy surplus store, and have a Mini-14 tricked out slung over their shoulder and they're telling "war stories" to whoever will listen.

I remember local reporters zeroing in on those buffoons, and then presenting them on the evening news as "typical gun show patrons."

At least I haven't seen too many of THEM around lately. Thank goodness.

:coffee:

Frank46
05-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Last gun show (notice it ain't a fun show any longer) Rem small pistol primers were going for $30 a thousand, or $150 for 5000. Will be funny to see what the dogrobbers are selling them this time around. Usually saturday's at the show is a mad house. Unfortunately bargains are a thing of the past. One dealer had a bunch of old rusty pistols and revolvers of the no name brand. looked liked he cleaned out an old pawn shop. From the looks of them, I wouldn't shoot one if it were tied to a tree and I had a 50' long string on the trigger. I think they all get together before the show opens to the public and raise their prices and just see what the market will bear. One genius had a chopped lee enfield #1MKIII with bubba'd stock that he had a $350 price tag on. Sometimes I think its better to stand outside and question the guys before they get inside on what they are selling and sometimes you can get a pretty good deal. Frank

captaint
05-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Mike in CO - or whomever - Might I have a problem keeping primers in the ammo can? I've never heard of this one. I will say tho, always just let the primers sit on the shelf, and I mean for years. Never had an issue. But the ammo can suggestion I heard a while back made sense to me, so I thought I would give it a try. Possible problems? Mike

mike in co
05-04-2009, 05:42 PM
primers in ammo cans are just fine......AMMO CANS WITH PRIMERS IN THEM IN HOUSE FIRES IS NOT FINE.

it will not endear you to your local fire dept.....and if you tell them they are in the cans, they will probably let the house burn to the ground.....your house is not worth thier life( and i agree).....and then when the insurance commpay asked why the let it burn....they maay just be reluctant to pay out....you made your house unsafe for the fire fighters.
not the same with ammo nor with powder.....

just one mans opinion.

mike in co

jsizemore
05-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Went to the gun show in Raleigh this past weekend. Paid $48/1000 for Rem LR mag primers, $102/8lb jug of Promo. Ran into a friend/gunshop owner 2 aisles over and he had some Win LR mag primers at his shop for $33/1000. Picked up 2000.

Some guy/******* had a price of $129/1000 on a box of Federal primers. Didn't even look to see what kind they were. He also had some CCI for $89/1000. Big *******.

Most ammo that was selling was about 10-25% above normal(?).

Absolutely no 380 anything. Told the guy at the reloading supplies that I ought to cast some 380 for sale and he said he has 2 Magma casting machines and to loaders and he's saleing all he can make. Good for him. He was up on his price about 10-15% and he had a line at checkout 20 yards long. Nobody else was close.

I didn't go to the show till 12 on sat and I only had to wait 15 minutes to get in. Shortest line I've seen in 3 years. Lots of folks, just not crowded like the 2 shows just after the election.