PDA

View Full Version : Got lead, now what

chemist308
05-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I finally have a Lee pot, three bullet molds (one rifle, one pistol one blackpowder) and now about 65# of lead pipe and 65# of wheel weights.

Now what do I do. I'm guessing the next step is to get a pot I don't care much about and melt the lead and flux it. Questions:

The pot should probably be a cast iron dutch oven from a yard sale, right?

Will stainless steel spoons (one solid ladel type, one slotted) work with molten lead, or do I really need a cast dipper?

And finally, but most importantly, how do I go about fluxing the lead?

The lead pipe was sewer pipe--any special pre-treatment involved here before I melt it?

runfiverun
05-01-2009, 10:43 PM
i use a soup lade made of stainless for my ingot pouring.
throw some old candle pieces in there and stir the crap outta it literally.
the sewer pipe may have some sludge type stuff in it do it last and separate your ingots.
a cast iron pot is nice a cheap one is nicer.

454PB
05-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Most all here will tell you to smelt in a separate pot, but since you are using a dipper, it's not a big deal. You can clean the pot later.

I suppose you could dipper cast using a spoon, but it will be messy. Better to invest in an actual casting dipper.

Flux with anything that contains carbon, most new guys use candles, old motor oil, or sawdust. It will smoke like crazy, so do this with good ventilation. Add a pea size chunk of candle wax or a half teaspoon of oil to the fully melted pot of lead and stir thoroughly. The impurities will rise to the surface as what looks like dirt. This dross can be removed with a spoon, or left in place until you're done casting. Dipper casting is easier if the dross is removed, I leave it in place for bottom draw casting. It acts as an oxygen barrier and minimizes oxidation on the surface.

The sewer pipe should be pure lead, and will work fine for your blackpowder casting. The wheel weights are good for higher velocity and pressure loads in smokeless loads. Some mix WW and pure lead 50/50 and water quench for more hardness.

You are starting down a long road of learning, read all the stickies and posts you can stand. There is an absolute treasure trove of knowledge available here.

Snyd
05-01-2009, 11:08 PM
...You are starting down a long road of learning, read all the stickies and posts you can stand. There is an absolute treasure trove of knowledge available here.

Boy you said it. I've been lurking here for a couple months, learning a lot and have been collecting lead as well. I've got over 4- 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights (just got one bucket today for free :mrgreen:) and scored on 1- 21lb Linotype Pig. I messed up last weekend and passed up 2- 21lb linotype pigs at a gunshow for 25 bucks each. Oh well, I've got plenty of lead to get started. I'll start out casting for my 45 Colt handgun and 454 Casull/45 Colt levergun and then 44 and maybe even 38. Been watching here and ebay for molds. I'd like to get 255gr and about a 360gr or so 45 molds. One for plinkin and one for killin.

I've started to sort the clip-on and stick-on weights and will smelt it down separately, I scored a couple muffin tins dumpster diving as well as a pretty big, fairly deep cast iron frying pan. I figure I'll start small until I get the hang of it and keep an eye out for a dutch oven.

I plan on using a heavy duty grate with my MSR XGK Expedition whitegas stove as a heat source for starters. I think it puts out more BTU's than my old Sears (coleman type) stove. The thing sounds like a jet engine.

One question, I have an old steel pan that must be enameled I think, it's white but some is wore off the edges so I can see the steel. Do you think I could use it as a smelting pot? It's pretty big but I wouldn't "fill it up". It's not very thick, but thicker that say a standard stainless steel pot.

Thanks for all your info here and I'll have to post pics of my first lead muffins in a couple weeks :-D

snaggdit
05-02-2009, 12:18 AM
I "smelt" in an enameled steel pot. Cast iron is good, but thrift store cheap works until a deal falls into my lap.

leadman
05-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Read up on how to identify the zinc weights so you do not contaminate your lead.

If you use old candle wax for fluxing light the smoke on fire, this clears it up real well. Above all make sure you wear long sleeves and long pants. Boots are good with the pants over the top so lead can't go down your shoe. A leather apron is nice, but not absolutely necessary. Gloves, face shield and a hat are a must. Staying up-wind is good. No eating or drinking without washing first.

I would not add that old sewer pipe to a hot pot. Start cold to prevent violent eruptions. The crud inside can hold moisture.

Stay safe and have fun. Let us know how you are coming along.

Slow Elk 45/70
05-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Hullo Chemist308, I would go on about your questions, but you have answers already,

I would suggest you go to the "GoatLips" stickie and go through his post, he touches on most of what you ask about and a lot of great "Stuff" for folks just starting. Great Info. and easy for the newbie to understand.

Good luck and good casting

chemist308
05-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Most all here will tell you to smelt in a separate pot, but since you are using a dipper, it's not a big deal. You can clean the pot later.

Actually, I also have a Lee 10# pot. But I'm guessing the first melt will leave a lot of crap inside the pot, so I was planning on doing my initial melt and fluxing outside on a burner stand, in some pot that I can pick up at a yard sale.