PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify these?

nicholst55
05-02-2009, 11:40 PM
It's .45 Colt primed brass, but I've never seen either packaging like this, or brass with the red plug in it. Ideas? Age?

I'm not planning to buy them; just idle curiosity.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/collectors.cgi?read=30908

stubshaft
05-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Blanks - probably used for western movies or re-enactments.

Box13
05-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Im guessing someone loaded them.The tops are rolled in a little like a crimp.And the red...maybe loaded with powder and shot then waxed at the end.Just a guess though..Robin

HeavyMetal
05-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Blanks or shot loads! Can't tell which but since the box says empty case's I 'm going to go out on a limb and say shot loads.

Lots of these shot loads were used during the hayday of the trick shooter! Many of the shooters in the old Wild West Show that Buffalo Bill ran used these because they were inside a tent or building when performing.

The idea was simple: don't miss in public!

Down South
05-03-2009, 09:04 AM
I would think shot loads too. Looks like the original owner may have purchased new primed brass then converted it into shot loads and never used it. The only way to know for sure would be to disassemble one of the rounds to see.

giddyupgo55
05-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I had a couple hundred of these in 38 cal. Picked them up when I was in the guard. I don't recall what they were used for. I do belive they were used in some kind of tool and the color on the end told you how strong they were.I do know that they are not shot shells or at lease the ones I had. Shot them in my 357 made a lot of noise and a mess to clean up afterwards. Did this help muddy the water more.