PDA

View Full Version : Maven's Day at the Range W/ K-31 and Saeco 315

Maven
05-02-2009, 05:56 PM
The other day I had a chance to test Saeco #315 in one of my K-31's using the bump die Smokemjoe made for me. #315 has been a stellar performer in both of my K-31's, but I couldn't seat it longer than 2.82" or maybe 2.83" and sometimes had to rap either rifle's bolt smartly with the heel of my hand to get it to go into battery. Joe's bump die reduces the nose and first driving band enough to allow me to seat them to 3.03" and without smacking the bolt either. The target below shows 1 sighter at the very top and then two groups: A very tight group above the bullseye and four within it (my last 4 shots). I changed my point of aim slightly for those last four. The load was 20.6grs. WC 820 with CCI primers and once-fired Graf's brass. Btw, the rifle is as issued except for "accurizing" it as per Pierre Ste. Marie's description on the Swiss Rifles forum (very easy to do if you have the washers and loctite on hand). Just for grins, I'd like to try Ly. #311291 and Lee C309-180-R in the bump die also, since they shoot almost as well as #315, but have to be seated rather deeply (to the crimp groove) if you want to avoid rapping the bolt. Btw -794 (top of target) is the last three digits of the serial no. of the K-31 I used. I have to keep them separate because the sight settings (elevation) are different.

legend
05-02-2009, 06:19 PM
maven,

very nice!

what do you think your feet per second was?

Ben
05-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Maven:

I'd say that's some fine shooting with your K-31 ! ! !

Maven
05-02-2009, 08:26 PM
legend, Thanks! As for the velocity, I think somewhere between 1,700fps and 2,000fps, but in truth I haven't chronographed many loads lately, least of all those using WC 820. By the time I get to the range, the sun is almost directly overhead leading to many unrecorded shots (which hasn't exactly motivated me to set the thing up). However, your question is a fair one and I promise to be more diligent about chronographing my loads in the near future and including them here.

Maven
05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Ben, I didn't see your reply until just a few minutes ago. Thanks! Btw, I have two of those beauties and aside from the birch v. walnut stocks and slight variations in sight settings, they are practically the same with respect to accuracy.

Ben
05-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Maven:

The SAECO 315 and a K-31, sounds like that has accuracy written all over it ! !

I imagine that the " taper " on a 315 aids and facilitates those good groups that you're getting. My SAECO 315 cast .3015 on the nose and .311 on the rear band.

Ben