PDA

View Full Version : New member

4Browns
05-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Talking to my buddies over at Specialty Pistols forum the other day about starting to cast bullets for a few of my pistols and they told me that if I wanted to learn about casting then I MUST come over to this forum and hang out for a while. :-D

I will be starting out casting for .38 and 357 but quickly moving to 45ACP and 460 S&W. Most likely I will just lurk awhile, but if there is anyone in the Lansing MI area that wouldn't mind a newbie looking over thier shoulder for a 1/2 hour I would love to watch you cast a few bullets just to see how the operation works.

Bob Brown
NRA Life Member
SCI Member
Brown3345@yahoo.com

Gunslinger
05-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Welcome abord.

I'm pretty new at this as well, and haven't been here for so long.

My advise is to start reading the posts here, every aspect of casting has been covered and the info is just waiting for you.

And you might as well start looking for wheel weights and other sources for lead... you'll need it, you'll need a lot and you'll need it soon :-D

snaggdit
05-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Welcome! You will find lots of helpful people here and lots of answers as well. Use the search function and read the stickies and when those make you think of questions post em!

MtGun44
05-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Welcome. Buy a Lyman Cast Bullet book and read it. It'll give you a good head
start. If you don't understand something, ask.

The biggest error most folks make is not slugging their barrel so that they know what
diameter boolits to make. Start with about .001 to .002 bigger than your measured
groove diameter and use a 'known good' mold and lube. Once you have that working
you can head out on the edges and experiment, but I suggest you make it easy to
succeed at first and stay well "inside the lines". Also, if you are doing a revolver, start
with the sticky on revolver accy in the handgun section. You need the throat diameter
in addition than the groove diam for a revo.

I'll warn you that it can be pretty addictive. :-D

Also - these are really nice folks here and they know a whole lot about this subject.

Bill

Slow Elk 45/70
05-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Welcome 4Browns, you came to the right place to get information and learn about the cast boolit. As stated read and ask questions if you don't find what you need.
Good Luck:lol:

4Browns
05-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Thank you guys. Like Bill says, I am sure that this is an addictive hobby! For the 38 357 Boolits I will be starting with a wad cutter style, round nose for the 45 ACP and for the 460 I am thinking of a mold similar to the Cast Performance .45/335gr WLNGC.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=330694

Looks like this will be a lot of fun!

Tom Herman
05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Casting is addictive, and a bit frutrsating at first, but I have done well and am saving a TON of money!
They the four cavity Lyman 358429: It's a WICKED casting machine! I ususally run two molds, alternating between them. Right now, the other one is a .45 LC, also a four cavity Lyman... I put out a LOT of bullets!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Echo
05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Don't know what spondulix you want to invest in the casting effort, but I suggest you consider the Lee molds, either 2-gang or 6-gang. They have good designs, turn out good boolits, and are cheap. If you decide (down the pike) you want to get out of casting, the equipment can be re-sold with little, if any, loss. On the other hand, if you find you LIKE it, as may be the case, then you will find yourself acquiring many more molds. Believe me on this. Don't ask me how I know.