PDA

View Full Version : What else do I need ?

softpoint
05-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Ok, I have 200 45/70 cases prepped here, mouths flared a bit, maybe a tiny bit more than I usually do for regular loading.
I have a new Ranch dog 422/gr. mold. I had a 350, but thought the longer bullet would be easier to wrap. My plan is to cast the RDbullet out of pure lead. Then squeeze it down to .457. That will iron out some of the tumble lube grooves, I will then wrap with computor paper, continous feed type. Should I use 1or 2 wraps?
After that I'll try lubing with case size lube, pushing through a Lee die that I have honed out to .4595.
I also have a copy of Paul Matthews Paper Jacket here .
So what else do I need to make PPa success? :-D

docone31
05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Two wraps, trial and error, and persistance.
Use just enough case lube to slick the patch. It doesn't take much. I use Auto Wax. Just a little.
You will want to tighten the neck on the patched load, not crimped.
Roll it tight.
Good luck.

pdawg_shooter
05-04-2009, 08:09 AM
You might want to slug your barrel. It may be .457 is a tad big. I size mine to .4515 before I patch and run through a .459 push through die after lubing. Always use 2 wraps, one wont stay on!

softpoint
05-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks pdawg, I shot my first cobbled together, crude looking bullets today. My first group at 50 yards was about 2" out of my Marlin. I'm not disappointed, though, I only had recycled printer paper, and that stuff gets really weak when you moisten it. Furnace doesn't get hot enough to cast really nice bullets out of pure lead, so out comes the Coleman tomorrow! The good part; I shot 48 grains 4895 for a trial load, Shoot 3, look down bore. Nothing in there! Walk back in the house, get bore light, look again. Still nothing! Shoot some more, repeat. Still nothing! Now I'm pretty sure most folks here know what your barrel would look like if you shot a handful of pure lead, gascheck design bullets without the check, and no lube at about 16-1700 fps.!!! Amazing!
I do have a question, however. I'm shooting Ranch Dogs 425 gr bullet. It weighs 444 gr. out of pure lead. I'm not using gaschecks though the bullet is made for them. Would I be better off using a non gascheck mold? I have a 400 gr. Lee plainbase that has really small lube grooves. I'm sizing to 458, wrapping, smearing just a little Redwing mink oil paste on and pushing through a lee sizer I've honed out to .4595. I will probably get some custom molds made in the future!
I'll bet a 444 gr pure lead bullet at about 1700 fs would make a real hunting load!
:bigsmyl2::castmine::drinks:

pdawg_shooter
05-04-2009, 04:58 PM
You will find with paper patch bullets the next shot cleans the bore from the last shot! I load a 430gr over 52gr AA2495, or 50gr 3031 if I feel the need for speed. None of my rifles see a bare bullet any more. I use green bar printer paper (16#) on most everything now. Like I said I size .4515, 2 wraps, let dry, lube with BAC and push through a .459 die. If I can help in anyway, e-mail me at pdawg.shooter@gmail.com.

kbstenberg
05-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Soft Point a question please. In your opening thread you said you opened a lee die? Did you make the inside dimension larger? Was that the sizer die or the seater die. If that is the case i never even considered the possibility that you could do that!! Can you explain how it is done or send me to a thread that will explain.

montana_charlie
05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
In your opening thread you said you opened a lee die? Did you make the inside dimension larger? Was that the sizer die or the seater die.
He did not change the interior of a reloading die...neither a full-length sizing die nor a bullet seating die.

What he reshaped was a Lee Lube & Size bullet sizing die.

Easier to believe...??

CM

softpoint
05-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Yep, just the lube & size die. & only because I couldn't get a .460 from Ranchdog when I ordered molds:drinks:

pdawg_shooter
05-05-2009, 08:08 AM
It is real easy to open up a Lee push through die. I use a split mandrel and 320 grit emery cloth. Finish with 600 grit and then crocus cloth. I opened a .285 to .304 in about 20 minutes.

softpoint
05-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Thats how I did it, pdawg, Split mandrel & drill, 320, 600, 1200, then a light polish with dremel tool buffing burr and red compound. (prolly spent more time than necessary on it,but sure slick and shiny on the inside):drinks::Fire:

pdawg_shooter
05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
I now make mine out of 4140 pre-threaded rod I get where I work. Works real good!