PDA

View Full Version : Shooting someone else's handgun/rifle

Big Boomer
05-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Ever have an interesting experience shooting some else's handgun/rifle? A few years back I was at the range and being an accuracy freak, I was concentrating on getting another good group with a handgun that is very good when I can do my part. Since I usually shoot hot loads, practicing for hunting, doing my part isn't always easy. That day the group was coming together nicely when I felt a tap on my shoulder. That really bothered me because I was shooting a group! I always use both ear plugs plus muffs, so getting to where I could hear took a few seconds. The young fellow had been shooting abut 20 feet away at another shooting station. I really wasn't paying much attention to his shooting, focusing on my target. He wasn't doing doing very well, he explained, and wanted to know if something was wrong with his new handgun, a semi-auto. He just handed the piece to me and I got my ears covered again and fired his semi-auto five rounds or so at my target stand which holds 6 or 8 targets and had unused targets. Five rounds is what I usually shoot for group in my revolvers. Very nice group about 4" high and about 4" to the left. I turned to him, handed him back his handgun and remarked that other than for getting the sights adjusted, there didn't seem to be a thing amiss with his gun. He never said a word - thank you or otherwise - went back to his shooting station and began to pack up his things and left. I thought his behavior was a little odd but resumed my shooting. I saw him again at the range a few months later and he came up to me and said, "Do you remember me?" I said that I recalled seeing him at the range but that I was afraid I didn't remember his name. He said, "A while back you shot my handgun and got a very nice group when I couldn't get a bullet on the target at 25 yards. I was embarrassed so badly that I just left! I'm glad that happened, though, because it taught me that I did not know how to shoot. I thought I did but I didn't. Come and watch me now." I did and he produced a very nice group with the same gun. Looking back, it would have worked out much better if I had taken the time to act as a coach, observe his shooting techniques (or lack) and make suggestions. He probably would have learned much more rapidly. As it was, because of my preoccupaton with my own shooting, he was left to his own devices or may have quit shooting altogether. We need to be aware of those around us and their needs and be as helpful as we can be to enhance newbies' experiences in the shooting sports. 'Tuck

montana_charlie
05-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't think you did anything wrong, Tuck. The guy didn't ask for advice, or coaching, so you had no way of knowing what he was most concerned about.

When he proved to himself (you proved it) that he didn't know how to shoot, he had the choice of finding a way to learn...or give up the sport. He did not communicate any of that to you, so you had no responsibility to even wonder what his problem might be.

Once he had his proof...that it was his technique, not the pistol...he had reached that first step which alcoholics have to surmount. He had to say, "Hello, I'm Joe and I'm a lousy shot."

You fired his pistol for him without knowing why (or if it was even safe to fire) and provided him with information. You did all that you were asked, and because you didn't tell him to get lost when he interrupted you, he learned...and continued to learn.

CM

Echo
05-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I volunteer at our local county range. One of my pleasures is to coach folks that seem to be having problems, especially with their pistol shooting. I'm a Distinguished/2600/Pres100 shooter, and know what I am talking about. I often ask a shooter if I can have one shot through his pistol - pick out a rock or stick on the berm (60 yards away) - point it out to the shooter, telling him/her that is what I'm aiming at (but don't promise to hit it!) - and occasionally hit it. That gives me some creds, and they often listen to my coaching.

The most important thing I tell them is to focus on the front sight. It usually is a surprise to them, and I usually see their groups improve. I'm Old & Ugly, out of condition, out of practice, out of dang near everything - except advice, that I give freely. If they choose not to heed, then they get no more advice from me - I let them expend their ammo and spray it in a safe direction with no idea... rant over. Now the only thing I have to contribute to the shooting sports is advice, of which I give freely, and offer, if not freely, then humbly.

Tuck, I'm glad you learned that we are our Brother's Keepers in this effort.

mooman76
05-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't think you did anything wrong either. You were probably taken back abit because he interupted your shooting as most of us would have been. Not that he's a bad person or anything but it would have been better manors and more resposible if he had waited until you paused to reload or something. I always try to be helpful myself but I don't like being pushy either so I probably would have reacted pretty much the same.
I am glad that it worked out for the good though and like he said, it was probably what he needed.

monadnock#5
05-02-2009, 04:36 PM
You did for him nothing more nor less than what he asked of you. Once he knew it was him and not the gun, he needed to go to the "Wilderness" to decide what to do next. You couldn't have handled it any better than you did. With some people, too much help is worse than not enough. I'd wager your young friend is a DIY kind of guy.

OBXPilgrim
05-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Working at our rifle range one day during the "open to the public - sight in day" before deer season. Guy comes up to my table and I'm spotting for him & he's throwing shots all over the paper. I'm sure he was on target before he closed his eyes and yanked the trigger. Guy was scared to death of that 30-06, and he said he didn't know what he was doing wrong. I finally asked if I could load it & shoved the round down under the bolt as I closed it. When he squeezed it off, he KNEW what he was doing wrong.

I would have never done that if he hadn't said something - not exactly what some folks want to hear. Since he ASKED - that makes a difference.

Blammer
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
OBX, you're a sneaky SOB! :) and I like it! :)

jsizemore
05-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Tuck, you may have saved an innocent bystanders life by showing that fellow where the problem actually resided. Thank you.

Tom W.
05-02-2009, 11:28 PM
It happens... I was at the range a while back and a young man from Dothan was there with a new "black rifle" that he had just purchased in Birmingham. He was doing a lot of shooting, but not a lot of hitting. He was watching me shoot and eased on over and asked what I was shooting.. I let him shoot my rifles and one pistol, which he'd never done before, and was a bit hesitant due to what he'd read in the gun rags about the "savage recoil."

He then proceeded to tell me that he couldn't hit a coke can at 25 yards with his new rifle,was about to trade it off, and would I mind looking at it? I told him I'd never fired one before, but I'd see what I could do. The rifle was shooting about a mile high at 25, and he said that he'd tried adjusting the sights but it only got worse. I got permission to fiddle with his sights, and the next three shots rolled an old Mountain Dew can that was on the 25 yard berm. The young fellow just stood there with his mouth hanging open....
I asked if he was still interested in trading it off, but he declined....

hpdrifter
05-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Did nothing wrong and I totally understand the preoccupation, but a "Having problems?" may have started something both of you may have appreciated.

Course, a lot of people need to learn on their own, the hard way, for things to sink in.

Remember, "A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child". Can prolly apply to helping anyone someway or another.

Aegis
05-03-2009, 04:17 PM
The first time I shot trap I asked for help. I learned alot that day from Terry, Dan, Carl, Larry, JW, and Jimmy. Because of them I love to shot trap. They just took me under their wings. They told and showed me the right ways to shoot trap.
So thanks guys!:drinks:

missionary5155
05-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Greetings
At least 10 years ago at our range near Danville Illinois I was shooting at my normal Monday morning outing . I had a couple military rifles and was popping a hung bowling pin at 100 and off and on popping the 200 yd gong. Another feller showed up (rare on Monday AM ) and started hammering away with a HK 308. I did not really pay much atention. Soon he walked over and we talked awhile . I showed him whatever rifle I had out. He asked if I would mind shooting his HK as he was having trouble hitting the 200 yd gong. I am always ready to shoot a different rifle so happily said yes.
Now I still have 25-20 in my right eye(was 30-20) and I grew up with a rifle. So I settled in with his HK and figured " Battle Sights" should be right onwith his 7.62 military ammo. First round "Whack" and the next nine were the same. He then asked me how I did that..
Welll within 30 minutes he was popping my 100 yard bowling pin and the 200 yard gong. He was jerking the trigger and closing his eye just at trigger pull. Got that cured with 10 minutes of dry firing on a fired cartrige.
I have asked people to shoot my handguns off and on when I cannot hit a wall... it helps the constitution and thinking...
Mike in Peru.

higgins
05-03-2009, 05:30 PM
There have been a few occasions over the years when someone else has asked me to shoot their rifle to see if I can do better, and there have been a few situations when I have tactfully offered unsolicited suggestions if the situation warranted and the other shooter seemed receptive after some small-talk conversation. It's a good opportunity to help someone who doesn't understand something as basic as how to shoot off of a bench, or which way to move a rear sight to move POI. I have offered to watch someone else's shots with my spotting scope when they can't see their hits, and take it from there. It's easy to forget that many, particularly younger, shooters have had no formal training in the basics, and no parent, relative, friend, or other mentor. Most novice shooters seem to welcome some coaching, and I think just about anything experienced shooters can do to help newer shooters along is good as long as it's done with a helpful, amiable attitude that shows you want to help instead of just criticize or belittle.